Would you buy horse with small foot?

JingleTingle

Visit site
Yes I have, a Polish Warmblood mare. One front foot was a shoe size smaller than the other. Passed a 5 stage with no problems and vet wasnt at all concerned.

My farrier wasnt concerned either, he said it is more common than people realise? She competed at a fairly high level showjumping, and the girl I sold her to still has her 5 years on and still competing at age 14. Never had a days lameness.

Edit to add she did a pretty damn good dressage test too.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Many horses have one foot smaller than the other with no sinister reason for it. It can however be a sign of problems to come and it can also cause problems if you do not have a good farrier. I have posted before about a friend who bought a horse with one smaller boxy upright foot.
Her farrier concerntrated on this smaller foot and neglected the other fore which was taking all the strain - horse was very successful at low level eventing and suddenly it went lame and had digital flexor damage in both fronts. It took months of rehab and the vet said horse could jump again. My friend wouldn't risk it and took up side saddle, but of course that puts a strain on one side and same happened again in one foot. Months of rehab.
Many tears as you can imagine. Just be careful - also be very careful because if you get the horse vetted and the foot is mentionned you will very likely get an exclusion by your insurers. My friend had her horses foot xrayed to show that nothing sinister was going on inside, so insurance covered her thankfully, but she only has a light hack in him now:(

My own young WB has one hind slightly smaller than the other and my husband (farrier) says this shows that the sacroilliac dysfynction he has now been diagnosed with started as a youngster as the foot has not developed in the same way as the other hind, because he was not using it properly on that side whilst he was growing.

Last edited:

forestfantasy

Visit site
Passed a 5 stage with no problems and vet wasnt at all concerned.

My farrier wasnt concerned either, he said it is more common than people realise?

This ^^
My mare has a foot smaller than the other with no issues, i used to spend ages worrying about it and that they didn't look 'right'
Farrier must have been sick of me!
I have since gone barefoot and it has got slightly better but i never expect them to be a perfect pair.

After all, my feet aren't carbon copys and i cope fine!