Would you offer payment?

PaulineW

Visit site
Back story: I keep my mare and tiny shetland at a local farm. It’s non horsey, and I was very lucky to find grazing so close to home. The owner is lovely and very helpful. Eg he bought a small tipping trailer for my poo picking so I do less distance with a wheel barrow. It attaches to his quad. Nothing is too much hassle, but I don’t take advantage.

It’s not a large working farm, more of a hobby farm with about 50 sheep. He sells bulk firewood, and amazing home grown hay.

Anyway, I mentioned that I was concerned that the field was getting badly cut up around the gateway and trough, and wanted his opinion on putting down hard core or mats, as I don’t want to ruin the field. Its woodland and very pretty. I had decided to buy mudcontrol mats as hadn’t seen him all week. Today he levelled the area with a mini digger, and laid hardcore! I’ve offered to pay for his time etc but he just says no.

What can I offer, as I feel strongly about paying for this kindness, as it’s not for his benefit? Some beers seems a bit cheap, plus I don’t know him well enough to know what he drinks. I haven’t a clue on labour costs. It took about an hour, he had the hardcore leftover from another job I think, so not purchased specifically for me, and he has the machinery on site.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

NR88

Visit site
What a lovely man!

Does he have a partner? Perhaps a voucher for a meal for 2 somewhere nice.

A hamper with nice jams, biscuits, whisky and chocolates.

Fancy cheese, chutneys and biscuits

Voucher for the local agricultural shop

Some funny gifts like "worlds best farmer" mug or personalised photo air freshener for his tractor (of your horses saying thank you?).

Travel mug for his hot drinks

New set of overalls, gloves or big fleece shirt that appears to be the farmer uniform.

Equi

Visit site
Tbf it’s his land and in his own best interests to keep it good. I don’t think you owe him anything monetary. I’d be happy with a bottle of something as a thanks.

PurBee

Visit site
I made a mixed fruit cake and bought a bottle of red for a farmer who gave me a hand once…he was delighted, his eyes twinkled with joy to receive a wee gift…..so any gesture will surely be appreciated.
Sounds like you’ve got a great landlord…the true meaning of the word too! ?