Would you use/have you ever used a stallion with a sarcoid?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
As title.
And out of interest, would a stally with a sarcoid still be eligible for licensing? I'm know of one, is all and am curious as to whether sarcoids have been proven (or not) to be hereditary.

Depends where you are. Horse Sport Ireland has decreed that sarcoids are a veterinary 'fail' for both stallions and mares (nothing to stop you getting them removed and presenting them when clear!) That ruling now applies to Irish Draughts inspected/graded in the UK as IDHS(GB) is 'ruled' by HSI where gradings are concerned.

It's a bit silly! Yes, there IS a 'genetic link' - but research suggests that more than 60% of all horses in the WORLD have a susceptibility to sarcoids if the environmental factors are 'right' (and you're unlucky!)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Depends where you are. Horse Sport Ireland has decreed that sarcoids are a veterinary 'fail' for both stallions and mares (nothing to stop you getting them removed and presenting them when clear!) That ruling now applies to Irish Draughts inspected/graded in the UK as IDHS(GB) is 'ruled' by HSI where gradings are concerned.

It's a bit silly! Yes, there IS a 'genetic link' - but research suggests that more than 60% of all horses in the WORLD have a susceptibility to sarcoids if the environmental factors are 'right' (and you're unlucky!)

Hi Janet :) Thanks for the reply. This is a stallion I've seen in Argentina. He IS licensed, but TBH that doesn't mean an awful lot over here!! I've heard of sarcoids possibly being spread by flies, but would you happen to know what other environmental factors might contribute? PF used to have something I thought might be a sarcoid next to her udder. Fact that it exploded and popped off suggests perhaps it wasn't? I also had another mare who developed a sarcoid in the corner of her eye and I got rid of it with Camrosa (when Camrosa still advertised as good for sarcoids) As they were both in the same place, same time, you've just got me thinking :) Sorry for all the questions :)

bobajob

Visit site
DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought one from there and had to have it pts on Tuesday. It was full of them when it arrived (something they failed to mention) Stay well clear you are just buying trouble. Please do not take this the wrong way.

Eothain

Visit site
Why bother? There's so many horses out there without sarcoids. Why put your hand out for hassle. Hats off to HSI for making it a straight fail. Their heads are well screwed on! It's a straight fail in my book too.