Would you buy an older horse?

susan_w

Visit site
Would you buy an older horse, say 18 years old?

I want to sell my daughters old horse, which has been out on loan for a year, but the loaners have come back to say that they can't afford to keep him anymore, as the mum is being made redundant.

Now I cannot seriously afford two livery bills, therefore, think that selling him is probably the best bet. He's still full of life, and loves his jumping, and cross country, and also does a pretty respectable dressage test. He doesn't have any vices (ooh, except he's a door kicker at feeding time), and I've had him for 4 years, and he's never been lame (touch wood). I would imagine that he will keep going for a good few years yet, but I'm interested in whether people would just turn down an old horse because of their age, or whether they see further than that.

Obviously, I'll be asking a price which will reflect his age.

spooks

Visit site
if i was buying for myself then age wouldnt matter as im past all that jumping malarky but still like to ride . if i was buying for my daughter who is 14 and into all that then yes i would consider the age. im looking for a pony for one of my kids and in her case the animals age doesnt come into it ,it just needs to have 3 legs so it cant buck, daughter is nervous as they come and pony only has to swish its tail and she thinks its going to buck! (think i have my work cut out finding her something suitable )
i think the age issue with selling a horse is all down to what people are looking for and what they want to do with it.
at our local shows there is a 23 yr old horse still flying round the 2'6 speed class and winning it and the 2'9 (usually wins that to! ) his owner is in his laste fifties and you can see the horse loves doing it.
i wouldnt advertise him to cheaply as it may attract the wrong people though. could you not loan him out again ?

GTs

Visit site
Definately - if it was sound for purpose, and I was looking for a quiet hack. Ofcourse the price has to reflect it too.

lastchance

www.freewebs.com
It all depends on the buyer! I've recently got a 16 year old horse who hasn't done alot and have started affiliated dressage! Hoping he has few more years in him yet! mind you he was a freebie to a good home!!!

kizzywinkles

Visit site
My friend bought a 19 year old horse. She wasn't that confident, and she was told about the horse through pony club, as the horse was safe, but still up for lots. The horse turned out to be perfect for her, it's now 23, and she is leaving home, but her mum has taken up riding and is keeping the horse, just for gentle hacking etc. So the girl doesn't have the heartbreak of having to sell. It has turned out very well for everyone, the horse was very cheap though, £800, but has been given a loving home for life.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to sell your horse for a reasonable price, and I'm sure you could find a nice home that could keep your horse for life. I would agree with last post that you want to be careful not to attract the wrong people, in your situation, a word of mouth sale would probably be ideal.

Good luck

Happytohack

Visit site
Would definitely consider an older horse - if they are sane and sound at 18 - chances are they will be still going strong well into their 20s with proper care. I was helping out at an endurance ride the other Sunday and several of the horses were in their 20s and still having great fun. An older horse can teach an inexperienced rider a lot.

Iestyn

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't buy a horse that is older that 6 or 7 now. I have enjoyed bringing on the two youngsters I've bought and the second is with me for life. I find that I get a lot of satisfaction out of the learning and training. I would loan an older more experienced horse definitely, but as I said I wouldn't buy one.

seza

Visit site
The first 13.2 I bought for my son was 18. I paid £1000 for him including tack. He is the best £1000 I have ever spent on a horse and taught my son loads and gave him the confidence and enthusiasm to go on. He did everything and my son rode him until he was 21(the pony not my son!). We then put him out on loan. He retired 2004 age 27 after hunting on boxing day. He is turned out with a field companion and has been the most rewarding pony to own. I hope you find the right home for yours.

Weezy

Visit site
God yes there is deffo a market for the gorgeous little grey monster! In fact he would suit Poppey on here down to the ground and i am sure there are many like her that would jump at the chance!

star

Visit site
i bought my current horse at 16 and dont regret that for a minute. i wouldn't buy another one that age now because i want one i can do stuff with for longer and the challenge on bringing on a youngster, but he was a fantastic first horse.

JaneMBE

Visit site
Yes, have done and will do if the right one came up
smile.gif

Looking for horsey now as it happens....... Not for showing, jumping or galloping, just hacking, mooching and loving.....

