Would you take a horse to a show knowing full well they had no chance of placing?

Elsiecat

Visit site
I quite enjoy inhand showing but the pony I inhand show is now gone.
I have a welsh sec-A that hasn't ever been to a show and I want to make her into the perfect all round kids pony eventually.
She is cute, very very cute - but not something you'd go out and buy for inhand showing!
However I think for her to place there'd have to be very few of us in a class! (Saying that I've never seen her 'scrubbed up')
Would you take her anyway? Just for the experience and the day out etc?

SmallHunter

Visit site
Yes I would it is all good education and you would also know that she would be ok if a child ever wished to have a go at showing.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Yes of course I would, and I do :) Youngsters have to start somewhere and even if the pony isn't up to the calibre it will be great experience for it.

She's no spring chicken! We were told 17 but the vet reckons more 8/9 (he thinks we have wrong passport and has offered to sign for a new one) so we average it out at 13! :D

Meandtheboys

Visit site
Most definitely yes.............I take all babies( from a yearling ) including my 'upside' down ones to some unaffiliated shows just for the whole experience - I never think about going to win, a rosette is a bonus and I have been last many times!!
I even just take my newly broken 4yr olds just for experience and have even been known just to pop the 1st 3 jumps, trot around the ring and back out.

Mariposa

Visit site
Absolutely! I'm taking a couple of ponies to Windsor for the polo pony class, including a lovely mare who will never win as she turns a toe in slightly and has some very impressive scars - but it'll be such a great experience and day out ( IF she doesn't shy at everything....it will be her first time in a show ring...!)

Elsiecat

Visit site
I think I will then :) Will keep it local unless I go further afield with the other two and then showing her further away isn't a waste of petrol!
I'd love to show my Fox but she can be a strong cow from the ground when excited. I like the section A as she's small enough to have to agree with me :eek::D

Elsiecat

Visit site
What's a placing :confused:;)

I'm not sure.

(I cant get over this, sorry, but - I once got placed behind an arab in mountain and moorland. I also got asked BY THE JUDGE if my new forest was a section b, when I said "no shes new forest" she asked me where she was from.. there was no polite way of replying "the new forest..":rolleyes:)

blackandwhite

Visit site
We took our 8 year old (but developmentally about 4) yo cob to loads of different local shows last season purely for the experience. We were really surprised how well he did and how much he enjoyed all the different things. It did him the world of good and I want to do the same with our section a. Give it a go and as long as you enjoy it that's all that matters.

SmallHunter

Visit site
Just to add you would be amazed at how different they can look when scrubbed up for a show my own mare is a real sweetie but to look at just in her stable in the rough no one would say 'that's a show horse' but bathed, trimmed, plaited and in all her posh gear when she struts her stuff in the ring in it like a different horse altogether.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes.
Alongside the county std ponies I also used to have PC type ponies, all of them were taken to shows large & small to get out & about - and the county ponies were often ridden by my daughter at PC rallies as its good experience for them.

If its a bit worried, take your time. Dont enter more than 1 class - then if its horrid weather you can either dib out altogether, or at least know you are not in for a long day.

So yes its a good idea. If you want to be 'canny' ;) then pop the pony in a class that you would not usually do; if its a registered Welsh then put it in the condition & turnout - the pony doesn't know the difference does it? ;):D

Good luck & take pony to as much as you are able so it gets a good idea of what is to come :)

Lexie81

Visit site
Yes! I hope to take my mare to do a riding horse class this year even though she has a (flat) sarcoid on her chest and one by her ear! Purely for experience. Go for it!

Kelly Marks

Visit site
Yes. I think when showing you have to 'compete with yourself' i.e. you are the most important person to decide on how you've done - you'll know if you're improving or not and whether you feel proud of how you and your horse has done.

This has the added bonus of stopping a lot of upset over judges opinons - you don't take it personally - except when they like your horse best of course :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'll have to get some good clippers :D
Do you plat section-A's or not? I imagine not?

If doing M&M classes, then no 'proper' plaiting - and the mane should be natural, with the one plait behind the ear.
Google photos of registered section A's or look on the NPS website for info.
This link should help: http://www.theshowring.co.uk/welsha.php

However if doing other things, then you can (and ought to) plait but I really would not bother for the 1st outing or so :)

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
I'm not sure.

(I cant get over this, sorry, but - I once got placed behind an arab in mountain and moorland. I also got asked BY THE JUDGE if my new forest was a section b, when I said "no shes new forest" she asked me where she was from.. there was no polite way of replying "the new forest..":rolleyes:)

Haha brilliant! Yes - my Friesian was placed down as too big for a Dales pony (it was a local show for 15.2 and above :rolleyes::eek:)

yellowdun

Visit site
Yes, it will be fun. I have an American Bashkir Curly horse and plan on taking him into foreign breeds class just for fun. As he is very curly and sheds mane and tail I expect people will think he has cushings, so I can't see us getting placed. But like the others say, really good experience.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Elsiecat

Visit site
If doing M&M classes, then no 'proper' plaiting - and the mane should be natural, with the one plait behind the ear.
Google photos of registered section A's or look on the NPS website for info.
This link should help: http://www.theshowring.co.uk/welsha.php

However if doing other things, then you can (and ought to) plait but I really would not bother for the 1st outing or so :)

Hmm I'll have to think about what to enter. Probably do M&M the first outing then after that if we decide to do multiple classes I'll have to plait in the lorry :cool:

Mythical

Visit site
What about competing when you know YOU full well you have no chance of placing?
I don't do showing but we have been known to go to dressage for a nice day out. It's a lovely hack there, we get to get poshed up and we like the chips at the show ground. We probably look a right mess, from arriving dressed as a radioactive banana, to entering the ring doing our (not very convincing) impression of someone who looks smart. I don't expect to place, I've half considered not bothering to collect our score sheet, but Grace likes shows, I like dressing up, we both like exploring and we both like chips. Win win win win!