Would you say this was "cruel"

Starbucks

Visit site
I used to hunt my dads 17.1 warmblood, he loved it.
smile.gif

However, he was totally up for it, a little wild most might say.

My dad and I both hunted him in a fat french link snaffle, and it cut his mouth to ribbons, but we carried on hunting him with the cuts. and he carried on no matter what!!

Is that cruel?

I would not say cruel maybe inconsiderate.

I would have waited for the cuts to heal no matter how up for it he was sometime adreneline can take hold and they seem to be up for it but it does not mean they are not in any discomfort.

Syrah

Visit site
To be blunt - yes!

Use a bit that doesn't cut his mouth to ribbons and let the cuts heal.

I've got a feeling this isn't the whole story though.

I just think out of principle you should not ride a horse with a cut mouth especially when stated as been 'cut to ribbons' if you need to ride the ride in a hackamore.

vicm2509

Visit site
I would not go as far as saying it was cruel, but I certainly wouldn't do it to my horse. Horses put up with a lot as they feel they should not object or complain. You say he carried on, but that does not mean it was not hurting him. It is like we sometimes ride when we have an injury, but at least we have the option.

rara007

Visit site
Not cruel, but it is causing uneccisary suffering so prehaps. Unkind and inconsiderate at the least. The only time one of ours mouth cut was during a long hack, so we had to ride home although I did feel bad about it. When Pip had the virus in his mouth I left it as long as I could before starting to use a bit again.

Starbucks

Visit site
Ok - *horse is dead now*

What should we have done with him though?

He was a [****] of a horse, he really was a naughty boy, all he would do was dressage and of course his beloved hunting.

My dad sold him, to a dressage lady, he hated it and tried to kill her, he was a twat!! We bought him back.

Should we have stopped hunting him?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok - *horse is dead now*

What should we have done with him though?

He was a [****] of a horse, he really was a naughty boy, all he would do was dressage and of course his beloved hunting.

My dad sold him, to a dressage lady, he hated it and tried to kill her, he was a twat!! We bought him back.

Should we have stopped hunting him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how much of a ar$e it was you had other options.

1.lunge the energy out of it

2. use a hackamore

There is no excuse for riding let alone hunting a horse with a mouth as you put it cut to ribbons.
So the horse was a so and so you put up with it rather than cause it more harm or discomfort.

Im appauled your trying to justify it.

Tia

Visit site
French link snaffles do not normally cut horses mouths to ribbons. Either there was rider error or the bit was not suitable, in which case finding another bit would probably have been what most people would have done.

Starbucks

Visit site
No, I'm not on a wind up!

We put him in the softed bit we could, that anyone could hold him in. But his mouth did cut.
frown.gif
But he had lots of fun
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
French link snaffles do not normally cut horses mouths to ribbons. Either there was rider error or the bit was not suitable, in which case finding another bit would probably have been what most people would have done.

[/ QUOTE ]

And given it time off for its mouth to heal and lunged it if it had so much energy or bitless bridle bearing in mind they are strong anyway so not like you would not of had control still.

[ QUOTE ]

We put him in the softed bit we could, that anyone could hold him in. But his mouth did cut.
frown.gif
But he had lots of fun
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well as long as he had fun then you carried on hunting him with a torn mouth thats all that mattered god forbid you miss hunting for a couple of weeks or go to the expense of buying a bitless bridle.

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

frown.gif
But he had lots of fun
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For the amount of bits that are out there at the minute , I'm pretty sure you would have got one to suit him , I'm still shocked that you admitted to riding him whilst his mouth was still cutting and sore, Perhaps he was going all the harder to try and get away from the pain that you had caused him ie the bit .
crazy.gif
( his love of hunting )

Starbucks

Visit site
ok cut to ribbons is not quite right, but he had a very fat french link, and he always had little cuts at the side of his mouth.

[ QUOTE ]
ok cut to ribbons is not quite right, but he had a very fat french link, and he always had little cuts at the side of his mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again your sounding like a clueless idiot IMO you cant try justify it by saying his mouth was always cut from it that just makes it worse.