Would you PTS a healthy horse

coen

Visit site
I am interested in peoples views on whether or not you would consider putting down a healthy horse based on behaviour?

If a horse is dangerous to ride, and has then been retired so to speak but is also unpredictable in hand and therefore not an easy companion to have at home and causing risk putting out/in from the field.

Would you have the horse pts on the basis that everything had been tried over the years and it is more hassle than it is worth/accident waiting to happen.

Or would you pay for an alternative place where he could be turned away year round.
Considering that you would then incur a financial cost, regularly monitor welfare encase it didn't do well without a rug ect and be liable for any other issues e.g injuries/damaging fences ect?

ihatework

Visit site
Depends how much I liked the horse and what my financial situation was.
It wouldn't be wrong to PTS, and yes I probably would.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Depends how much I liked the horse and what my financial situation was.
It wouldn't be wrong to PTS.

^^ agree
I nearly had one of mine pts as she was so difficult to the point of dangerous for the first 12 month of owning her. I couldn't have passed her on to another home, it was a disaster waiting to happen and not something I could have coped with on my conscience. Happily that horse turned around, but it wouldn't have been the worst ending she could have had.

paddi22

Visit site
I had to pts a horse I absolutely adored, because his kissing spine made him dangerous to ride. I would have happily kept him as a companion, but he just didn't work as one. He got injured constantly, got abcesss constantly, broke fencing, was very high spirited and kicked the other horses, wound them up when i was trying to catch them, screamed and wound up the others into fence walking if anyone left the field. He needed to be pumped with feed to keep condition, I spend about 50 euro a year just repairing rugs he tore constantly.

It was a hard decision but I had to pts as he just didn't work as a companion. Even retired he cost so much money and time and stress. I made the decision and took him to the hunt and i never regretted it, and it was a relief when it was done. I gave him a great life, and tried every single thing I could to make it work, but I just couldn't. I was there with him when he was pts and it was so quick and painless.

JillA

Visit site
Only very reluctantly, it would depend on the problem and whether everything really HAD been tried, including behaviour experts. Horses like that often have a health or physical problem and are not at all happy, if I could no longer keep him I would PTS rather than pass him on to a future of bullying, possible sales and meatmen

Antw23uk

Visit site
I am interested in peoples views on whether or not you would consider putting down a healthy horse based on behaviour?

If a horse is dangerous to ride, and has then been retired so to speak but is also unpredictable in hand and therefore not an easy companion to have at home and causing risk putting out/in from the field.

Would you have the horse pts on the basis that everything had been tried over the years and it is more hassle than it is worth/accident waiting to happen.

Or would you pay for an alternative place where he could be turned away year round.
Considering that you would then incur a financial cost, regularly monitor welfare encase it didn't do well without a rug ect and be liable for any other issues e.g injuries/damaging fences ect?

With a horse you are describing then yes I would reluctantly PTS. I would justify it by it being the right and responsible thing to do in my situation.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The thing is that even turned away year round they are likely going to need even minimal handling and if I couldn't do that myself (and even then) and it wasn't safe for others to do then I would PTS.

Ceriann

Visit site
Rationally and objectively yes I would and I don't think anyone should feel guilty for doing it - whether I could do it is another matter. I have two companions and one ridden - I've made my life harder keeping the two companions but neither is dangerous etc so I don't have that dilemma. I feel very sorry fir anyone that does.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
If they're not happy and you can't get to the bottom of why - and if their behaviour is on the 'dangerous' level then generally they are not happy for whatever reason - then yes I would.

However, fortunately I've never been in that situation so I can't say hand on heart what I would do, but I certainly wouldn't risk them every being passed on to someone else.

Spiritedly

Visit site
I currently have one who is not safe to be ridden due to his unpredictable and dangerous behaviour, luckily he is only 13.3 and a good does it's not beyond me financially to keep him as a filed ornament/ field companion but if I was ever unable to keep him then he would be pts. He is only 7 and is good on the ground but when he has a rider he will flip really quickly and do anything to get his rider off and he doesn't care where he is at the time.
I have had all the checks done on him, he has been sent away to be assessed...and was the first pony to have the trainer off for over 10 years!...Because of his height and temperament on the ground he would appear to be a perfect childs pony but he would in all probability kill or seriously injure a child :( As a result I could not take the chance that he would end up being passed on as a childs pony so the safest thing would be for him to be pts.

SEL

Visit site
I worked at a yard once where an owner took the decision to PTS her mare because she was so dangerous on the ground. Under saddle she wasn't bad (I could ride her as a teenager), but they actually kept her stable locked to avoid anyone accidentally going in. No idea of what had gone on in her background to get her to that stage, but after too many incidents her owner called time. I seem to remember the YO breathing a sigh of relief because ultimately they were responsible for people on the yard and it was just getting too hard to manage.

I was pretty upset as I used to ride the horse - but I was never allowed to go near her, just legged up when she was ready. So with a few decades of experience behind me now I think the owner made the right call. A sad call, but ultimately we can't cure every horse.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Absolutely. If I couldn't keep it as a field ornament then it would be PTS.

One at my yard was put down due to bad behavior issues - he was dangerous and unpredictable. He was only 4, but IMO the owner made the right decision.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would if I thought the horse was beyond help and could seriously hurt someone, it's not worth the risk handling such horses.

