Would you ever buy from a seller who lied

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
So, am still on the search for a new pony, should be a fun experience but it's turning into a real hassle.
The other day went back a 2nd time to view a really sweet welshie with my trainer, with my past history of buying it's very much what she says goes! It's mainly showing I want to do and did already have a couple of niggles regarding his record, it was claimed he'd done 6 shows and won 5 and 2nd in the other. After very little research i found he was 3rd out of 3 at one show, and apart from a 2nd can see very little evidence of anything more. I sort of disregarded it as nothing else said he didn't win these classes, she seemed an honest person and i really liked him otherwise. Anyway got to 2nd viewing and trainer noticed these scabby scars on his back legs (which I totally missed) you also can feel thickening where there's obviously old scar tissue and one of his ergots felt like a cauliflower underneath. we don't think it's mud fever as he hardly goes out and although not actively sore it's fairly visible, we think it's most likely an old injury as on both legs and one of them almost a dead straight line. He's also got windgalls which are fairly noticeable and draw your eye to the area. We questioned seller on them and she said had never seen them before! Wtf??! That must be from where he's been bathed and the water dripped down his legs, and that with a bit of hibiscrub it'll be fine! Bear in mind she's had him 18 months and they really are quite apparent when you feel his legs, he's got 4 white socks so I'm sure they're used to feeling that area. After that trainer said she'd lost all credibility so didn't even bother asking the usual questions. A few other things don't add up like why was he gelded only 6 months ago (he's 7) was told was due to them not being able to keep weight on him but don't know what to believe now. Also there's lots of claims as to why he hasn't gone out that much since he's now put on weight and is in 'show condition' only having a 2 horse Lorry being the main reason, which I would've bought if they weren't going to shows both days this weekend with only 1.
Both trainer and I still really like pony, he's got a lovely temperament and is generally good to ride although was a bit more on his toes going up the road than I was hoping. Trainer wouldn't be bothered by scars and doesn't think it's a chronic infective thing, but with showing In mind it could be more of a problem. I do think they could be covered up at least partially but its the lies that have worried me more and what else is she hiding, have been trying to get to see him at a show but as I said the excuses keep coming as to why not possible and he's not entered in anything soon. Sorry for essay and advice most welcome, head telling me to walk away tbh but just got that tiny bit of me that still really likes him.

Last edited:

DD265

Visit site
This horse isn't what you want. You want to show, he is unfortunately blemished. Keep looking.

oldie48

Visit site
I'd walk away as there are too many inconsistencies. There's a difference between telling lies (show record) and not sharing health issues but I don't feel you are dealing with straightforward people.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Seller has obviously got something to hide.

It might be a lovely little pony, but if you buy it then you are only set to be disappointed if you're not in the ribbons because of the blemishes.

There will be someone out there who'll think its gods gift, and it would probably be ideal for a PC home, but not if you want to show.

If you even remotely suspect that seller hasn't been entirely up-front with you then walk away now would be my advice.

muddygreymare

Visit site
Go with your head not your heart, walk away and keep looking for something that ticks all the boxes. There's no point buying a pony that has doubtful showing history and issues which would affect its showing career when there are hundreds of others out there that would be suitable. Be patient, the right pony will find you soon :)

PorkChop

Visit site
What a shame - if you want to show I would only buy something with clean legs tbh.

I would also wonder why she lied about his record, it would make me question anything else she has said, sorry.

Keep looking, I know horse shopping is a complete pain in the bum!

be positive

Visit site
The lies are not really relevant, if you want to show at anything other than very local level you do not want a novice that already has windgalls that would be enough for me to look elsewhere and your trainer should be saying the same, I may accept them in a well campaigned schoolmaster to do workers but not in something that is still basically unshown at any level.

You need to start with an unblemished pony if you have aspirations in the show ring otherwise you will be disappointed and never get the results you want.

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
Seller has obviously got something to hide.

It might be a lovely little pony, but if you buy it then you are only set to be disappointed if you're not in the ribbons because of the blemishes.

There will be someone out there who'll think its gods gift, and it would probably be ideal for a PC home, but not if you want to show.

If you even remotely suspect that seller hasn't been entirely up-front with you then walk away now would be my advice.

Thankyou funnily enough that pretty much echoes everything trainer said, i do want something to be able to do general rc stuff as well but showing is main interest tbh.

Thankyou everyone else who's replied, follows my gut feeling I think it's just hard as if he was all I was led to believe he'd be perfect. Funnily enough he's been doing mainly jumping up until the last few months with a couple of worker classes thrown in, again I believed the reasoning being that he hadn't filled out enough until recently but the more I think about it.......
Really wish people could just be straightforward and honest :(

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Plenty of nice welshies out there without windgalls and they will all be able to do general RC stuff too.

WelshD

Visit site
Climbing the ladder in showing is hard enough as it is without starting at a vast disadvantage

To answer your question regarding lies - I would have let the show record go but the rest is too much of an unknown

Cluelessblonde

Visit site
First time poster...

RUN.... there will be things that you or your trainer didn't notice there as well so before you fall in love and you take on someone else's problem just leave.... Sounds harsh but she obviously noticed or else she hasnt been near him at all so it's a lose lose situation on her part...

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some horse owners are amazingly inept and have no powers of observation so it never suprises me what people don't notice on their own horses .
But seriously the windgalls if you want to show look for another horse.

Dubsie

Visit site
I once enquired about a horse that was back up for sale due to timewasters 'having passed a 5 stage vetting' So I asked what was on the 5 stage vetting that made the other buyers decide not to buy. 'Oh he passed the vetting,and there was only an advisory about windgalls they were just timewasters' so left that one well alone. You should do the same, if you want to show there will be better ones out there with clean legs

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Go by what you see and what a vet says.
Also is he or will he be good for what you what, will his injuries abs issues effect the showing you want to do?

Gut instinct is always something to consider as is the opinion of someone, like you trainer, who won't be buying him but knows you and what you want.