Would you loan an unvaccinated pony?

Ali27

Visit site
I have been offered a little companion pony on loan but it’s unvaccinated! It’s actually on a large livery/ riding stables at present. My two are both vaccinated and I’m loathe to pay out for vaccinations on a pony that I don’t own! Wouldn’t mind just the yearly vaccination but starting from scratch is going to be expensive! What would you do?

meleeka

Visit site
Depending on your set up I’d probably have it anyway and not vaccinate either. Saying that I did get one I was given vaccinated for tetanus. It’s a bit different when you own it though.

Ali27

Visit site
It’s a companion pony who can’t be ridden. My friend has given me a real lecture about taking on an unvaccinated pony! My retired pony is fully vaccinated and always will be! It’s just hard ploughing money into a pony that doesn’t belong to you, just incase they get taken back!

be positive

Visit site
It depends how useful the companion is and whether he is good at his job, if he serves a purpose then the costs will be worthwhile, a good companion with no real health issues is hard to find, it is unlikely to be taken back if it cannot be ridden and the owners have no use for it, any loan pony could require some veterinary care, at least this is a known cost that will only be 2 jabs initially then the 6 month one would count as a normal cost going on each year.

Ali27

Visit site
I have loaned my own pony out in the past and have made sure that they have been up to date with vaccinations, teeth done, newly shod/ trimmed as I wouldn’t expect a loaner to pay for these costs at the start. I also paid for the insurance as peace of mind. This pony would be treated the same as all my others so of course would have everything it needed. I’m just a little hesitant at taking on a loan pony that needs vaccinations, teeth doing straight away when potentially it could be taken back at anytime. I was going to leave vaccinations initially but have had a lecture from a friend with regards to that being irresponsible and that is why Equine flu is being spread. I might see if I can buy pony instead.

joosie

Visit site
My unvaccinated pony went out on loan and because the loaner wanted her vaccinated she paid for it herself quite happily. There was no drama about it. Either you are willing to do it or you aren't, if you aren't then don't get the pony, it's simple enough :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd get them to vaccinate before coming, the 1st 2 jabs. OP, I'm a bit like your friend, I wouldn't take in an unvaccinated one on my yard, except perhaps direct from a breeder.
That said, plenty of equines are travelled all over by national carriers without being vaccd.

Shay

Visit site
If you are bringing the pony in to a set up where you only have your two, you don't go out and mix with any other horses etc then maybe - although getting the loaner to do at least the first two jabs would be preferable. Vaccination doesn't stop your horse getting 'flu - it just makes the symptoms more mild and shortens the transmission period. If you are willing to take that risk for your horses and do not put any other horses at risk then I guess it is your own risk to absorb. But if you - or your other horses - mix with other horses at any point it is irresponsible. Just because the pony doesn't leave the yard does not mean those who might pick up flu from him won't then transmit it onward when they go off yard.

Not vaccinating against tetanus is - IMO - pure negligence. I can understand (although do not accept in the current climate) the argument about not vaccinating companion stock / oldies who do not travel. But tetanus is a horrible way to die and impacts all equids regardless of whether they travel / compete etc. They don't pass it on, like flu, the catch it from bacteria in the ground. At the very least I would strongly urge you to vaccinate against that.

Do you need to do every 6 months or just annually...? Take the advice of your vet. I have an oldie who no longer goes off yard. We are sticking with annual for him - he has been vaccinated all his life. The vet's view is that annual protetcion for him (at nearly 30) is fine. The active ones get done every 6 months at the moment but that is more to comply with competition rules. Racing I think has gone to very 8 months? But if the pony has never been vaccinated then you might need to start at the beginning. If his Vaccs have just lapsed one single may be enough - talk to your vet.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I'm actually really surprised nobody by Auslander has mentioned flu! Personally, even before the flu outbreak I'd still vax it even if on arrival as IMO all horses should be esp for tetanus, but with the way things are at the moment, I wouldn't be letting an unvaccinated pony anywhere near mine, just to risky. I'd want at least the first 2 injections done then pick it up myself.

Peter7917

Visit site
I don't see what the problem is. If you really want it vaccinated, then vaccinate it. Lots of vets are doing deals on vaccine courses atm.

We live in The New Forest, so there are literally hundreds of un vaccinated animals all around us. Every time we go hacking we will hack through herds of unvaccinated animals. All this hysteria...

