Would you use this?

noodle_

Visit site
Saddle cost almost £1000.... sat unused at the moment so plopped in onto youngster a few weeks ago... almost fits. babypony still too young yet to work ridden wise....

would you use said saddle for breaking? as im thinking £2-300 for a breaking saddle would be a waste as it fits *but* saddle has sentimental value so im scared of it getting wrecked.....??

Do i suck it up and buy a breaking saddle (2-300£) or just use the one that actually fits (or will do properly when i get my saddler out/flock it)

im having a flap!!! and thinking i could do with saving that £300 or so tbh!! :confused::confused: but dont want almost £1k getting wrecked :confused:

thanks.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
TBH, in all my years of working with/being around horses, I have never seen or heard of a youngster that wrecked a saddle when being broken in, despite it being more common to use older saddles!

Obviously the better a saddle fits, and the more comfortable the horse is, the easier the breaking process will be. Even though its often not, it should be the most important time to have a saddle fitted!

noodle_

Visit site
thanks - this is my issue - shes100% wearing the saddle - she used to roll with the roller on but after two times of it she was fine and stopped doing it....

the saddle was 2 years of saving and it belonged to my beautiful mare....so thats why its sentimental - but it just seemed stupid it being sat thre anyhow and it does (almost) fit her like i said....

its a saddle i plan to use for her once she is competing etc too.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I would hope your saddle stand no chance of being wrecked :eek:

I have started a few youngsters and they have happily accepted a saddle after a roller and I have never yet had a saddle damaged :)

Are you thinking your youngster may go over onto it? or are you just being especially cautious due to the sentimental value?

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I agree with Honey. Yes I would use it. I have never experienced a youngster damaging a saddle. Best to have one that is comfortable and fits well for breaking. This would be my number one priority.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If she's working sensibly and hasn't objected when you've plopped it on her I'd use it. With almost all horses I'd not be worried about using it, only if you get the sort of one that objects violently to things and throws itself around and hopefully she isn't that type. :D

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I'd use the best saddle for the horse after all, that's why you invested all that money.
Just make sure that the baby can't knock off the rack or have a chew on it after you've untacked, otherwise, your saddle will be fine.

My mother had a beautiful dining table, she loved it and polished it often. However, when we children did our homework at the table, we'd sometimes forget to put a pad under the paper and consequently, the table had impressions of where we'd written.
I asked her if she minded the scratches and marks and she replied, 'no, because when I look at the table it reminds me of you children and the table has a living history of family life and it's usefulness.'

Your saddle reminds me of that table.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks guys - im being OVER cautios i know!!!

this youngster is the same one that t**ted me in the ribs last year.... (remeber that thread)!?

yes i still have her and shes literally briliant compared to what she was.......!

i am long reining her now, lunging in walk occasionally but rather not due to joints - have had a roller on her/bridle/tack (this saddle)!....and walked with it on etc...

and then this morning i made her stand at the mounting block and i had my first lean over her :) she didnt move a muscle :)

i plan to break her in bareback anyhow... easier to slide off...and just long rein her to death :D hacking/poles/bombproofing etc so she's super confident under saddle :)

catkin

Visit site
If it fits the youngster well then use it - if their first saddle fits well then they don't usually have a problem.

They are more likely to want to sniff it and examine it than smash it to bits so you may get the odd tooth scrape across the skirt (one of my youngsters did this but the mark wasn't too bad and after a bit of tlc was hardly noticeable - but then an older horse has done the same.......)

noodle_

Visit site
i honestly hope im doing it right...i keep throwing questions at her which shes fine with and just is like "next..."....

she will follow me round like a dog.... walk over poles (note please i do not jump until they are 4 + ) before i get lynched lol!.... worn saddle/roller/bit/reins/ had bags of shavings opened next to her and then put on her... (bag minus shavings...)....girth on etc with roller and saddle... not a flinch...walked around with it all on - except saddle...long reins lovely... except for the odd skiing -on - sand - which is just excitable baby pony....! so she gets a quick "heyhey" which is my term to her of you went too far lady... as shouting at her just winds us both up... so i have a quick swear at her ina nice tone and off we go...

thats all been done over the past 4 months (2 month break inbetween when i turned her away)....

so leaning over her wasnt an issue... i long rein once/twice max a week for 5-10 mins and end on a good note. she will walk/trot and halt.

so if anyone has any tips i welcome them - as ive never done this before....!!!! had 4 year old green horses/exra cers etc but breaking in a baby from scratch and one that was bloody wild is a new one on me!!!

maxine1985

Visit site
Only thing i would say is i've seen saddles marked and scuffed when first backing by leaning over saddles and coat zips etc scratching saddle, easily solved by seat saver or saddle cover. Had a friend who was gutted her saddle had a nice 2 inch mark from toggle on her coat as she slid down after leaning over her baby horse! Just something to bear in mind if you want to be ultra careful!

Good luck, sounds like she's going to be very easy :)

noodle_

Visit site
thanks - ohh dont say that haha!! although i really hope so.... shes been very tolerant so far... the only no ive found is the hose... but treats are helping her to realise its a positive thing :) so as long as i have treats i can bath her :)

i will invest in a good seat saver - brilliant idea thank you!...a lot cheaper than a new sadddle!!! :)

moana

Visit site
A 'breaking' saddle, as you call it, should be fitted properly. The very first saddle you fit must be comfortable as a bad fit could cause pain and this may cause lifelong or long term problems. Who cares what it cost??

Spring Feather

Visit site
I have to say I've never used a 'breaking saddle' either. I use whichever saddle fits the youngster best and I only have nice saddles to pick from. I also first start them bareback after they are used to wearing a saddle. None of my youngsters have damaged any of my saddles but I do keep them out of nibbling range.