Pictures Would you scope?

Michen

Visit site
Dithering a little as to whether to scope Boggle. He’s extremely fit, hunting weekly or competing if not hunting. It’s an achievement if I school once a week (I keep saying I’ll fix this!) but the reality is I have very little time during the working week and his sharer only wants to hack. So he’s not a muscled dressage pony!

I’ve tried him on every type of feed you can imagine. Copious amounts of linseed (won’t eat a feed if more than half a scoop in it), oats, conditioning cubes (sent him nuts), equijewel, outshine, Dodson and h build and glow, Speedi beet, copra, key flow.

Currently he’s on Alfa a oil, alphabeet and pony nuts (to make him eat the Alfa). But although he’s not really losing any I just cannot get any more weight on. Ad lib haylage.

He feels fantastic, has a great shine, isn’t girthy or grumpy with grooming. He is a very buzzy horse and has started in the last month getting quite “wound up” when bought in early and tied up to tack up and ride. I think he associates coming in early as potentially going out hunting so he gets excited, and poos a lot.

I’m wondering if it would be worth having him scoped. I feed him protexin anyway, but considering his buzzy nature I do wonder if he could be creating ulcers for himself from being excited about life. That said I wouldn’t label him at all as stressy in general.. but I guess there’s a fine line between buzzy and stressy and both could cause ulcers?

I wouldn’t take the decision to scope lightly as he’d then be excluded for all sorts of things but I’m wondering if there’s an underlying reason why he won’t put weight on despite copious amounts of feed, or whether it’s just the way he is. He did come over from Ireland two years ago in extremely poor condition and has never been one to be fat even mid summer.

Pics below. He hunted a full day on sat so probably looking a little more lean/tucked up than the norm. I’m probably overly worrying given spring is around the corner but he’s such a genuine chap I’d hate to be ignoring an issue if there was one. I’d always prefer a lean fit horse over a fat unfit horse, but he is technically a native pony (Connemara!) and really you could mistake him for a little TB.

576A564A-715C-4EFD-A503-70E5FD00D5A8.jpeg46B9EA6C-A0D2-40DF-A2D6-73F838159237.jpeg

ihatework

Visit site
He’s probably just a buzzy little slim Jim.

If it puts your mind at rest it won’t hurt, but I’d hold off until you can get a good deal on scoping, lots of practises now offer scoping days where it’s a fraction of the cost

Reactions: TPO

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
For what its worth my little PBA was always a nightmare to keep weight on, though she was more the type to run lean (Arab x TB). I did scope and they did find ulcers (no typical ulcer symptoms either apart from difficulty holding wight), though I would say I think the biggest thing to get her to put weight on was finding the right management to suit her needs rather than anything else.

I'm still not sure if her being so stressy (separation anxiety) caused the ulcers or the ulcers caused her to be extra stressed on top of her existing issues?

But once she had her routine of never ever being left alone (even in the stable when taking horses to the field she goes with Topaz now), she holds her weight so much better now, even if she is 26 the old fart lol.

pippixox

Visit site
Wow- stunning! Honestly although I can see your concern, they are a very fit and naturally alert horse and they look slim but not sickly. My friend recently for an ex-racer and was saying she was worried about his weight, I saw him and thought he looked perfect. She is just so used to our bunch to chubby semi-retired good doers!

Also would it really change what you do if ulcers were found?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't. How long have you had him? Just thinking if you've not had him that long I'd see what the spring grass does. Sounds like its just him(?)
However I suppose it depends if you can put it out of your head or its one of those things that will niggle at you.

Mule

Visit site
Unless he starts to show more symptoms I wouldn't. If it would affect his insurance I wouldn't do it without more evidence.

The connies seem to vary in body type quite a lot. Yours looks like a sporty version:)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had one full tb that I couldn't keep weight on until I removed beet from her diet, when she blossomed. I have no idea why, I've never heard of it in another horse.

I would treat him for ulcers, yes. Probably not by scoping, but by putting him on ranitidine or omeprazole and seeing what happens.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mitchen, I'm going to follow you on this.
Got similar, buzzy 14hh mare, 9 yr old, forward going but sensible ride.
Ad lib hay (clears about 30lb overnight, leaving about 4lb of weighed 34/35lb)) and out on grass in daytime (2 of my other 3 are in grazing muzzles). 2 good hard feeds. She's happy as Larry in overnight, tried leaving her out at xmas but shes too interested in what anyone else is doing, at least she maintains fragile weight when in.
Been back with me since beginning December, put some on but then remained static after 4 weeks.
Vet calling me back later in week (rushing about doing flu jabs) as I deem it non urgent but needs discussing.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Firstly he is a sexy little beast isn't he 😍 Always loved Boggle as you know but he is looking great 😁

The two of mine who have ulcers (glandular) are both tubbers if not careful and their symptoms were ridden and tacking up rather than excitement and weight loss so for me I wouldn't automatically think ulcers, but I can see why you are thinking ulcers.

I have a friend with a very similar to Boggle sporty connie and has maintained his weight with Alfa oil if you've not tried it maybe worth a go?

SEL

Visit site
Mine does get ulcers - she's fat and gets grumpy around her stomach when they flare up. Nowadays I head for Equishure before the vets and it's much cheaper!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks all, appreciate it. I think I’ll reassess in spring when the grass has come through, and in the mean time may try something like Equishure or possibility rantandine which I could get online without the need for vets/insurance involvement. That said I suppose I’d still have to technically declare it at renewal

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Honestly, what are you fussing about? He looks great, doesn't need to be fatter: he looks like what he is - a fit, lean machine. He isn't a deep bodied horse and is a little long in the back, you'd have to stuff him to the eyeballs to get his belly to drop - why would you want that?

