Would you put her through it?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Horse got a nail in the frog, been at hospital two days, initially good, but now looking like may be infected and require operation.

Horse is my horse of a lifetime, done everything for me, but is 20 and recently been diagnosed with Cushing and arthritis. She's already on medication for both, generally doing ok. But is it fair to put her through box rest etc if her future is possibly restricted grazing etc. On the plus side I think she will be ok mentally on boxrest and we have a large hard standing turnout around her stable so I could manage it.

My heart is saying operate, my head is saying is it for me or her? What would you do?

I would - as one of my livery horses trod on a screw - he was a 20 year old french tb - touch and go whether it hit the pedal bone and infection. He made it though with dedication from the owner and vet. Sadly colic got him a year later but he pulled through the screw, and went on to be more than just field sound. it was awful I led him out stable and he trod on his likit which un be known to us had a screw fall in it and he trod in it and launched forward, nothing could be seen but vet called and xray showed this.
IMG_1831_zpse6qnkaat.jpg

So in answer yes I would put them on box rest it is only a short time till you get over the infection risk, and he had arthritis too but was fine as she would lead him outside to poultice him.

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Glad to hear the op went well, fingers crossed for a full recovery. My lad stepped on a nail when he was 15, missed his navicular bursae by 2mm. Unfortunately due to the time of year he had to be kept in for several months. He had to wear a metal plate over the dressing. Made a good recovery and luckily he was insured as the bill ran up to £3.5k.

He's now 25 and virtually retired but still enjoys a pootle about from time to time.

ozpoz

Visit site
Hoping you both are on the road to recovery. One of ours needed physio after a similar nail in foot situation as he hurt his back with non weight bearing on one foot. He was absolutely fine once this was done.

huskydamage

Visit site
I had to have my 25yr old on box rest (i did small pens) for a long time when she injured her tendon. I was worried as she has arthritis and gets v stiff when not moving around, but she is more resilient than i thought and has now recovered to return to hacking and galloping round her field as usual . I wouldn't put her through major surgery if prognosis was bad and wasn't interested in any tendon invasive options.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Thanks everyone, loving reading the success stories. They are saying she's doing well and are happy with what they see when they change the dressing, but she is a little uncomfortable on both hind legs from her arthiritis so they've upped her anti inflammatory dose.

I'm going up to see her today. It's her 20th birthday. Not quite how I'd hoped to celebrate it, but I'm glad she's still here.

Ceriann

Visit site
Thanks everyone, loving reading the success stories. They are saying she's doing well and are happy with what they see when they change the dressing, but she is a little uncomfortable on both hind legs from her arthiritis so they've upped her anti inflammatory dose.

I'm going up to see her today. It's her 20th birthday. Not quite how I'd hoped to celebrate it, but I'm glad she's still here.

Good to hear she's doing well - not such a bad birthday all things considered. I hope she continues to make a good recovery and you have some good luck going forward.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just a little update. She came home yesterday. Unfortunately I had to go away on a four day work trip before she came, so I haven't seen her, but my husband says she's happy. Our other horse, who has been such a good boy on his own for ten days, hasn't stopped grooming her over the door since she got back. She's got another few weeks of box rest, but we have plans to section off a 12 X 18 bit of the yard in front of her stable for her while our other horse is next to her on the hardstanding turnout.

googol

Visit site
Just a little update. She came home yesterday. Unfortunately I had to go away on a four day work trip before she came, so I haven't seen her, but my husband says she's happy. Our other horse, who has been such a good boy on his own for ten days, hasn't stopped grooming her over the door since she got back. She's got another few weeks of box rest, but we have plans to section off a 12 X 18 bit of the yard in front of her stable for her while our other horse is next to her on the hardstanding turnout.

Glad to hear she’s doing well
Lovely that they are getting nice grooming time! What a lucky girl that you are able to give her such good facilities while she recovers.
Hope the rest of her recovery goes quickly and smoothly