Would you take the money?

Would you take the money for new boots?

• Total voters

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Friend's dog ate my boots. I knew it was a chewer and left my boots in the room with the dog. Would you accept her offer of replacement boots?

IMG_20160605_180013_zps7a1pjmir.jpg.html

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/y...160605_180013_zps7a1pjmir.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Did a great job, didn't he :D ???

Equi

Visit site
Dogs! I'd probably not. You did leave them with him lol maybe just have hem buy you a drink to toast to the boots. Rip.

Shay

Visit site
It was right of her to offer but also right that you refuse as long as you can reasonably afford to do so. I like Equi's idea of toasting the boots.

WandaMare

Visit site
That's funny, he's had a great time with those :) As it was a friend I wouldn't take the money no, it was nice of her to offer though.

ycbm

Visit site
That's funny, he's had a great time with those :) As it was a friend I wouldn't take the money no, it was nice of her to offer though.

She's offered three times now. I don't feel happy accepting because I knew the dog's reputation. He's a bored border collie without enough sheep to work because they are in for lambing!

JulesRules

Visit site
Depends on the situation

How new were the boots? We're they expensive? Where was the room ie did you leave them lying around at her house to be chewed, or did she leave her dog in your tack room?

Maybe ask her to go halves depending on the situation?

molly7886

Visit site
She's offered three times now. I don't feel happy accepting because I knew the dog's reputation. He's a bored border collie without enough sheep to work because they are in for lambing!

It would a little bit depend whether she was in your room or you were in hers or if it was neutral ground (although this might not be logical to others!)
If she's offered a number of times I might be tempted to take a small contribution as it might make her feel better even though you knew he was a chewer.

chillipup

Visit site
If it were me, no definitely not. I would not accept a friend's offer to replace my boots, (however, it is an extremely kind offer for them to make) especially if I already knew the dog was a chewer and still left them in a room with said dog!? :eek: If I make a mistake, it's my mistake and I pay for it.

I make a point of telling all guests/friends visiting me, to remove any muddy boots and put them in the utility room and make sure the door is shut properly afterwards. This ensures my pup has absolutely no access to them, otherwise she will chew them.

Fiona

Visit site
I wouldn't take the money no...

Mind you, we are on the opposite side of this at the moment as my LO accidentally knocked something heavy down into a wash hand basin cracking the basin at a friend's house last night :(

Fiona

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why not say you don't feel she should offer you money but if she really wants to do something ask her to take you to dinner, then she will probably feel better, I know you don't want to accept anything but think of how she feels and meet her halfway..

Princess16

Visit site
Just tell her to buy you a drink some time!

Not her fault you shouldn't gave left them where you did .

Long shot but try taking em back to shop :D

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Nope, wouldn't take the money, not if I knew the dog chewed and it was my choice to leave m'boots in the wrong place.

D2 left her brand new expensive wallet on the table, close enough to the edge for my donkey GSD to reach it, so she did and gave it a good gnawing. D2 won't let me buy her a new one, just says she shouldn't have left it where she did as she knew donkey dog was still at chewy stage. It's now taped up with some rather snazzy space themed duct tape... I could send you some, then them there boots'll be right as rain for another few years :D

TelH

Visit site
I wouldn't accept the money because you knew the dog chewed and still left the boots there.

My Springer doesn't chew but is a bit of a kleptomaniac so there is a box with a lid in my porch to put boots etc in. I do tell anyone who comes but if they still choose to leave boots accessible there is a chance that she will b*gger off with one then drop it in the barn/the bushes/a random location known only to her, so it's not like they haven't been warned.

Last edited:

Greylegs

Visit site
No, I wouldn't take the money. You knew the dog was a chewer but left them there anyway, so you're partly culpable ... politely thank her for the offer, accept the best part of the responsibility and maybe let her buy you some chocolate/wine/whatever as a form of apology if pushed.

ycbm

Visit site
why not say you don't feel she should offer you money but if she really wants to do something ask her to take you to dinner, then she will probably feel better, I know you don't want to accept anything but think of how she feels and meet her halfway..

We went to a biomechanics conference the other day and I let her buy me breakfast sandwich £3, lunch pasta £4, pay me a fiver for diesel, and then when I was having a coffee last week I refused more 'diesel' money. I think she's done enough.

The dog's a problem, though, he's a year old, savages furniture and is now scattering and biting sheep when working them. He's on a last warning, he loses his balls soon if he doesn't improve!

My fault with the boots. As I left them there I thought 'is this a good idea?' and then went ahead and did it. Dohhhh. The amount of damage was a surprise though!

Molly'sMama

Visit site
i voted 'yes' but not because 'badly managed dog' I just wouldn't want her thinking/acting like she has to owe me something? I'd probably accept 50% of the money, and agree to share the blame. :p

windand rain

Visit site
It would depend if she would be offended if you dont. I sometimes help a friend out she likes to pay diesel money in return for help. I hate taking it but she insists she cannot ask again if she doesnt do something. I suppose boots might be a different matter but I wouldt try to keep the peace and try not to take it

Wheels

Visit site
I would take the money and then use it to take me and my friend out for the night - for a meal or something :)

applecart14

Visit site
Our YO puppy walks every year for the local hunt. She tells us when the puppy has arrived and forewarns us not to leave anything 'chewable' around. I ask that my horses bioflow boots are put safely away when they are taken off in the morning and in return ensure I don't leave anything myself lying around.

Its difficult to remember sometimes, even taking an exercise bandage off a leg and putting it on the floor for a second can result in a long stream of bandage running out the stable door, like the Andrew dog with the toilet roll! :)

Its nice to have a puppy around but when its not there for the other 8 months of the year its difficult to get back into the swing of leaving everything out of reach again :)

Your friend seems nice x

Annagain

Visit site
When I was 11 we got a new puppy. I was also a very messy kid (and now adult!) and always left stuff lying around. The first time he chewed my school shoes (because I'd left them lying around) mum replaced them. The second time (because I'd left them lying around again) she made me carry on wearing them (they were just about wearable) until I'd earned enough pocket money (by doing chores) to pay half. Luckily, the third time was at the start of the school holidays so I had enough time to save up before having to wear them again. You'd think I'd have learned. Mum was furious!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Over the years we have had more footwear chewed by dogs than I can remember! The current dogs dont tend to chew, but do have a nasty habit of taking shoes and boots out into the yard, it can make life a bit difficult, when your slipper has gone out to play and you have just taken your boot off! :D I would not accept the money for the boots, even if she kept trying to pay me. :)

Merrymoles

Visit site
Bored border collie puppies are the worst for chewing! Hopefully he will get a bit more stimulation soon - they need to work/think/run. I currently have a 12-year-old working-bred collie who was my mum's - she ate my mum's best boots and a handbag when she was a pup.

It's a tricky one but I wouldn't generally accept money after something like that and voted "no" - I am sure she feels bad about it but you did know it was a chewer!

ETA - oh, and one of our own border collie pups ate our bedroom carpet the first time we left her and then did the same to my mum's kitchen carpet a few weeks later. Both dogs grew up to be lovely, obedient, non-chewers but they do go through a phase...

ycbm

Visit site
Dog has redeemed himself and may yet get to keep his jewels :)

Whilst still far too boisterous to work sheep off the long lead, it's been discovered that he will face down the rams, and their current dog and some previous dogs couldn't do that. He has enough presence to move them without even getting up close. There's hope for the delinquent yet :D

Clodagh

Visit site
I would let her buy you a drink. It can be awkward if people won't take your money when you want to part with it. A bottle of wine would be sufficient apology I am sure.
How long did it take him? He did a proper job, that's for sure!