Would you enter this novelty class?

Potatoe

Visit site
Or something similar:

[youtube]hzOuKr_hOqM[/youtube]

Last time we ran a PA show we didn't make enough profit and we're trying to come up with ways to make it more popular. I was hoping that having a fun and unique class like this would attract more people.

It would have a whole ring for itself and would run throughout the day in heats in 3 different heights: 2ft-2ft3, 2ft6-2ft9 and 3ft-3ft3.

Do you think these heights are good? Perhaps in the last class we'll see how it's going and maybe make it slightly smaller.

Would you enter one of these classes?

p.s check out the little palomino in the video, he is a machine. :)

Last edited:

Potatoe

Visit site
Someone suggested doing a smaller class but tbh I'm not keen on young kids doing it incase they aren't good at steering and go into the other persons ring or they can't stop.

I'm hoping that by starting at 2ft3 we'll have people a bit more experienced (I don't mean this in a nasty way at all.)

I wish BS would adopt this I'd love to do it at a larger height.

Glad people would be interested, do you think the heights are good?

tigerlily12345

Visit site
sounds good, i would be up for that. i agree starting higher.. those heights are good.. i would say if you go smaller is should be a lead rein class, that would prevent kids over-doing it. or maybe an age limit on smaller classes? so older, more sensible people could do it if they dont jump very big? but might not be popular..

sorry- at little rambley

dieseldog

Visit site

They do. They have one of these at Olympia, we call it a Knockout Class in UK.

The only problem you will get is that the course should be identical, do you have two sets of the same fillers etc?

People will moan if they aren't identical.

Potatoe

Visit site
Thanks for input everyone, hopefully next summer it will run.

Didn't know that! I'd never get to that level though. :p

We have a few fillers that are identical but the others we will dress with flowers or leave un-dressed. We certainly have enough to do 6 jumps. :)

caterpillar

Visit site
I think having it at the really low levels could cause disaster.

Without sounding rude a lot of people that would enter a 2'3 class would go hell for leather rather than focussing on the jumping on hand. I'd hate so see the accidents that could happen.

At the higher levels the horses are more trained and the riders have a much better eye and focus on the jumping more.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I have done it before on a few occasions and think they were all BS classes! Last one was organised by SWSJC a few years ago now, was absolutely hilarious. was set at 1m10 ish if I remember rightly so had a right mix of horses and well it was just brilliant. I was knocked out in the first round but not without me and my opponent falling about laughing as both our horses got thoroughly confused at what was expected of them!!

Wish classes like this were held more often as they are brilliant but even that last one entries were slim pickings (I think they mustered up about 10 of us in the end) but all that entered were glad they did and several afterwards wished they had but by then obviously too late.

Potatoe

Visit site
Thanks for interest.
I do worry about the speed people will go in smaller classes as well so perhaps setting an optimum time to prevent people just going flat out?

This weekend I intend to go to a local show and look at the standard of riding in small classes and seeing if they are in control of their animals. If the majority aren't than will probably not do a 2ft3.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
optimum time in this type of class is pointless as the whole idea is you are racing your opponent and its first clear past the finish line.

Your issue at an unaffiliated competition is that a knockdown incurs 4 time penalties, unless you have two sets of timing equipment (expensive) you would have to rely on stop watches!

Potatoe

Visit site
True- would take the point away from the class. I can't think of another way to prevent people going flat out though.
It would hopefully be run through PC depending if we can prove it is safe and will make money so we have all the timing equipment and jumps.

Perhaps if we made it slightly more turny people would slow up a bit more rather than just gallop down a line of fences.

angelish

Visit site
Someone suggested doing a smaller class but tbh I'm not keen on young kids doing it incase they aren't good at steering and go into the other persons ring or they can't stop.

I'm hoping that by starting at 2ft3 we'll have people a bit more experienced (I don't mean this in a nasty way at all.)

Glad people would be interested, do you think the heights are good?

hi the heights are good but if its money your wanting to make ;) i find a 2ft class rakes the entries in esp if you have a restricted and a open section