would you clip an underweight horse?

mirandaharry

Visit site
Following on from my previous post!! My boy is quite underweight at the mo, I'm trying to sort it out asap, but I'm dithering as to whether to clip him or not.

He feels the cold quite a bit and obviously if I did clip I would make sure he had plenty of rugs to keep him toasty, but should I leave him unclipped to help him keep warm. Trouble is being unclipped he tends to sweat up quite a bit so is that's not so good for him keeping his weight on, but having said that he's not going to be doing stacks of work over the winter!! Cor, dilema!

How much body heat does a horse loose if they just have a low blanket or trace done? Any ideas? Thanks x

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'd certainly consider clipping but I'd be careful which clip I choose. A trace clip would probably be one of the best, you'd be getting rid of chest, neck & belly hair which is where most of the sweat will be. However you would be retaining his coat over his back, sides & rear end which would assist with keeping him warm. Then with adequate rugs he should be fine until you build him up again.

I hope these thoughts are useful to you.

Good Luck
smile.gif