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I bought an 18 yo earlier this year. Ex-endurance racer looking for a quieter life than doing 100miles in a day! We got him to babysit youngsters out hacking as he's bomb proof in traffic. He doesn't look or ride like an 18 yo... and though he's not up to 100 miles races he's still perfectly capable of doing sub 50k rides if I so wanted. At the moment though we're quiet happy pootling about the moors - though his idea of pootling is about 5 times as quick as any of our other horses. To hack out he's the BEST fun you can imagine
smile.gif

Snowberry

Visit site
we bought Glen when he was about 17yrs old and he is the best £1k I have ever spent!!!

Last year Harriette (middle daughter, now 11) qualified him for most of the biggy shows, she's got hundreds of rosettes, trophies, medals and sashes all from Glen!
At a show last year (Glen was 22) we were offered £5k for him - straight after he'd won his class at Northumberland County Show. Even when I laughed and said his age they still said they would seriously like to buy him!!!
Glen will never be sold on now just because he's one of the family but I wouldnt hesitate buying an older pony if it was a good un!!
We used to loan a pony that was in its 30's and it was sound and knew its job inside out!

Evadiva1514

Visit site
If i was looking for a dressage schoolmaster that would demonstrate the more advanced movements but wanted a bit more of an easier life than say a proffesional yard could give, then yes i would definitely consider it at the right price.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
He's a real star and he knows it
grin.gif
Nice to hear from someone who saw him out competing... I do hope to take him out on some pleasure rides at some point - unfortunately we're between wagons at the moment, so until we find a new box we're confined to home.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
When my neighbout was looking for a horse she actively searched for the 14-18 age group, as she is 67 and wanted something sensible and happy to go her speed.
eventually I found her a lovely 14 year old Highland, who had been shown at top level and was a poppet to hack out and handle.
They are enjoying each other , so yes, I would consider an 18 year old.

maddielove

Visit site
i used to share a 21 year old. the guy was ablsolutley amazing! we used to fly round courses of jumps up to almost 3ft.
i badly wanted to buy him as he was up for sale around the time i was looking for a horse. sadly he was very prone to lamitis and had arthritis which was too concerning for my dad's liking[would have been too much vets bills]
i know exactly what you mean about the price-baggins-the horse i used to share, was advertised at a low price and has been sold on twice since the beggining of last year and i havent been able to visit him. the owner who bought him has worn him down and he is only a field companion now...for sure you'll find a willing owner for yer horsey x

eahotson

Visit site
Yes definately if it was the right horse.Horses, like humans, are living longer and more active lives.In fact I think teenagers of the right sort have a great deal to offer.

susan_w

Visit site
Errm, the thing is that I bought Mars!! We only had him on loan, and last week his owner said that he wanted him off his books, and that it was buy or he'd go!!

So, I have Megan just out of hospital with a broken elbow and arm, devastated as she can't ride for 8 weeks, and Mars leaving - what a dilemma - so I bought him!!

Ho hum......

Sarah1

Visit site
I have in the past - my old pony was about 20 when we bought him, we knew him and had always said if they ever sold him we'd like first refusal! He was still winning SJ classes in his 20's, he was so active you would never have thought he was as old as he was, he could easily have passed for being 10 years younger!
Looking after Sixpence taught me a lot and he helped my confidence no end (I'd had a break from riding regularly and my sister refused to let me have anything that might do me an injury, she was frightened to death what my mum would do to her I think!!!!!!!).
However, that said, I wouldn't buy one now. I loved Sixpence more than anything and he was my pony in a million but I have a 5 year old now and I would always buy a youngster if I was looking for another one, everything is an achievement with a youngster and the whole blank canvas thing is a big thing - to bring on a horse and turn him into a well rounded individual is an amazing feeling!
I think an older horse is excellent for a novice or nervous rider (providing they are sane and older!), afterall everyone has to start somewhere with horse ownership and a young horse isn't realistic for everyone.
I think if the horses age is reflected in his price you will have no problem selling him.

Claireg9

Visit site
No.
But only because it wouldnt be right for me at this time. It doesnt mean i wouldnt consider it if i was say thinking of taking up dressage.. as ive never really competed at the dressage discipline i might need a school master to take me through the learning curve. If i decided to take up eventing i might look for an older more sain horse, or if i was moving onto horses again an older more sensible horse might be what im looking for.
Or as i got older and wiser i might want something older and wiser as a happy hacker, or something with a bit of spirit at the right times. Or if i had the money i might just want one as a companion for one of my horses. Or there is always the possibility i might have kids and want something older for them.
So i would never rule it out but currently if i was looking to buy id look at nothing older than 10 really!
Im sure you'll find a good home for your baby though x