Would you?

Tia

Visit site
We have a 2 year old Arab boarding at our yard and the owner has asked me if I would mind if my 10 year old daughter would be willing to compete their horse at the Royal Horse Show next year. This is a very prestigious event here in Toronto (similar to your HOYS) and would undoubtedly give the horse and rider a fair amount of cache, particularly if they were to win.

My daughter has the ride on this horse at the moment. She is helping to back her and has already been riding her out quietly. She seems to be the one who truly bonds with the horse and they are lovely to watch - they're so perfectly in harmony.

I've always steered away from taking her to things like this; I love that she enjoys riding for the thrill of it and not for the winnings. Am I being selfish? Should I allow her to compete there? Of course I am proud that her skills have been noticed and I think that the dedication she will have to show, will be good experience for her. I just don't like all the pomp that goes with it.

I took a picture of them a few days ago.

213652548.jpg

Irishcobs

Visit site
Depends really. Will your daughter then want to do more shows and turn in to the 'must win at all cost' type or will she be pleased to have the chance to compete and be happy to get a rosette at the end of the day?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
If it is anything like our HOYS, then I am not entirely sure a 3 year old arab would cope well with the atmosphere. Having said that, your daughter looks good on him, and he seems very mature for a baby. I think that it would be the atmosphere that would make me think twice. Presumably they would have to qualify, so I assume that she would be riding him in these classes?

ps - I LOVE her boots!

Zebedee

Visit site
Brave post Tia!! Stand by for all the 'OMG you've encouraged the riding of a two year old, OMG' replies!!!

Seriously I think that's a lovely picture, & it sounds like a wonderful experience for your daughter. So what if she starts to enjoy competing? So long as you're around to ensure she keeps both feet on the ground (& I'm sure you'll do that ok!) I can't see it doing any harm at all.
Wish her luck from me!!!

Not directed at FMM -she posted whilst I was typing!!!

If your daughter wants to go then I would let her - she looks old enough to choose and surely by sticking with riding to her age proves that she does do it for the thrill of riding in it's own right.
I have competed most of my life and the buzz of galloping around the arena with a sash around the horses neck and everybody clapping is amazing. It does not replace the thrill of riding it just adds even more to it (if that makes sense!!)

As the massive shows (nationals/hoys types) only happen a couple of times a year people must be pretty obsessed with sashes if they ride every day all year for these couple of days!!!!!

spaniel

Visit site
Knowing your daughter a little, and knowing a little how she has been brought up, I would say that she is a sensible and level headed child and I would be surprised if either the pressure got to her or she turned into a showing brat.

Im sure she would love it for the experience that it is. If she does well thats fabulous, if it all goes a bit wibbly then thats ok too.

Experience broadens the mind, there is nothing like having a go.

Tia

Visit site
She is a level-headed little girl and I know she was totally bouncing off the walls when I told her she had been asked to do this. The thing is she can become very competitive at times; I don't think there is anything wrong with this per se but sometimes I don't like it as she can become awfully opinionated (no idea whom she gets that from
blush.gif
grin.gif
).

I wasn't sure whether to post this, but I had some mixed feelings about it but I couldn't really put my finger on why I was hesitating......your answers have helped me figure it out; I believe it is down to me being a lazy sod.
confused.gif
It will mean I have to trailer her all about the place and I don't know whether I want to. I'd rather just pop down to the local show IF I feel like it on the day.

For those who are confused about the age - it is pretty normal for horses who are very young, lots are younger than this horse, to be shown under saddle here. She isn't my horse, so not my decision.

PS. Her boots are pretty cool aren't they. Very well worn and she's only had them since her birthday in August.

Patches

Visit site
From the little "chats" we've had since I've joined the forum, I firmly believe that Megan would be of the persuassion that showing is about the taking part and educating the ponio. Rosettes would be an added bonus, but not the be all and end all.

She's wise enough to totally understand and believe in that concept.

Might I also add, that her legs are now almost as long as yours! What a lovely picture they make together.

Tia

Visit site
She's 5' 1" already! And she wears the same size shoe as me
shocked.gif

I think she might end up being even taller than me......now that wouldn't be good, LOL! She already bosses me around.
crazy.gif

Patches

Visit site
I can't believe how quickly she's grown up. I've not even been a member on the forum for two years and yet she's gone from a girl into a young lady in that time.

Not only are those legs long...they're slender too! I'm not in the least bit envious...can you tell?
wink.gif

I think she'll enjoy the showing myself. Recognition for her obvious skills and natural talent will be a fabulous form of flattery.

pagancluf

Visit site
From al I have heard she has a wise head on her shoulders (from mum??) so let her do her own thing - if she wants to do it - go for it! (and wish her good luck from the UK)..

xXxTraversxXx

Visit site
Sounds like a fantastic opportunity!!
grin.gif
I'd say see how they get on together and have the show as their goal. Also, I have to agree, what lovely boots!!! Is there any chance that you know what make they are???
crazy.gif
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
Yes, TBH I would be very annoyed with my parents if they refused to take me to shows...(me=spoilt brat but anyhoo..)
I think you have to be fair!

clipclop

Visit site
It'll be fine.

I was never allowed to compete much as a child and I am actually grateful.

When I did compete if I showed any signs of bratty behaviour I was severely told off!
Again, I am grateful. I had it rammed in to me that shows were for fun only!

Although I ilke to compete myself, I don't get hung up on it as it isn't that important. I only do it for fun and for the social occasion.

I can't see much point in people getting all up themselves when competing. How is that fun?

I am sure your daughter will appreciate it soooo much and you will keep her level headed.

If she wants it, let her have this opportunity.
laugh.gif

Tia

Visit site
You're right. I should really make the effort. It will be mammoth though as I have 20-odd horses who rely on me and the trips backwards and forwards will take 5 hours round trip. Phew what an upheaval.....I think I am putting myself off it again.
frown.gif

WeeBrown

Visit site
I don't 'know' your daughter at all but you seem to know what you're talking about from the posts on here and if that's the case then I'm sure she'll be as level headed.
If I were good enough to compete I'd love the chance so I'd let her have the chance too.
As for you, I'm sure the effort will be worth it - her pleasure will be yours too after thehard works over.

Tia

Visit site
It really won't - god I sound awful here - but I hate places like that. I don't even go there to watch....too many people.
crazy.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Ooooh blimey, that really is putting yourself out.
crazy.gif

I can now understand your reservations.
wink.gif

OK, Look at it another way.

Is this something so wonderful that she will look back on it for the rest of her life with great fondness?

I think your daughter is going to have to guide you to your final decision.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is this something so wonderful that she will look back on it for the rest of her life with great fondness?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a perfect way of putting it. Right you have totally convinced me. Thank you very much for helping me "see the light"
smile.gif
.........but I'm only doing this once, LOL!

clipclop

Visit site
I don't blame you
wink.gif

Thing is, if she gets a taste for it, she can go for it when she is an adult. In the meantime she can practice being an even more effective rider at home.
smile.gif

Night night xx

harvgj19

Visit site
I think it would be a fantastic opportunity for her, and I'm sure a level-headed mum like you will keep her feet on the ground and sensible.

By the way, she has a fabulous position!

magicgirl

Visit site
Sorry it is WRONG, the horse is to young and that the fact that it is common place over there to show them at the age doesn't make it right. The message you are sending your daughter if you let her ride is that getting to a prestigious show is much more important than the welfare of the horse in question.