would you buy a trotter cross

charmaine

Visit site
I just want a bombproof hack which she seems to be, I currently have her on trial however I think the owner is asking far too much for her

Gomer

Visit site
I know lots of re-scholed trotters (abroad) and I think the main issue is if they have been raced or trained for trotting. Most of them seem to have a nice, handleable temper. However the build is quite particular and I guess the characteristics of the breed is not what you would look for in a high level jumping or dressage horse. However I do think some of them certainly turn into nice allrounders that do basic dressage, jumping etc and i also know people use them for trekking and lower level endurance competitions.

Since this is a cross you won't have any of the problems relating to re-schooling etc but might be worth looking at its feet very carefully - in my experience the hooves of (warmblood, ie the light built) trotter types are sometimes a weak spot and I guess they are not the strongest point of a TB either. To be honest, I don't know anything about this particular cross or much about any other non-purebred trotters but if the character and conformation is good and the hooves strong, I think it could be a decent horse for hacking and so on.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
We have 2 trotter X on our yard. One is a cleveland bay X and the other a welsh X I think.

The Cleveland Bay can jump etc and he is lovely but the other can't jump....she just catapults you over her head!
blush.gif
grin.gif

They both canter although my friend and I have both had concussion brought on by them falling into their fast trots. It is exceptionally funny and you need to have a very good seat!
grin.gif

I would have no qualms a bout buying one if it could do what I wanted it to do.
laugh.gif

Vey

Visit site
Yes, I would. I personally would think that in time I could train it to canter - and a horse that has been driven over miles and miles of road, as trotters often have been, don't nap and don't spook, which is just what you want. BUT be prepared for getting her to canter to take a long time. She has been carefully taught not to do it!

dwi

Visit site
No I wouldn't. Most other horses you would buy can already canter and don't pace. I used to work at a yard that had one and while he could be lovely there were just those days when he would revert to being a trotter. If he was really lovely in every other way then possibly but if it was a choice between a trotter and an equally nice *normal* horse then I don't see the need to over complicate things. Add to this the fact that Bill was awful to hack in company because he naturally wanted to trot about three times as fast as all the other horses even when he wasn't pacing.

It seems to me that if it bothers you enough to ask the question then you already know the answer.

allijudd

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I would. I personally would think that in time I could train it to canter - and a horse that has been driven over miles and miles of road, as trotters often have been, don't nap and don't spook, which is just what you want. BUT be prepared for getting her to canter to take a long time. She has been carefully taught not to do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

my aunt trains and breed standardbreds (trotters!) abndn races them in scotland and is highly successful..retraining is not a problem as you have to remeber that a pace is the 4th gait of a horse, these horses can canter but are pulled up as cantering in their harnesses can kill them if there is an accident, generally they would prefer to go into canter than use a fast trot, slowing them up to accept the canter rather than rushing into it helps.....

Fransurrey

Visit site
My friend has a pacer x TB and has no problems with trot or canter. They are normally taught to pace, rather than it being a natural gait (strange strappy contraptions which keep the front and rear legs together on each side!). My friend's mare has a floaty trot, with the rear legs going slightly outwards, but other than that she's fine. Friend has ruined her though, in doing endurance. Legs are all knackered!

albert

Visit site
i had one and he was lovely

had no problems cantering.

It is a natural gait for them, the straps are just to stop them cantering, but it is a natural gait.

Ablert was the best horse ever, but he was driven and a very young age hard on the roads and he legs where shot to bits, thats the only things that would put me off, they are driven at 18 months old and they like them to hit 30, this tends to be on the roads

Parkranger

Visit site
I rode a trotter and she seriously could not canter....she just didn't understand the concept and at 15 I don't think wanted to learn either.....

tiny

Visit site
Not all trotters pace. French trotters do not. Many French trotters are excellent jumpers. The winner of the Irish Grand Prix league Zara's Pride, is a trotter - and the great Galoubet was half French Trotter.

Fairynuff

Visit site
wasnt Jappaloup De Luze from trotter stock? One of Italys great jumpers, Albin ridden by Juan carlos Garcia, is out of a french trotter mare and boy can he jump.He won a huge class in Calgary this year at the age of 18! Yes, Id buy one . Mairi.