Would you take the offer (hay)

miss_bird

Visit site
Local man has 26 acres which he needs to cut.

Now the hiccup, there are about 100 or so ragwort plants on the land so he has offered that if i go pull up all the ragwort and put in a pile for him to burn he will cut and and bale all the land and i can have all the hay for free.

I have walked the land and the patches of ragwort do seem to be localised in patches.

So would you risk having all the hay incase you have missed a bit. or do you let him cut 26 acres of hay and drag it into a piles and burn it bit by bit, knowing there will be a hay shortage this year

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You'd get a lot of hay from that acreage. How much do you need? If not you could do less of it and have that perhaps? It would take quite a lot of work to weed 26 acres well... However it would be great to get your hay for free - and its a nice offer.

loz9

Visit site
i think i would be biting his hand off for it!!
we have just baled 360 off 8acres, down 50% on last years. On the hunt for more at the moment but it either costs a fortune, bad quality or noone is selling.
as said above if you dont need it all you could sell some, seems such a waste for him to burn it!

miss_bird

Visit site
I have 20 horses and they are fed ad lib out in the field.
So i am thinking the more i can clear the more i dont have to worry over hay in the winter, and then can always help friends if they get stuck.
hard work dont bother me, and then i know it is being done properly, and as it will be small bales can shake them out and have a nosey through as i pop out in the field.
I just cant bare the thought of seeing all that hay being cut and burnt

Dubsie

Visit site
If you're near me can I be cheeky and trade a few hours ragwort pulling for some bales? Neighbour isn't cutting his (grrr) so can't buy any there, and over the road where we usually pick up a few bales has not enough grass to cut! It's about 2-3 acres and one side was riddled with ragwort (even though we sprayed!) and it took me about 3 hours (in full sunshine) to pull.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Make sure you get this in writing. All that work, and then the farmer either doesn't cut it at all, or sells the hay to someone else!

Sorry for being negative, but this sort of thing has happened to friends before on many an occasion!

miss_bird

Visit site
He is not a farmer, he brought the land to have his own bit of paradise and build a little house, so hence he cant sell the hay as planning is still all being sorted so he cannot have any type of business on the land.
Last year he cut and burnt the lot as did not know what to do with it all.
Dubsie i am kind of near you, but would depend on how many bales you wanted as obviously i have to make sure i have enought for my tribe and you would have to move them yourself
Cliqmo sorry no where near you