Would you expect things to be replaced...

not_with_it

Visit site
if damaged?

Im getting a bit sick of it now.

I bought one of those hook things that hang over the door with several hooks on. I hung my headcollars on them but had to stop doing that as the horse next door chewed one of the headcollars and would constantly throw everything on the floor. So I had a chewed leather headcollar and a chewed hook hanger.

Then I put my rugs on the rug rail and one of the other horses pulled it off and had it in his stable with him. This morning I hung my headcollars on one of the hooks and whilst I was mucking out I heard a big crunch. The rug horse had my expensive leather headcollar in his mouth and has completely wrecked it.

It is a very narrow corridor and I am running out of places to put my stuff! I am so miffed off. I buy nice things for my horses which just gets wrecked by everyone elses.

Would it be unreasonable to expect the owner to pay for the headcollar?
Im going to have to hang my headcollars in their stables.

opal06

Visit site
if damaged?

Im getting a bit sick of it now.

I bought one of those hook things that hang over the door with several hooks on. I hung my headcollars on them but had to stop doing that as the horse next door chewed one of the headcollars and would constantly throw everything on the floor. So I had a chewed leather headcollar and a chewed hook hanger.

Then I put my rugs on the rug rail and one of the other horses pulled it off and had it in his stable with him. This morning I hung my headcollars on one of the hooks and whilst I was mucking out I heard a big crunch. The rug horse had my expensive leather headcollar in his mouth and has completely wrecked it.

It is a very narrow corridor and I am running out of places to put my stuff! I am so miffed off. I buy nice things for my horses which just gets wrecked by everyone elses.

Would it be unreasonable to expect the owner to pay for the headcollar?
Im going to have to hang my headcollars in their stables.

If all my stuff was getting chewed by other peoples horses i would be miffed too. But I would also own up to it and say that I would replace it, as me as a horse owner should be keeping an eye on my horse as its unfair on other peoples things. Not only that it is very dangerous if the horse chewed it and chocked you would never forgive yourself for vet bills.

I would speak to other horses owner and see what she says. Could you not get a small box to put your head collars in, I hate to see them in stables as its to dangerous. We all know what silly things horses can manage to do.

LucyPriory

Visit site
Sorry, not what you want to hear but Yes - you put the item within reach. If the corridor is that narrow then you have a bigger H&S problem.

Horrible nuisance short term, possible death trap longer term.

Natch

Visit site
Sorry, not what you want to hear but Yes - you put the item within reach. If the corridor is that narrow then you have a bigger H&S problem.

I agree - if you left the items withing another horse's reach, it is rather your fault if the horse damages it.

Hanging in a stable is hardly ideal either, and I certainly wouldn't do it as its a massive risk for the horse in the stable to get entangled.

not_with_it

Visit site

If I knew the horse chewed then believe me, I wouldnt have put them there.
They will either have to go in the stable or in the tack room meaning if anyone needs to get them out in an emergency may struggle!

Opal I am going to speak to the owner if I get chance. She only comes once a day to bung a huge haynet in then goes again, but that is a whole different topic.

If it was my horse I would offer to buy a new one and would feel so bad but these people dont even care.

not_with_it

Visit site
I agree - if you left the items withing another horse's reach, it is rather your fault if the horse damages it.

Hanging in a stable is hardly ideal either, and I certainly wouldn't do it as its a massive risk for the horse in the stable to get entangled.

The layout of the stables is less than ideal and there really is nowhere else in the block to hang them without having to treck to get them, not ideal in an emergency situation.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
But it's on three separate occasions you've had stuff chewed IMHO you should have learnt after the first time.

I can't understand why anyone would ever leave things within reach of horses. Many of them are inquisitive and the only way they can investigate is with their mouths - stuff is going to get chewed, horses could be damaged. How would you feel if it had been your horse who pulled the rug in and, say, got a leg strap tangled round a fetlock, pulled away and give itself a nasty rope burn? How would you feel if another horse had got hold of the rug, injured itself and the owner came over and blamed you for leaving a dangerous item within it's reach?

Aces_High

Visit site
Can you not have a tackbox outside your horses stable? That way it can't be picked up by any horses within neck reach. Your horse won't trample on them and also won't get his feet in the box to get caught up. Slightly miffed that if the rack thing was on your horses door how the horse next door managed to reach it! Also even if the passage way is narrow I am sure you can find a box of some sorts which can contain a headcollar and a rug or two. So pleased I don't have to worry about these sorts of things as it would drive me insane my things being wrecked by someone elses horse

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Sorry, after the first time it was your fault as you put them back within reach.

The first damage I would expect to be fixed or replaced, but after that I'm afriad the buck stops with you.

Enfys

Visit site
If it had been my halter then no, I wouldn't expect to have it replaced, I'd just hang a cheapy webbing halter up instead and bring my posh one in as and when.

