Would you pay 2,220 for a Shetland to show?

ihatework

Visit site
Personally NO !!! But then I'm not into Shetland showing, but theoretically if I was and said shetland was a good example of the breed and had potential to do well at the required level then why not pay £2,220 for it?

People pay far more for absolute cr@p to hack about on!

A girl at my old yard showed her shetland and was rumoured to be offered serious money for it (think double), so there must be some money involved in showing shetlands!

vieshot

Visit site
Nope. No chance. Ever. Its a shetland, what can you do with it? Other than show it and let your children ride it. You could buy a really nice riding horse for the same money. I wouldnt pay any more than about £800 for a shetland and that would be one that was broken and good to handle, not a 3yo.
xxx

lillie07

Visit site
Personally not.
A friends Mum brought two miniture shetlands, one is cream and white and cost £3500 and the other is mouse dun and cost £2800. She was going to show them but they have sat in a field ever since
confused.gif
Suppose if you have that sort of money to spend and dont want to ride they are quite cute!
crazy.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Happily the situation has never arisen, but I think a horse/pony is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for it.
Miniature horses go for a heck of a lot more than that. I also think that colour has a great deal to do with price, I'd go to sales and see poor, rag tag spotted shetland types go for hundreds whereas solid coloureds from the same pen would make maybe 30 pounds.

filly190

Visit site
I am surprised at how much the filly has cost them, lets hope she lives up to their dreams and they have a lot of joy and happiness from her.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
When I was pony searching I spotted a couple of shetties for around the 2.5k mark, but they were experienced ponies and had done alot.
people forget that shetlands can be driven, and are so much fun.
Ours cost us around the 500 mark, unregistered etc. BUT he is an older pony who has hunted, done pony camps, hacking, etc etc, and he's good on and off the LR (I was told not for a novice off the lR but he's absolutely fine). I have been offered more than double for him since, and I would have paid up to the 2k mark for him had he been registered.

But for a 3yo?? Maybe, if it was exceptionally well bred and put together.

airedale

Visit site
I wouldn't pay 2 pounds twenty P for a sh1tland let alone that sort of money

now if it was a Welsh A......that might be a different thing altogether ;-)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't pay 2 pounds twenty P for a sh1tland let alone that sort of money

now if it was a Welsh A......that might be a different thing altogether ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

* rolls eyes* lol

sanda

community.webshots.com
I would if it was a very good example of its breed and a mare or stallion .Why not ?
My daughter could show it and pass it on to other children to show then when Im old and dottery I could show it in hand and still enjoy going to shows and meeting my cronies. Then my grandchilden could show it or learn to ride on it in a basketsaddle. Oh and I might breed a foal from it and if it was also very good I would have furthered the breed. It wont eat much or cost me a fortune in vets bills either .
I have two shetlands for my daughter and her friends
Prince Harry and William had two shetlands when I worked at Balmoral and they were always having fun on them. If somethings a good example of its breed its worth plenty .

spooks

Visit site
i wouldnt pay that kind of dosh for a shetland, my 16hh IDxTB only cost me £2800! i paid 650 for my 5 year old shettie ( also unregistered) with her tack, bought her off a friend and were on the same livery yard once so also knew her history. she is as good as gold and the little ones can do anything with her but i wouldnt have paid any more than i did for her.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Some of the shetties were stunning today, but I woulnt have paid some of thoses prices for them. I think a lot of them go for stupid money now because of the studs- basically if they want a pony, they'll pay anything for it.

My YO brought 3 for less than £300 last year (and they're nicer than some of the one who went for silly prices today IMO).

Bex7

Visit site
Were you there too?

I really enjoyed it, first time at a sale too.

Some of them were fetching quite a bit and I must admit the little cream dun filly was lovely. I like quite a few others too, sat and watched them all.

x

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Yep, I sat and watched them all too!

I was very tempted by a couple of them (one of the black fillies and the chestnut stallion who went for £100) but behaved myself LOL.

skye123

Visit site
i know that minature stallions can go for £7000!!
shocked.gif

personally i would never pay that much as you could get a good riding horse for that but if u cant/dont like to ride and its your passion then why not!!

Tia

Visit site
No I wouldn't. In fact I wouldn't even take a shetland if it was given to me free, sorry. There are so many other far more suitable and excellent child-sized/driving pony breeds around.

Having said that miniature shetlands over here cost a bomb! I guess it is horses for courses though.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Yes i would.... I bought Inky ( hes not a shetland but a miniature horse but same size thing going on.... ) after loosing a horse i had had for 19 years. After loosing him my life was falling apart. I bought Inky to do something totally different and to start a fresh life. I know minis arent everyones cup of tea but then eventing/ show jumping/ hunting is not mine. There is alot of people who will reply but what do they do? well Inky makes my day special. I am going to show Inky this year and yes they do go for alot of money. I know of miniatures well over £10,000. It all depends on what you want to do in life and what makes you happy. There are people out there who spend as much money on bigger horses and hate every time they spend with them.If i paid £2,200 for a shetland and it made me happy then it would be worth every penny.

lottie1990

www.myspace.com
no i wouldnt, if you had a child it would last them 1 year and they would probably not be strong enough. If you loved showing in hand i guess yes. But for me its a no even though there so cute! xxx

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I hate these posts. I wouldn't pay tuppence for many horses that I see around the place, but would pay over the odds for something that I really liked! The value of a horse is the value that YOU place on it and not what someone else places on it. After all, a horse at an auction has to have at least two people who want it enough at near enough that price before it will sell! I don't understand the shetland or miniature market at all, but I am assuming that the person who bought the pony MUST understand it, therefore it should be the right price. I bet it is not a bog standard shetland, but one with excellent breeding and showing potential.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes i would.... I bought Inky ( hes not a shetland but a miniature horse but same size thing going on.... ) after loosing a horse i had had for 19 years. After loosing him my life was falling apart. I bought Inky to do something totally different and to start a fresh life. I know minis arent everyones cup of tea but then eventing/ show jumping/ hunting is not mine. There is alot of people who will reply but what do they do? well Inky makes my day special. I am going to show Inky this year and yes they do go for alot of money. I know of miniatures well over £10,000. It all depends on what you want to do in life and what makes you happy. There are people out there who spend as much money on bigger horses and hate every time they spend with them.If i paid £2,200 for a shetland and it made me happy then it would be worth every penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's my thoughts exactly.
G is 9.3hh. Too small for me to ride, but he'll last my children another 4 years.
I lost my nerve riding and never quite regained it. Unless i'm riding something i can 100% trust, I just don't enjoy it anymore
frown.gif
I used to be one of the "hate shetties" crew. I thought they looked cute but were little sods.
The problem with shetties and miniatures is (and I keep saying this), people treat them like pets. They stick them in gardens, feed them tit bits and expect them to be good as gold. In fact, all they are are big horses stuck in little bodies. they have the same needs, the same behaviour. They need to be kept interested and they love learning. Stick ours out for a few months and he'd be hard to handle, but handled daily, like any other horse, and he's fine.
Personally, I wouldnt have a TB, they have a reputation for being skittish.... but then reputation isnt everything.
He gives my kids so much happiness. And when they outgrow him he will be broken to drive, so that the whole family can have fun with him.If anything, I have found shetties have much more personality than any other type of equine, possibly to make up for their lack in height
grin.gif