I remember years ago a livery bought a horse unseen and he was the most dangerous horse I have ever known, he was a 17h thug and he put several people in hospital in the short time I knew him including both of his owners, some local vets refused to treat him and they couldn't get a farrier to shoe him, me personally wouldn't give such a horse stable room.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Many years ago, I almost did. We knew what we intended to do, were just trying to work round Christmas/my birthday because I had stopped riding her, first on the road, then at all and she was almost impossible to handle at times - it took 2 to lead her across a field. Her behaviour was unpredictable and dangerous at times. She also had a persistent cough that we couldn't get to the bottom of. Then sis read an article about a horse with food intolerances, which had stopped coughing when the food trigger had been identified. We decided to adjust her diet to try to make her more comfortable. The change in her was unbelievable - she was like a drug addict going 'cold turkey' for about 3 days and then settled down. We kept her as a companion for another 12 yrs but never really trusted her enough to ride her as we never could guarantee that passers-by hadn't fed her.
If we hadn't found the trigger, she *would* have been pts and I would support any-one who made that decision for their own horse.

coen

Visit site
Thanks for the opinions it is really helpful.

I have owned the horse in question for over 8years and there have been numerous accidents to myself and others over that time. Nearly two years ago I bought a house with land and decided to stop riding him completely and was more than happy to keep him as a field ornament so to speak.
And whilst he is not bat **** crazy every day you just never know when he will be, I manage everything around him, he is in the paddocks nearest the yard ect but even so in the past year I have been kicked, my husband has been ect and now I don't let the groom put out or bring him in ect.

The most recent incident was at the weekend when I was bringing him in from the field (30 secs from yard!) he reared up multiple times striking out & getting me in the shoulder & head before galloping at & biting my other gelding who my husband was about to get in. The other gelding bolted in a panic back to the yard and had a really bad fall on the concrete (we are still assessing the damage as he has now gone lame in front).

So the husband thinks enough is enough and I am inclined to agree but he thinks PTS and I am a little soft (and have never had to do that even with an ill horse so no idea what to expect).
So I am considering turning him away locally but I am just not sure what the best thing to do is. If pts is selfish or if not doing so is just being weak.
I would never pass on the horse to anyone else I couldn't bare for him to be a welfare risk he has always been looked after and had a good life.

SEL

Visit site

I have owned the horse in question for over 8years and there have been numerous accidents to myself and others over that time. Nearly two years ago I bought a house with land and decided to stop riding him completely and was more than happy to keep him as a field ornament so to speak.
And whilst he is not bat **** crazy every day you just never know when he will be, I manage everything around him, he is in the paddocks nearest the yard ect but even so in the past year I have been kicked, my husband has been ect and now I don't let the groom put out or bring him in ect.

The most recent incident was at the weekend when I was bringing him in from the field (30 secs from yard!) he reared up multiple times striking out & getting me in the shoulder & head before galloping at & biting my other gelding who my husband was about to get in. The other gelding bolted in a panic back to the yard and had a really bad fall on the concrete (we are still assessing the damage as he has now gone lame in front).

So the husband thinks enough is enough and I am inclined to agree but he thinks PTS and I am a little soft (and have never had to do that even with an ill horse so no idea what to expect).
So I am considering turning him away locally but I am just not sure what the best thing to do is. If pts is selfish or if not doing so is just being weak.
I would never pass on the horse to anyone else I couldn't bare for him to be a welfare risk he has always been looked after and had a good life.

I read this and I think PTS is the right call - for all of you xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
I done it twice once to a home bred three yo who had a very inpredicable temperament and once to Clydesdale / Welsh d who had issues with breaking out buildings ( through a wall on one memorable occasion )and trashing transport .
both of these horses where an injury to a human waiting to happen when you employ people you can't risk it .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Where are you going to be able to turn him away locally where no one has to handle him ever?

It doesn't sound like he can be that happy behaving like that either.

fredflop

Visit site
Unfortunately having to look at doing so atm. Things have been forced on me th at havemade it very difficult to keep a horse in rehab, with no chance of changing my situation

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't think either of those is correct. I don't think it's helpful to try and put that kind of emotional judgement on it. You've obviously done your best with the horse so far, and it would be a kind ending to the story if you decide to pts - he won't know anything about it, and you are potentially saving yourself a lot of heartache or worse, should another accident happen. Sorry you're in this position, I think you should turn to your husband for support on this... sounds like he is able to be clear thinking about it and will hopefully help you to move on.

be positive

Visit site
It is all very well micro managing a horse like this but it is a serious accident waiting to happen, you were lucky to walk away from being kicked this time, it is a risk too far to expect other people to deal with him which even turned away they will have to from time to time for routine farrier care etc, I would pts and know it was for the best, it is not selfish to consider your own health when making the decision, if he injures you then who will care for him and your other horse needs to be considered as well.

crabbymare

Visit site

That is not a horse that could be turned away with someone else, far too dangerous and you could have a nasty claim on your hands if he hurt someone. What would happen if he was in a group of other horses and another owner went to the field to see their horse with their family and a child thought it would be nice to pat the horsey on his nose?
You need to either keep him with you and hope like crazy that he does not hurt you, your husband, your horse again, or pts, and if it helps he is not acting like a healthy horse, mental illness is also a health issue :(

Charlie007

Visit site
Yes I would if I had felt I had tried everything and I was unable to safely retire him. As others have said there are a lot worse things . It doesn't make it any easier for you but you are obviously a very caring owner with the horse's best interests at heart xxx

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Just read your update OP.

I was on the side of pts before reading it, now I'm even more of that opinion.

You say you're the 'soft' one. If someone gets hurt, if your other horse is hurt again, if this horse hurts himself and can't be treated as people can't safely get close enough, who will you be soft on then?

The above isn't a dig. It's just another way of viewing your response.

Seville

Visit site
I wonder if he has a brain tumour? I once knew a horse who went from a decent riding horse to totally lethal. Couldn't be led, attacked anyone who approached, then quiet as a lamb. Put farrier in hospital, then was calm as you like for days. He was p.m'd after pts and he had a brain tumour.