Would you go non-competitive?

slumdog

Visit site
So I'm planning my first outing back SJ on Sunday, I'm understandably nervous. We're tackling the dizzy heights of 2ft6. Obvious factors are the big one which is my accident(s!) plus he's new and I've never jumped a course on him. It's unaffiliated and local (plus £10 a class!) should I go non-competitive as I've jumped 110-115 and was schooling round 1.20 (albeit 5 months ago and on my experienced other horse who has sadly retired) before I broke both my legs or am I within my rights to have a 'proper' go. He's 17hh and is quite green but I don't want to look like a pothunter even though I certainly don't feel like one. What would you do?

Lolo

Visit site
If you are allowed to compete then compete. I don't see the point in doing otherwise unless here's a hugely obvious reason... Heck, WFP will do a BE100 normal despite being one of the best eventers in the world!

slumdog

Visit site
Well it's always nice to get a frilly but in the grand scale of things it's not important. I suppose if I'm non competitive at least I can't be beaten by small children haha!

be positive

Visit site
Why would you go HC on a green horse that is not up to jumping any higher yet, if he had been doing 1.20 that would be different but taking a youngster out for experience is hardly pot hunting, the chances are you wont get placed anyway as there will be people whizzing round that jump the same classes every week.

slumdog

Visit site
He's done a two BE90s (and not clear ones lol) with previous owner but that's it, not done any pure SJ, he's quite babyish and also has a tendency to boil over and forget the re-trained part of ex racehorse! I was thinking more because I've jumped higher in the past but you're totally right. I think I'm just worried about it and over thinking everything lol :)

slumdog

Visit site
Oh and you're right about the people wizzing about, there's bound to be 20 kids on 30 year old crazy JA ponies that go round like their on rails lol

j1ffy

Visit site
I would go competitive - going HC is unnecessary and you'll just be annoyed if you do place! As others have said, it's not pot-hunting if you're taking a young horse out and your building your own confidence and it's within the rules (I'm sure there are a few other 'ands'!).