Would you risk breeding from this mare?

millikins

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 March 2011
Messages
3,362
Mare in question is an Eriskay, on RBST critical list so reasonable to want to have a foal. Have the space and knowledge to start a youngster properly. If a filly would probably keep.
The mare is 20, in good health and has had 3 foals before we bought her. But, and it's a big but, she retained the placenta with all 3, 1st led to hospitalisation with toxic laminitis, 2nd vet was prepared and problem averted, 3rd, apparently different vet dismissed concerns and again hospitalised.
I have discussed this with my vet and farrier (who breeds Welshies), both say it wouldn't concern them unduly so long as they knew, however this would be our first foal and couldn't bear it if we caused harm to a much loved pony. She would also be uninsurable.
How much of a risk would this be?
 

madlady

Well-Known Member
Joined
3 October 2006
Messages
1,654
Both of my mares have retained placentas - one of them on 3 births the other on 1 - but we had an inkling she was going to do it as it is quite common for the breed and also her mum did it.

I knew about it before they were put in foal and my vet was also fully aware - he gave us the option of sending them in to the practice to foal or deal with it knowing it would mean a vet visit.

I decided to let them foal at home with me - in each case I phoned the vet when the birth was imminent to put them on standby and allowed up to an hour after foaling before I made the call. On discussion with my vet he advised that 4 hours was max amount of time he was comfortable with before a vet got there.

On each occasion vet arrived, oxytocin was given, placenta removed and checked, antibiotics given and no further issues. Healthy happy mare and foal on each occasion.

Having a mare who retains placenta wouldn't put me off.
 

Elf On A Shelf

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 February 2011
Messages
13,395
Given that it is a rare breed, you understand the issue and so long as you are prepared and have the funds available to take on the resulting vets bill if indeed there is one then yes, I would risk it. Eriskay's are such a lovely breed and are very much in decline. Hope and pray you get a filly to carry on the line.
 

millikins

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 March 2011
Messages
3,362
Given that it is a rare breed, you understand the issue and so long as you are prepared and have the funds available to take on the resulting vets bill if indeed there is one then yes, I would risk it. Eriskay's are such a lovely breed and are very much in decline. Hope and pray you get a filly to carry on the line.
Many thanks EKW. She is a lovely girl :)
 

crabbymare

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 March 2006
Messages
2,910
ditto ekw re giving it a try. just make sure the vet is aware when she is about to foal so that they can be prepared and also try to keep her as slim as possible (obviously without underfeeding her or having her thin) so that she is as fit as she can be and her body will have the best possible chance of not retaining the placenta. as from the ones I have seen its the horses that are heading to being overweight that were more likely to have the problem
 

Alec Swan

Well-Known Member
Joined
20 October 2009
Messages
21,082
Location
Norfolk.
…….., 1st led to hospitalisation with toxic laminitis, 2nd vet was prepared and problem averted, …….. ?
It's the aspect of Laminitis that would concern me. There's little written evidence that I can find to support this, but there's a long held view with many vets that once a horse has Laminitis once and for whatever individual reason, then they will be at risk of further attacks, and they can be brought on following, again, just about any challenge. 3 summers ago I put down a much loved mare, those who we bought her from and they'd bred her, assured us that she'd never had it with them, she was heavily stressed by another mare which was due, and was trying to steal her foal, and we got her over it. As soon as the foal was weaned she again went down and that was the end of that.

If you do take her on, I would strongly suggest that you have the vet attend 'immediately' after the birth, and wash the mare out. Would I breed from her? Probably not, but that isn't to say that you shouldn't!

Alec.
 

Equi

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 October 2010
Messages
12,635
I'd probably give it a go. You know she can have issues so will need vet care immediately and if all done right she should be okay. She may need help to get and stay pregnant though.
 

Goldenstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 March 2011
Messages
42,253
You would need to have foaling cameras or a alarm and call the vet as soon as she shows signs of foaling .
As long as the vet was on board and was not going to poo poo your fears ( how dumb was that third vet ) and you understand the risk it worth a shot because of the rarity of the breed .
However if she did not take easily at stud ( or after say three try's AI )I would not be moving heaven and earth to get her to conceive.
Feed her a suitable balancer from now and send her fit and slim to stud and if nature takes it's course great but it's my experience no good comes at flinging all the tools of veterinary science to get an older or those with breeding issues to conceive .
Good luck with it .
 
Top