Would your YO be up for a little bit of stable remodelling?
I was at one military yard that had an excellent storage solution for small items. One corner (less than hay bar size) was fully closed in to form a cupboard where halters and brushes were kept, the feed bowl fitted in the top.

Natch

Visit site
The layout of the stables is less than ideal and there really is nowhere else in the block to hang them without having to treck to get them, not ideal in an emergency situation.

Is it possible to fix a small hook somewhere out of reach/out of the way of passing legs and inquisitive noses? What does everyone else do?

If not I'd buy or make a small ish box, either one of those plastic storage boxes with a lid, or comandeer an old bookcase or cuboard which is small enough not to hinder the passageway but large enough for at least your headcollar - surely thats the only vital piece of kit required in an emergency? and I'd make it an old or cheap one just in case.

If you have to keep your grooming kit and rugs in your car or elsewhere on the yard then so be it - small sacrafice to make for unrwrecked rugs and headcollars, and safe horses.

If I knew the horse chewed then believe me, I wouldnt have put them there.
They will either have to go in the stable or in the tack room meaning if anyone needs to get them out in an emergency may struggle!

Opal I am going to speak to the owner if I get chance. She only comes once a day to bung a huge haynet in then goes again, but that is a whole different topic.

If it was my horse I would offer to buy a new one and would feel so bad but these people dont even care.

But you did know the second time, else how would the rug have ended up in his stable? I would chalk your losses up to experience, and not ask the other owner for compensation.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
I'd be a bit peeved if someone asked me to replace items which had been left within reach of my horse whilst stabled. Owners can't exactly watch their horses every hour they are in the stable to check they aren't chewing things that others have left within their reach!

It is pretty normal and predictable horse behaviour to play with and chew items, so it is more your fault the items were damaged than the other horse-owners'. If you left your headcollar in the middle of the road, you wouldn't expect a car-owner to pay to replace it if he ran it over. You have to take reasonable precautions to protect your own equipment and to me that means not leaving it within reach of stabled horses.

Vikki89

Visit site
I wouldn't expect them to be replaced, maybe it would have been nice if they offered the first time but after that you knew it was possible they would get ruined.

My youngster once pulled a tail bandage into his stable, i found it in the morning rather messy and dirty, i offered to take it home and wash it for them but they said not to bother, they know he is young and likely to play with thing so don't put them within his reach.

wellsat

Visit site
Sorry but I think its your look out if you put them in chewing distance. It used to really annoy me on a previous yard when people would hand their rug to dry over the partition between our two stables. Horses are unpredictable and like to investigate things. I don't know if Daisy would have pulled their rugs down or not but I certainly didn't want the risk that she might and could then get tangled up in a rug on her stable floor and get blamed for damaging it.

not_with_it

Visit site
The second two times was a different horse. After the first time I moved everything out of reach of that horse. The way the stables are designed there is no where to put everything that is completely out of reach of the horses. All the headcollars are left on that hook, it just happened to be mine that he chewed.

Are people not honest anymore? If I knew my horse chewed things left around I would make sure that other people knew not to leave them in reach. Maybe I am just expecting everyones horses to be like mine and not touch things left around.

I had literally just put the headcollar down when he did it. This horse is cooped up in its stable 24/7 and NEVER goes out to play. He is bored stiff but his owner cant be arsed to come up twice a day.
I always push the rug rack right back so that he cant get to it but his stupid owner always moves it back even though I have told her time and time again.

Kitsune as I have said it was a different horse and so I didnt put it back within reach.

Maybe we all just have different morals:rolleyes:

mcnaughty

Visit site
Sorry, but never leave anything within reach of a horse - you are asking for it to be wrecked as soon as your back is turned.

I can leave anything in my mare's stable and it stays put - my daughter's 2yo gelding - no way - ends up on the floor every time - trampled, eaten and pooed on...

LaurenM

Visit site
The second two times was a different horse. After the first time I moved everything out of reach of that horse. The way the stables are designed there is no where to put everything that is completely out of reach of the horses. All the headcollars are left on that hook, it just happened to be mine that he chewed.

Are people not honest anymore? If I knew my horse chewed things left around I would make sure that other people knew not to leave them in reach. Maybe I am just expecting everyones horses to be like mine and not touch things left around.

I had literally just put the headcollar down when he did it. This horse is cooped up in its stable 24/7 and NEVER goes out to play. He is bored stiff but his owner cant be arsed to come up twice a day.
I always push the rug rack right back so that he cant get to it but his stupid owner always moves it back even though I have told her time and time again.

Kitsune as I have said it was a different horse and so I didnt put it back within reach.

Maybe we all just have different morals:rolleyes:

It's not to do with morals. Don't mean to offend, but I would say that it is common sense.

All my stuff is kept in his stable or in the tack room, as is everyone elses.

I would look into getting one of these; http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...and+DIY|14418702/Trail/searchtext>STORAGE.htm

bigboyrocky

Visit site
It's not to do with morals. Don't mean to offend, but I would say that it is common sense.