Merrymoles

Visit site
Like Cortez, I see a fit horse! He looks bright, good in his coat and generally like a horse should look when in a decent amount of work, which he is.

If you really can't wait until the grass comes through, try him on grass nuts - they are full of protein and cheap as chips.

SadKen

Visit site
I also think he looks absolutely fab. Different species, but I've had this with my dog who is super energised and a total machine. Unfortunately he's a machine who runs on calories, so he can drop significant weight literally overnight and turn into a hat rack. Boggle looks smashing to me - I'd be very happy if my girl looked like that, as she's less muscled and carries more weight. Coming into spring I think he looks spot on. Some creatures (like humans!) just have a fast metabolism and lots of energy, and that's a good thing. I think we are used these days to seeing fatter horses, and that makes us think ours is thin when really they are just as nature intended. I'd just sit back and be proud!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
He looks awesome. Love seeing a nicely muscled up horse. mmmm! I looked quick and thought he had TB in him!

Is he a pure Connemara? Always said that will be my next, a Connie. A few friends have them and do excellent, such gentle honest horses (from what I've seen) Something like him. How big is he?

Michen

Visit site
He looks awesome. Love seeing a nicely muscled up horse. mmmm! I looked quick and thought he had TB in him!

Is he a pure Connemara? Always said that will be my next, a Connie. A few friends have them and do excellent, such gentle honest horses (from what I've seen) Something like him. How big is he?

Thank you. Yes he’s pure Connie, his dad is the late Westside Mirah who I believe has some Tb in his lineage. He’s 15hh of pure bouncy nutty joy!

Ps wouldn’t call him gentle, he’s not for the faint hearted but when you get to know him and trust he’s mostly hot air you can laugh at his antics!

Michen

Visit site
Thanks guys. I feel better now! Lost my horse two years ago today to colic and so probably extra paranoid at the moment about everything gut related. I did think he was really lacking in muscle though and still looking weedy in that respect for his agec(rising 7) but that said he does no school work so what can I expect really...

Michen

Visit site
Firstly he is a sexy little beast isn't he 😍 Always loved Boggle as you know but he is looking great 😁

The two of mine who have ulcers (glandular) are both tubbers if not careful and their symptoms were ridden and tacking up rather than excitement and weight loss so for me I wouldn't automatically think ulcers, but I can see why you are thinking ulcers.

I have a friend with a very similar to Boggle sporty connie and has maintained his weight with Alfa oil if you've not tried it maybe worth a go?
He’s on it! You’ve always supported the boggle bugger even when he was thoroughly unpleasant 😝 guess you have a good eye!!!

Michen

Visit site
I had one full tb that I couldn't keep weight on until I removed beet from her diet, when she blossomed. I have no idea why, I've never heard of it in another horse.

I would treat him for ulcers, yes. Probably not by scoping, but by putting him on ranitidine or omeprazole and seeing what happens.
That’s really interesting as he’s been on beet of some form all winter. Maybe I’ll try swapping alfabeet for grass nuts. Hmmmm.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Thank you. Yes he’s pure Connie, his dad is the late Westside Mirah who I believe has some Tb in his lineage. He’s 15hh of pure bouncy nutty joy!

Ps wouldn’t call him gentle, he’s not for the faint hearted but when you get to know him and trust he’s mostly hot air you can laugh at his antics!

Oooo very nice. I like a bit of spirit, much more fun!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I know they are totally different breeds but one of my Arabs at 7 had such a slim frame although his neck was better he was all head and legs, I struggled to keep weight on him in the early years, and he didn't really fill out until he was 9 his 15 now and you wouldn't think it was the same horse I think some just mature late.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
He certainly looks fit - maybe a little lean (but that's far better than fat.) I think if I was concerned I'd head over to E-bay and get this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROTEXIN...1c91a2b7c:m:mq16jCtgRgYFTg6kT39N0QQ:rk:2:pf:0

Within 2 weeks, if there is a start of ulcers - or even if it's just a bit of ecess acid - you'll see a noticeable improvement. If you DO see an improvement, then keep him on it for 6 weeks. If there is that sort of problem, lucky horse who has an owner who's spotted the early signs. Ignore them, and he MIGHT turn into a buckjumper and that will mean you BOTH feel pain, lol.

Michen

Visit site
He certainly looks fit - maybe a little lean (but that's far better than fat.) I think if I was concerned I'd head over to E-bay and get this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROTEXIN...1c91a2b7c:m:mq16jCtgRgYFTg6kT39N0QQ:rk:2:pf:0

Within 2 weeks, if there is a start of ulcers - or even if it's just a bit of ecess acid - you'll see a noticeable improvement. If you DO see an improvement, then keep him on it for 6 weeks. If there is that sort of problem, lucky horse who has an owner who's spotted the early signs. Ignore them, and he MIGHT turn into a buckjumper and that will mean you BOTH feel pain, lol.
Thanks for that :) he’s acrually already on the max dose of the Protexin gut balancer. Not sure what the difference is? Have you had different results with Both?

tristar

Visit site
if only most horses looked this slim, he looks a bit like a race horse really.

i`m sure you won`t like it, but i put dollop of soaked fast fibre in our feeds twice a day, and their health and well being has improved no end.

i`m not sure if stressy from a miserable unhappy lifestyle is the same as stress from a stimulating happy interesting life, though is it ?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
another who thinks he looks fab, can't remember the time I last saw such a fit horse (I don't watch racing before anyone starts lol).Looks like he's had a winter of work to me :)
I think swapping to grass nuts might be a good call, I've known more blood type horses who have only put weight on (if you think he needs to) on Dr Green. I know people love beet but I don't see the point in it and never feed it even when they are in work.