Would you leave a wet turnout rug on an arthritic horse?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Just a musing really. Lots of people leave wet turnouts on in the stable, provided the inside isn't wet. However earlier this morning I was speaking to an older lady I know who was saying the damp air, wet dog walking clothes etc make her creak more than usual. ( General age problems, rheumatism, arthritis etc). Mine are in a very warm indoor barn, where any rug needed outside would be too hot in, so its not something I do anyway. But it just made me think, would a rug wet outside & round the hem make a difference to a horse that has typical age problems when stabled?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I leave a wet rug on ours, but thats only outside :p - I wouldn't leave a wet rug on a perfectly fit horse inside.

Our arthritic 28yo had his rug off this weekend during the day, had a lovely sunny one, and may as well make use of his lovely thick coat :)

HashRouge

Visit site
If it was dry inside and the horse was warm I would probably do it as they dry off quicker on anyway. But I'm not rugging mine overnight at the moment anyway, so hers come off. She has arthritis in the coffin joint on her right fore, and she does wear a pair of quilted magnetic bell boots (don't know if the magnets help, but at least the boots keep the joint warm!).

PandorasJar

Visit site
I've always found the wet worse than cold for myself and for horses with problems.
I'd change the rug if soaked through, wouldn't worry if dry coat/underneath still.

All ours will stay unrugged this winter as always. The oldies were rugged last March when excessive driving rain and needed it. But cold they don't and have lovely winter coats.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I have no objection to leaving turnouts on inside normally, I've done it in the past, & know the usual benefits. I was thinking more the aspect of damp on old bones. Especially in a stable where movement is restricted, rather than an arthritic moving about in the rain outside.

Daytona

Visit site
Every yard I have been on do this , you don't get a option unless of course you choose to come up later and change it yourself. They leave wet outdoors on overnight to dry them, if rug is dry they will change it to your stable rug but alot of folks don't bother and seem to use the same outdoor rug day and night