Would you them ask to leave?

ImmyS

Visit site
Going to try to keep this brief -

Small DIY livery yard (5 liveries) all horses happy hackers/veterans or small ponies for children. All easy, liveries keep themselves to themselves, well behaved horses, no problems.

One livery has large rising 2 year old which was turned out with my cob all over the summer. In autumn they asked to have individual turnout which meant splitting field in half which they aren’t really big enough to do without getting trashed, but did anyway to keep peace as we hadn’t had any problems up until then. Last few months 2 year olds side of field is completely trashed compared to all others as fields are well draining here. Livery attends everyday but have noticed rugs being left on for weeks at a time, only handle the horse once maybe twice a week, just to bring in give feed in stable then put out. I had to bring horse in this morning as under rug ripped and tangled around legs, horse dangerous to bring in, barging, rearing, throwing itself on the floor to bring in and put out. I just don’t think this set up is appropriate for such a young horse. She was bette in summer when turned out in company but they don’t want to do this. Would you suggest they find more appropriate livery?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would never have a youngster on it's own.

Yes, I'd be giving her notice as your facilities clearly are not suitable for a 2 yr old, who ought to be out with others of similar age and definitely not on her own.
Good luck, but best be honest

be positive

Visit site
I think horse needs to find a more suitable owner, that doesn't help your situation but it sounds as if they have taken on something they are not equipped to deal with and the poor horse is getting a raw deal, as a YO myself I would be insisting something was changed to allow the horse to have a better life whether that means staying in a pair/ group and having more attention or leaving.

SpringArising

Visit site
No I wouldn't. How do you know the rug is left on for weeks on end? Maybe she goes up and takes it off/gives a scratch etc. when you're not there. You can't ask someone to leave because they keep their horses in a different way to how you would - that is unreasonable, unless there is a genuine welfare issue. I think you need just a friendly chat with her to gather factual info before you assume.

A horse being a bit of a twit to bring in is also not a good enough reason to ask someone to leave. Is it your yard?

ImmyS

Visit site
I have suggested that our yard no longer meets their needs and perhaps a yard with either better facilities or herd turnout would be more suited. My partner runs the farm, the yard largely runs itself and I just deal with livery enquiries, such as hay/fencing/repairs needed etc. So not really been in this position before.

SpringArising

Visit site
A genuine question: you say she comes every day to see the horse, to give food etc. and then puts it back out. What else do you think she should be doing with a two year old in the pits of winter?

The only thing I have an issue with is the horse being kept alone. I would have a friendly chat with her about it and say unfortunately as the field is being trashed you'll need to open it up and have him back in with your horse. If she has a problem with that then the onus to leave is on her. Win win.

ImmyS

Visit site
No I wouldn't. How do you know the rug is left on for weeks on end? Maybe she goes up and takes it off/gives a scratch etc. when you're not there. You can't ask someone to leave because they keep their horses in a different way to how you would - that is unreasonable, unless there is a genuine welfare issue. I think you need just a friendly chat with her to gather factual info before you assume.

A horse being a bit of a twit to bring in is also not a good enough reason to ask someone to leave. Is it your yard?

A genuine question: you say she comes every day to see the horse, to give food etc. and then puts it back out. What else do you think she should be doing with a two year old in the pits of winter?

The only thing I have an issue with is the horse being kept alone. I would have a friendly chat with her about it and say unfortunately as the field is being trashed you'll need to open it up and have him back in with your horse. If she has a problem with that then the onus to leave is on her. Win win.

I don’t want to disclose a lot of information, as always there is more to a story. My main concern is the horse on it’s own and field getting trashed.
Opening field back up is what I plan to suggest, but if they do not want to do this I was just curious if this is grounds for someone to find new livery.

SpringArising

Visit site
I don’t want to disclose a lot of information, as always there is more to a story. My main concern is the horse on it’s own and field getting trashed.
Opening field back up is what I plan to suggest, but if they do not want to do this I was just curious if this is grounds for someone to find new livery.

