Would you say this dog is part spaniel?

sam-b

Visit site
11231755_10153292450200421_6232460757830766566_n.jpg

11888030_10153521860305421_7151918376376275741_n.jpg

Also at 11 months old Is he likely to grow much more?

sam-b

Visit site
What would you think ? He stands about 42cm at the wither. I had a dna teat which came back as spaniel X chihuahua!

puppystitch

Visit site
I see terrier too, in the shape of the face / snout. But the ears are quite big. Could be spaniel in there somewhere I suppose, but I don't see any chihuahua at all!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Probably more than 2 breeds in there, I would say JR x Collie as those pesky farm Collies get everywhere.

I wondered collie too but the ones I have known have been fluffy! I guess you might get an idea from the dog's behaviour too.

The DNA breed tests are rubbish/pointless IMO!

sam-b

Visit site
See, I wondered springer X jrt , I have 4 collies and Def don't see collie traits in him. He is however constantly wired and he lives nothing more than lying down in filthy water. ...

puppystitch

Visit site
There are a couple of black and white springer crosses I walk with you have very similar markings, but they still have the long coat, and the kind of dome shaped spanielly head which yours doesn't. Whatever he is, he's lovely :)

sam-b

Visit site
Dalmatian it is then! Lol

There are actually dalmatian crosses from very close to where he came from. These are cross collies and are literally a taller version of him... They look identical apart from their size ?

Here is a pic of the dalmation x on the left and him on the right, he was probably about 7 months in this pic
https://www.facebook.com/sam.bowman2/posts/10153271925635421

Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I don't think the two in the FB post look very similar, tbh. The earset is different, although this is the interesting thing about crosses, littermates can be very different. This is true with pedigrees, too, mine look nothing alike bar the colour.

He could be a spaniel x, the spots are very similar to my two b/w springers, but the ears are a very different shape. It's a shame DNA tests are so unreliable, I'd be really interested to know if I had a rescue too. He's a very good looking lad, bet he's lots of fun!

suffolkmare

Visit site
Could see possible Dalmatian x, looks like quite a bit of JRT but also a bit of springer/working cocker/sprocker in there?! Basically a small "real" dog, :D

druid

Visit site
Spaniel can be very different, I've got two sat next to me one is a cob - 21kg, blocky head and lots of bone. The other is 13.5kg, racy, much flashier but still quite masculine.

sam-b

Visit site
He is certainly very buzzy, and he is very fast, faster than my collie (who isn't slow!) and his tail never stops wagging :)

Alec Swan

Visit site
He is certainly very buzzy, and he is very fast, faster than my collie (who isn't slow!) and his tail never stops wagging :)

Looking at the pic, I fail to see any spaniel influence, BUT, if his tail is constantly at work, then that's the soundest indication of a spaniel having been involved, somewhere along the line! I also think that what may appear to be 'spots' are actually flecking (or the residue), which is another spaniel influence, and more usually Cocker. Apart from that, Dunno! :)

Alec.

sam-b

Visit site
Yes, it doesn't stop, he also loves running around with dead birds when he finds them, and any water on a walk, he doesn't just paddle, he will lie down in it... he adores water, the dirtier the better....

meandmyself

Visit site
Yes, it doesn't stop, he also loves running around with dead birds when he finds them, and any water on a walk, he doesn't just paddle, he will lie down in it... he adores water, the dirtier the better....

My 100% Jack Russell does all of those things too. And he's spotty.