Would you rug a 2 year old?

tangoharvey

Visit site
Bought a lightweight turnout rug for my new shire TB X, she's two and just getting to be a nice weight. Someone on my yard today said they wouldn't try and rug her til she's broken. As she's semi wild it will take a bit if coaxing to get the rug on but it got me thinking should I? And would you? Currently she's stabled every night but out in a small paddock in the day. Thanks for your thoughts....

Equi

Visit site
I would start putting it on to get her used to rugging at the very least. Then stick to putting it on for rainy days if you want, its only a lw. But she needs to get used to it now.

Spring Feather

Visit site
All my youngsters are rugged, however if I didn't generally rug, I always would for one who was planning to be backed the following spring; makes life so much easier when it comes to backing.

As to feral horses being rugged; I have one who I've just rugged for winter. I've spent loads and loads of time with her every day over the past couple of months I've owned her and she was actually pretty good with the rug. I made sure the fillet strap was at the right length and the surcingles so that I wouldn't have any extra fuffing about to do once it was on her. I went about it in the same way as I rug the foals for the first time, no messing about, just do it. She jigged around a little but I didn't dilly dally, I just got on with it, and then immediately turned her loose. She trotted off and then stopped to sniff herself in her new clothes.

spoo

Visit site
My 18month to old is stabled and naked at night but when turned out during day if wet he wears a rain sheet purely for the fact that if he gets wet his coat is so thick it takes days to dry!!

be positive

Visit site
I am of the same opinion as Spring Feather I would rug as part of her education prior to backing but for your horse that you can barely lead I would be waiting until I was further on in the process, she certainly wont need one and you will be pushing your luck to try and put one on at this stage, work on her ground manners and control first, plenty of time to rug ready for next winter.

Visit site
I don't rug my youngsters, untill into proper work. I would put one on every now and again, when in the stable to get the tickle out of mine, but in this case I wouldnt. If she's unsure of you at the moment, then frighting her with a rug is not going to help your relationship with her.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
I rug mine if they need it. at the moment they are naked, although I did put one n the other day as it was wet, windy and cold. I would get her used to having one on,and use it when she's cold.

tangoharvey

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I've always believed that the best way to keep a horse warm is through good forage and feed!! She's not cold, and is in at night BUT. On my livery yard of 50 horses she would pretty much be the only one unrugged!!! I think I will just use an old fleece for now to get her used to having it on and off etc. then if we do get continual rain or snow I have a rug ready to keep her dry.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
She's not cold, and is in at night BUT. On my livery yard of 50 horses she would pretty much be the only one unrugged!!!

Personally I rug based on my horse's individual needs and not because everyone else has put rugs on. By all means get your youngster used to the rugging process but don't rug unnecessarily just because all the others have rugs on.

Lintel

Visit site
Mine was rugged at 2 more so to get him used to being rugged only ever had a lightweight turnout and a fleece mind you! Or I'd have spent a fortune on rugs just for him to grow!! :)

windand rain

Visit site
In your circumstances not a chance not until she is happy with you to walk up to her and come to you and if you do get her quiet enough to practice then use it in the stable for a few minutes if your plan is to keep her warm and dry never use a lightweight they make horses cold and lose weight because of it. In Autumn Winter and early Spring the minimum weight should be a medium which will keep her warm when her normal coat function is impaired. Good luck but please be careful rugs are just something else a scared horse can injure themselves on. I am sure by next year she will be a gentle and happy girl but for now you need to keep both of you safe

Echo24

Visit site
My youngster is regularly the only one not rugged on my yard! He was only ever rugged if out in continuous down pour and high winds, but I had practiced getting him used to wearing one before sticking one on. If yours is not well handled I would leave it, I'm sure she will cope if there's plenty of grass.