If it's your own land then I think there's grounds - if you just sort of loosely manage the yard then I think no. However if you asked them to leave as you have suddenly decided you no longer want individual T/O I think a longer notice period would be courteous :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would think being turned out on its own is having a negative effect it's just not fair for such a young horse to be on its own, it's no wonder it's not very well behaved, I would talk to her about this and point out the state of the field, and if they are not willing to do something about it tell them it's best they leave, if there other reasons you want them out it's your yard your within your rights to just say it's not working out and give them notice.

MissTyc

Visit site
In a similar situation, I did give very polite notice to my livery. I explained that I was concerned that "we" wouldn't be able to grow her youngster into the horse she really wanted and I reocmmended a yard with better facilities and expertise on site. She was actually very grateful. It was a good conversation, and she left soon after. She now has a new hacking horse on my yard, but still has her youngster somewhere else being grown up and educated by people who do just that all day long.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
You can't ask someone to leave because they keep their horses in a different way to how you would - that is unreasonable, unless there is a genuine welfare issue.

IMO you absolutely can ask someone to leave because they keep their horses in an extremely different way to how you would, if it is your yard. That is how you get a happy and harmonious yard which you are comfortable being on. Unless it is a completely hands-off purely DIY "rent-a-stable" yard or a fully commercial venture with a paid full-time YM which is obviously different.

I think you need to have a polite conversation with the livery and explain that it isn't working out and you feel she really needs to move her horse to facilities more suitable for a youngster. It sounds like you, the horse and the owner would probably be happier if it were on youngstock / full grass livery somewhere and if she is only really handling it once or twice a week (which is understandable with a 2 year old) then location is less vital. You can obviously offer a longer notice period etc. Hopefully you can both agree it would be best, but if not in the end it is your decision.

Darlabean

Visit site
Horses do trash fields in winter, fields recover. She’s coming up every day. If they’re not big enough to divide in two, or you are worrying about one winter trashed field, it suggests over stocking to me or that you just don’t like her. If the horse is bargy to lead why should that matter to you as it’s not your horse? If the underrug was around the horses knees why didn’t you just inform the owner rather than step in yourself? Liverying horses is problematic and not easy, such is its nature. Is the horse sandwiched between two horses or up out the way on its own and anxious, while you take your horse out? Might be a change of field is the answer.

DD

Visit site
I wouldn't ask them to leave-yet. I'd just insist some ground rules were obeyed, rugs removed and horse checked daily for example and anything else you want to see done. if they don't comply then i'd ask them to go.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If its your yard, you don’t need their livery money (and or they are easy to replace ) and they are causing your life to be harder, then why would you not get rid of them? There is no law that says you have to keep anyone. Give notice and make your life simpler

SpringArising

Visit site
If its your yard, you don’t need their livery money (and or they are easy to replace ) and they are causing your life to be harder, then why would you not get rid of them? There is no law that says you have to keep anyone. Give notice and make your life simpler

Because the OP hasn't said she's even spoken to them about the issues yet and that is unreasonable.

Also, there are two peoples' feelings involved here, not just OP's as your post indicates!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Because the OP hasn't said she's even spoken to them about the issues yet and that is unreasonable.

Also, there are two peoples' feelings involved here, not just OP's as your post indicates!
That may be true but in this situation the op holds all the cards ... if it’s not working for them then they don’t have to put up with it - whatever the reason. I agree it’s tough on the other party but sometimes you need to do what’s right for you...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Actually, the only feelings that actually have to be considered are OP's - and the horse's. The set-up doesn't sound suitable for a 2 yr old to me and if the yard were mine, I would say so.
I guess the horse was difficult to lead because the rug was wrapped round its legs but I don't really understand why a 2 yr old is regularly wearing a rug. Yes, it needs to learn to wear one and practise that occasionally but it shouldn't need one all the time.