Trouper

Visit site
No. The minute he comes to you he becomes your responsibility and I am sure you would not want to treat him any differently from your "own" horses - whether he is ridden and/or goes out or not. So unless you can share the costs of the initial vaccination with the owners it would be a non-starter for me.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have been offered a little companion pony on loan but it’s unvaccinated! It’s actually on a large livery/ riding stables at present. My two are both vaccinated and I’m loathe to pay out for vaccinations on a pony that I don’t own! Wouldn’t mind just the yearly vaccination but starting from scratch is going to be expensive! What would you do?

get them to do the first two jags, then take it. quite apart from the very good points raised by others, if that pony contracts flu while with you it will cost you a small fortune in treatment-way more than the cost of the vacs. Also, even though its 'just' a companion, take out a full loan agreement and discuss insurance-preferably they take out the policy and you reimburse them.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm actually really surprised nobody by Auslander has mentioned flu!

I think everyone *is* actually talking about flu, i have read that as implied in pretty much every response. Because they don't catch tetanus from each other, so flu is the thing people are concerned about transmitting between unvaccinated horses.

Either you are willing to do it or you aren't, if you aren't then don't get the pony, it's simple enough :)

this IMO. You can try asking the owner to contribute but ultimately if you want it done then you'll have to be prepared to cough up like any other horse you might acquire. I've just picked up an ex racer, his jabs had lapsed so I've started them again, same with every other horse I've ever had in my life :p

lannerch

Visit site
Do you want the horse? Yes or no. If they won’t vaccinate then obviously they are not that bothered if the horse stays with them or goes with you , because let’s face it in the scheme of the price of looking after horses a course of vaccination is really not that expensive.
So the choice is yours.

Personally yes I would without hesitation . I would vaccinate it myself.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you are loathe to pay for something that may keep your own horses safe because you don't "own" it, what else won't you pay for? Dentist? Physio? Vet? If i was the loaner i would not want to loan to you if im being honest.

That seems very harsh.

Can you explain, if the pony doesn't currently have flu and is a companion which isn't going to leave the yard, how it puts the other horses at any risk by not being vaccinated itself?

Auslander

Visit site
I don't see what the problem is. If you really want it vaccinated, then vaccinate it. Lots of vets are doing deals on vaccine courses atm.

We live in The New Forest, so there are literally hundreds of un vaccinated animals all around us. Every time we go hacking we will hack through herds of unvaccinated animals. All this hysteria...
It's not hysteria. There have been an unprecedented number of flu cases this year, and anyone with managed horses should be taking it seriously, and trying, where possible, to minimise the risk of transmission, by vaccinating their own animals, and taking precautions to avoid exposure to animals that could themselves have been exposed. It's very lucky that it hasn't spread to "wild" ponies in places like the New Forest. I suspect you would change your tune if there was an outbreak amongst the New Forest herds

oldie48

Visit site
Anything that comes to me on loan gets treated as if it were my own, I don't distinguish. If it needed vaccs it would get them and I expect to pay for all the routine stuff anyway but I would worry about taking an unvaccinated pony from a big yard with lots of unvaccinated horses so would try to start the process before it arrived.

Equi

Visit site
That seems very harsh.

Can you explain, if the pony doesn't currently have flu and is a companion which isn't going to leave the yard, how it puts the other horses at any risk by not being vaccinated itself?

It was and i apologise to OP, i was in a mood lastnight and took it out in the wrong place.

Leo Walker

Visit site
It was and i apologise to OP, i was in a mood lastnight and took it out in the wrong place.

You were still right though. vaccinated horses are catching flu and they are catching it off unvaccinated horses. They are not tending to be particularly ill and they dont shed as much of the virus, but its not something I would want happening to my pony. The risk is increased further as the pony is on a big commercial yard so lots of comings and goings.

I would still take the pony but it wouldnt be coming until the first two jabs were done.

Umbongo

Visit site
Have you had a discussion with the owner about this? If you talk to them they may offer to do them before the pony leaves the yard, or pay full cost/part cost to you for you to get them done. If I really liked the pony I may just suck it up and pay myself if the owners aren't willing. Otherwise, I am sure there are plenty of other companion ponies looking for a loan home about. Have you looked into rescues from charities?

J&S

Visit site
I would still take the pony but it wouldnt be coming until the first two jabs were done

Exactly my thoughts.

little_critter

Visit site
Is the pony unvaccinated because the owner doesn’t see the point / wants to save money, or is the owner an anti-vaxer?
This would make a big difference, especially if she said she wouldn’t allow you vaccinate.

teddypops

Visit site
Have you had a discussion with the owner about this? If you talk to them they may offer to do them before the pony leaves the yard, or pay full cost/part cost to you for you to get them done. If I really liked the pony I may just suck it up and pay myself if the owners aren't willing. Otherwise, I am sure there are plenty of other companion ponies looking for a loan home about. Have you looked into rescues from charities?
Do rescues vaccinate their ponies? I have a pony from a rescue and I had to do his vaccs from the start.