Slave2Magic

Visit site
My 3 year old doesn't wear a rug and won't until training dictates that he needs one. He has had one thrown on him to get used to one but is perfectly fine in his own very thick winter coat. He is out 24/7 and has access to shelter.

sport horse

Visit site
I have bred horses for 40 years and never yet had to rug a youngster. I do stand them in overnight if the weather is wet and below freezing for any length of time. So far this year in the south of England we have barely reached single figure temperatures let alone sub zero and the horses coats are well able to cope with that. In fact putting a rug on flattens their own coat and stops its natural insulation. Your youngster is semi feral so do not terrify it yet awhile putting a rug on. It is in overnight so whatever the weather it will dry out once in every 24 hour period. Rugs can only be dangerous - they slip, rub and can get caught on fences, trees, other horses etc. Although I have never rugged a youngster I do keep and produce my youngstock and I have never had a problem rugging once they are broken.

Clodagh

Visit site
Put it on her each day when you bring her in so that she gets used to it. You can just leave it on while you potter around, then take it off before you leave.

This, and if she is nervous always do it in a stable, make sure she is ok with things touching her tummy and if really spooky cut up and old rug first so it isn't right over the quarters. I rugged my boy from a yearling as he got cold (and lived out)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If she's never been rugged before, start with something small (I used a tea towel, but a saddlecloth would be fine) as you want to build up her confidence, not frighten her. Once she's happy with that you can use the rug but fold it up small to start with (a LW is ideal for this), only progressing to it being folded less when she's ready.

ETA - don't forget that you will also need to gently introduce her to the concept of having you reach under her tummy to get the straps. IME I have found that mares can also be sensitive the first time you do leg straps up, so a bit of gentle preparation (touching the inside of her hind legs) is wise.

Last edited:

Moya_999

Visit site
Bought a lightweight turnout rug for my new shire TB X, she's two and just getting to be a nice weight. Someone on my yard today said they wouldn't try and rug her til she's broken. As she's semi wild it will take a bit if coaxing to get the rug on but it got me thinking should I? And would you? Currently she's stabled every night but out in a small paddock in the day. Thanks for your thoughts....

Depends on the individual really, when my mare was 15 months old I hated knowing she was out in the elements without a rug, so I brought a canvas rug extra deep so no cross overs just leg straps and the front buckle. She had two bucks in the field and went back to grazing and never looked back. Same with all the other horses since then, so without knowing your horse I would but one without cross overs so there is as littel straps as possible till used to it.

ridefast

Visit site
If she's coming in at night then I wouldn't say she NEEDS a rug as she's getting a chance to dry off - I would only rug if a horse is out in foul weather 24/7 with no shelter. However as part of her education it is brilliant prior backing to get them used to you throwing anything and everything over them and moving around with foreign objects on them.

Char0901

Visit site
Glad she was good! Sometimes it's best to just get on with things (to a certain extent obviously!)
My youngster (now 18 months) had his first rug on when about 5 months old. They were out in the field so had them both (mum and him) on lead ropes. I held him, friend rubbed him all over with the rug, just a little waterproof, then popped it on. Walked him a bit then did it up. Walked and trotted him, then let him lose. He never batted an eyelid... I can throw anything around him now, and he doesn't so much as look up!

Spot_On

Visit site
My 18 month old has never worn a rug, but I often chuck my jumper or coat over the back to get used to something being there. I once left my jumper on her back and walked off to poo pick… It was only when she pulled it off and flung in her water bucket I remembered lol!

Enfys

Visit site
Yes.

I rug everything - even my goat - currently sporting a bright pink foal blanket, we have told him that pink is blue ;)

My foals have blankets on from the time they are a day old, when they come in to be fed they have a blanket slung over them for a few minutes, so they know what it is all about. When it comes to rugging time I bring them in, rug up Mom ( and Yes, they can still drink :) ) and plop a rug on them too. I don't expect a fuss so I don't get one.

I have reached that happy stage in my life where what other people think, or say, about what I do doesn't mean a toot to me, my ranch, my rules :D If anyone is so worried about my horses they can buy them and do things their way, prices start at $10,000 ;)

Luci07

Visit site
All of you are offering well thought responses.

Mine was more financially biased. Having seen what the 2year old did to his new rug I wouldn't be bothering!

Tnavas

Visit site
My baby - the day he was weaned - I put the cover on the night before but his mum attacked him so took it off again. Then next day he was weaned, cover went on - never turned a hair about it. Same with the weaning - it didn't worry him in the least

WishawSerenade20070414036.jpg