Would you loan an unvaccinated pony?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
They did have a very strict quarantine policy, but I was surprised that they weren’t routinely jabbed for flu. All the other checks were done - worms, teeth, feet etc.

I did notice that the equine section was closed to all visitors in the early part of the recent flu epidemic. Maybe (hopefully) they have learned from that, and now include flu inoculations as routine.

Mule

Visit site
You can buy the vaccines from the vet and give them yourself. That will cut down on the cost. They are intramuscular so easy to do. Flu is obviously going around atm but tetanus is particularly important as it is an horrendous illness. It almost always leads to an horrific death.

catkin

Visit site
Do rescues vaccinate their ponies? I have a pony from a rescue and I had to do his vaccs from the start.

Yes they do.
Both my sanctuary ponies (the one I have now and his predecessor) were vaccinated and as part of the loan agreement I must keep them up-to-date, which is as it should be.

Auslander

Visit site
Oh wow, I didn't know that:oops: I assumed it was the same as where I am. That's a shame. Was that always the situation or has it changed?
I don't recollect ever being able to DIY it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen!
Passports need to be stamped, signed and dated by the vet who does the vacc, with the label from the vial affixed

teddypops

Visit site
Yes they do.
Both my sanctuary ponies (the one I have now and his predecessor) were vaccinated and as part of the loan agreement I must keep them up-to-date, which is as it should be.
Ah, it seems some do and some don’t then judging by above replies.

Mule

Visit site
I don't recollect ever being able to DIY it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen!
Passports need to be stamped, signed and dated by the vet who does the vacc, with the label from the vial affixed
They need all the documentation here as well but only for comp horses. So you have to get the passport stamped by a vet who has to do the vaccines. For now anyway it's still allowed to give the vaccines to non comp horses yourself. I hope they don't change it🤔

Mule

Visit site
It did used to be an option to flu/tet jab your own horses as long as you didn’t need or want the passport to be stamped by the vet. So ok for oldies etc.
That's how it is here. Since they've changed it in the UK, I'm sure they will do it here :confused: It's really handy to be able to do the simple things DIY.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I know there's an old saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth", BUT.... but, IMO tetanus jab is the very least that any horse should have, and I wouldn't want a horse on my place without at least this being in place; and in the current climate, even if the pony isn't going to be going anywhere, it would surely be advisable to have it done for flu as well.

Perhaps a way forward would be for yourself and the owner to split the costs of vaccination? And do, while you're at it, think about drawing up a proper Contract as well as.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It did used to be an option to flu/tet jab your own horses as long as you didn’t need or want the passport to be stamped by the vet. So ok for oldies etc.

Unless it's changed in the last two years, it still is if you have a good relationship with your vet. The two year old I bought in 2017 was covered but it wasn't in his passport, the stud owner does them all herself.

ETA I've looked up the law and I think this breaks passport rules for meat animals.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
My companion ponies are always tet vaccinated, but I am seriously considering doing the flu as well for the current one. Someone rang up and wanted to borrow him to go to a show but I said he couldn't go as he wasn't vaccinated.

OP - you realise that every horse is supposed to be microchipped in a couple of years - now that will be more expensive. In fact I think I will talk to the vet about it all.

Palindrome

Visit site
I would want at least vaccination for tetanus. It is the combined vaccine (flu+tet) but you only need 2 injections then booster the 1st year and then every other year. I would ask the owner to get the 1st injection done and do the second.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Managed to get both of mine done on a free zone day with my vets, think it was £70 for flu and tet for 2 horses.

To risky to not get them done IMO.

Good luck with the new pony :)

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Not in England, you can't!
You can but that vaccine is not recordable in your passport - I do my horse's Tetanus myself as it's not demanded for competition use and he has such a massive reaction to all vaccinations that I have to spread them out if its a year where I have to do tetanus too. I did an injection course through our vets organised by my old employer so they know I am up to it, I used to inject mares every couple of hours with oxytet as part of my job so it's not exactly hard. It saves a bit of money too. The only rule is that for flu, it has to be done by a vet if you want it recording in the passport.

Also all of those that don't vaccinate but have insurance (which seems like a weird one but seemingly loads do) - your horse's insurance could be invalid with out a flu record. KBIS highlighted that this year on my renewal policy, but I have seen it there for the last 8 years at least. NFU certainly had it there.