All my stuff is kept in his stable or in the tack room, as is everyone elses.

I would look into getting one of these; http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...and+DIY|14418702/Trail/searchtext>STORAGE.htm

someone at our yard has one of these and they are BRILLIANT and pretty big aswell! they have all thier rugs, boots and headcollars in it. I would def think it woud be a good idea to get one. have to agree that its not really fair to ask them to replace

diggerbez

Visit site
honestly OP- if someone asked me to replace something that my horse had chewed then i'd tell them politely to buggar off!! its like when rugs get ripped in the field- it happens, they are horses! my old horse was terrible for grabbing anything and eating stuff - never a problem on the yard i was on- but used to be a nightmare at camps as had to tell posh dressage divas time and again that if they left their double bridle within his reach he'd scoff it :rolleyes:

on the yard i am now on we aren't allowed ANYTHING on the outside of stables at all- so people either put headcollars inside stable on a hook or in their tackrooms. in a genuine emergency it would take 2 seconds to grab a headcollar but TBH if it was something like a fire i wouldn't bother with a headcollar anyway...

Silverspring

Visit site
Another no from me, I don't think anyone can be held responsible for damage their horse does to stuff you leave within it's reach. Can you not hang the headcollar inside your horses stable?

I used to have a little set of plastic drawers in my stable (old pony who would never touch it) and someone put their horse in my stable and it completely trashed the drawers, trampled them into the bed. Not only had to buy new drawers plus parts of grooming kit that had been chewed I also had to gut the shavings bed and put new bails down. The owner didn't even apologise for it let alone pay for the damage!

honetpot

Visit site
I am afraid anyone who leaves anything within chewing distance of a horse is asking for trouble, and they have very long necks. My pony managed to drag a full haynet through a gate, not his fault, mine.
Also if the chewer was my horse I would be annoyed with you for putting something potentaily dangerous within reach.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I would be rather miffed too! but i think you should just out it down to experience, the yard clearly isnt designed to have things stored outside if horses can reach. I would NEVER hang anything in the stable thats an accident waiting to happen. Does your yard not have a room where you can store all your bits and bobs? if not, maybe you could invest in a lockable box?

MochaDun

Visit site
The partitions between our stables are half wood with metal bars above so horses can see each other. People took to hanging their wet rugs over the partitions overnight to dry rather than put up hangers at the back of their stables or suitably tied rope etc (ie, not dangerous and at a suitable height not to cause a problem to horses). As I know my horse will chew on things and would probably have pulled them over into his stable, the first time they did that I asked them nicely to move them to avoid their rugs getting damaged and my horse getting injured by tripping over rugs which would have been on the floor in his stable. No-one had any problem with it as no-one really wants their rug wee'd on by another horse! As we have limited space outside our stables too some people buy those hard plastic garden box type things from B&Q to store stuff in (they are padlockable) and leave them on pallets outside with their bedding bales alongside - they seem good at withstanding weather. This brand are sold at B&Q, not all sizes though.

http://www.keter.com/categories/outdoor-storage/boxes

And I know needing a headcollar can happen quickly but in the times when we've had loose horses on the yard, the speed they've passed me at it didn't matter that I had a headcollar to hand as they were past the stable in a second. But seriously in those circumstances we just grab whichever person's headcollar is nearest to hand which everyone is fine about. Maybe if you have a chat with the YO there can be a hanger left somewhere where there is space with a couple of spare headcollars on them if people need them in an emergency.

CBFan

Visit site
Personaly no, I wouldn't expect someone to pay for new equipment if I left it in reach of their horse. I don't keep any of my stuff out the front of my stable because I know my gelding would have it!

It really bugs me when people shout at their horses for not standing still and fiddling with stuf that they leave within reach becasue they've give them the temptation in the first place... it's like kids and sweets... or kids and fragile ornaments ' don't touch that darling'... **SMASH**

millitiger

Visit site
my 4yro eats anything and everything within reach and if someone asked me to replace something they had left near him they would politely be told to get on their bike!

can't you get a tackbox to go on the floor outside?

its nothing to do with morals, its common sense not to put things within reach of what are essentially dumb animals.

Umbongo

Visit site
I'm sorry, but if someone asked me to replace a leather head collar which my horse had chewed, when they had put it within reaching distance...I would be pretty miffed! Nothing to do with morals....it's just common sense.

I would get one of those tack boxes if I were you. At my yard everyone has a box outside/inside their stable which they can put in head collars, rugs, bandages etc.

If not then I would suggest putting the posh leather head collar in the tack room and just getting a cheap and cheerful head collar that you may not mind being chewed. A lot of people at my yard have cheapy head collars as well as posh ones, as the cheap everyday ones will be chewed by other horses, hung on the field fence during the day, chewed by the yard dogs if they are left within reach!