Would you send your horse to livery unseen?

shadowboy

Visit site
Really odd question- I have just found my ideal horse, but the yard i wanted to keep it at is now full because it took me so long to keep looking. There is a yard nearby that has a space. I have not been to see it, but have spoken to the yard owner extra- know where it is etc. It has all year round turnout. one 20x 42 metre indoor arena and one 60 x 20 outdoor floodlit arena and gallops.Stables are 12x 12 in an american barn system livery is £25 per week DIY with optional services. The horse is due to arrive to me on thursday is it a bad idea to send him to the yard unseen. The reason i cant go and see it is because i live in shrops but am mooving 200 miles south (exeter way) so cant just nip down and check they ayrd- what do you guys think. The yard has no website.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Tricky one, I presume your horse will be on full livery? In that case it would make me feel a lot better meeting the staff and developing some sort of personal quaintance with them. Also would be nice to see where he would be living.

dieseldog

Visit site
I would do it, you can move later. Ask Henryhorn, Simply Nutty or Sant145 if they know the yard they are all based in devon

PinkFairy

Visit site
i would want to see it definitely. Otherwise, i would have no idea what kind of conditions my horse would be living in. I would also feel more comfortable knowing what the people etc are like.

sevenoceans

Visit site
Sorry would agree with everyone else... I looked at a yard on website it says arena, horse walker, large stables (assuming it was at least 12x12, all year round turnout.... it looks beautiful.... went to look at it... for my 17 hands horse who is mud monster and loves turn out.... what there, is largest stable was 10 x 10... arena consits of fenced off paddock, poorly drained (i believe the photograph was taken in summer making it look like sand school, there's no horse walker but what looks like a pen with a horse going mad in it!, turn out was limited to 3 hours a day! none in winter due to too many horses!! what more can i say!!! I rather keep my horse where he is an hour drive away from me
frown.gif

spider

community.webshots.com
Could you ask if you could phone an existing livery there and have a chat - sort of like a reference?Or ask the yard you originally wanted what they think of it?

_jetset_

Visit site
I am sure someone on here knows of the yard... if not, you could see whether someone could nip over and have a quick look if they are planning on going that way. At least then someone has seen it.

GTs

Visit site
I have - but I am much more lax with my horses than most of you. I got Stella sent to someones farm in the desert when I got her, did not go and visit for a couple weeks either. I also had a complete stranger ship my horses, he had them for 4 days, drove them 1100 miles.

Both could not have been better - but I am very laid back about my horses.

GTs

Visit site
Being neurotic is necessary to want the best for your horse, and in fact I would say the majority of neurotic owners provide only average care to their horses.

_jetset_

Visit site
I wouldn't say that going to visit a yard before moving your horse was neurotic. I would say it is common sense to be honest... we pay a lot of money for our hobby and therefore we want to make sure they are in a safe environment. For example, I went to see a yard that on paper sounded absolutely perfect. However when I got there, there was sheep netting galore, very uneven grazing and a sand paddock that had poor drainage. I would have been mortified if I had sent any of my horses there and something had happened to them.

However, if someone has recommended a yard that is different. At least you know one person who was happy with the place.

I agree with spider... perhaps you could ask the yard you were going to go on what they think of the yard you are now looking at? If you explain that your horse is coming and are still interested in their yard, but you are looking for a temporary solution. You never know, they may think a lot of that yard, or if not be able to recommend a few others in the area.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say that going to visit a yard before moving your horse was neurotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not visiting the yard does not mean you do not want what is best for your horses.

_jetset_

Visit site
I didn't say that... everyone has their own standards and ways of looking after their horses. Some of us are more picky about where we will keep them, others are more relaxed about this sort of thing. I don't personally think there is a right or wrong way to behave, but I also do not think it is 'neurotic' wanting to see the yard before your horse is kept there.

Like I said, it is an expensive hobby. If it was an F1 car I am sure the owner would want to make sure it was in a heated and secure garage. It's the same sort of thing for horses for me... I want to know that my two are somewhere safe, with good fencing and a suitable level of security. But that is me, I don't expect everyone to be like this, and I certainly don't think that people who are not do not want the best for their horse.

Everyone is different. If we were all the same, how boring would the world be?!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
How on earth do you think Exeter will be anywhere as nice as Shropshire!!?
frown.gif

Seriously, the suggestion that you send horse to the yard for the interin seems a sensible plan and one I would be happy to do myself. You will be down there very shortly so not a lot should happen that will not suit your horse in that time until you get there.
Just tell the yard owner that you would like a month's trial before you committ yourself to permenancy; that way, horse will have settled in and you will have got a general feel for the place and all the time you can keep an eye out for somewhere better if need be.

Good luck with the move!

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
I would say no....but my old YM Ria moved all the way from hampshire to newmarket and had to move her horse, and she heard a yard reccommended by her friend, saw its website and went there unseen and it was beautiful and friendly and perfect for her. Maybe she was just lucky though. Personally i wouldnt, but it takes me aaaaaaaaages to find the right yard as im v v picky!

Stella

Visit site
I really wouldn't like the idea, but in your situaton, I guess I'd have to! How long will it be before you can get down there?

Ignore me if you have already answered that, I haven't had time to read the whole thread
blush.gif

Tia

Visit site
I just collected 2 horses last week to come and board at my farm - their owner hadn't seen our place before we moved them.

I had numerous horses from Germany sent over to my yard in the UK and they never saw my stables.

When I imported Cloud to the US, she stayed in the quarantine stableyard for over a month - I never vetted it, but it was Cornell University so I did ask a lot of people what the stables were like but I never saw the place.

So in answer to your question; yes I would definitely send my horse to a livery yard unseen providing I knew a little about it. You are in a difficult predicament and you are going to have to send him somewhere until you are settled. Once you move, if you don't like the stables then just look for somewhere else.

4whitesocks

Visit site
Hmmmm....I would definitely at least try to get a reference or talk to someone local who may know the yard....I really really should have done that with the place I just moved out of, and ended up moving after less than two weeks...however that's not to say this yard isn't right - I knew form talking to my new YO on the phone that her yard was teh one for my boy, I did go and see it and it totally lived up to my expectations....

good luck!!