Would you?

BMWKIPP

Visit site
Put a 17.2hh through box rest for a torn tendon for the second time at the age of 26? He also has arthritis in his hocks and is not a nice character. Same tendon as before has another hole in it, and the last time he had 15 months box rest. (Not my horse)

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Personally no. Although some people would, I wouldn't think it was fair to horse at that age with other issues which will be worsened by box rest.

ihatework

Visit site
Never.

If the horse was not hopping and discomfort could be managed I may consider keeping the horse in field, otherwise I’d PTS

BMWKIPP

Visit site
My thoughts entirely, the women who owns him is a total moron, self obsessed, doesn't listen to what the vet advised and thinks she knows best. He was a lovely horse in his youth when a Pro was riding him, now he's so miserable and aggressive towards everyone 😔

BMWKIPP

Visit site
She drives me mad, she thinks she is the most important on the yard and gets on everyone's nerves. I have to walk away and have nothing to do with her. It really makes me sad

chocolategirl

Visit site
Put a 17.2hh through box rest for a torn tendon for the second time at the age of 26? He also has arthritis in his hocks and is not a nice character. Same tendon as before has another hole in it, and the last time he had 15 months box rest. (Not my horse)
No I wouldn’t sorry 😔

Hollychops

Visit site
Its immaterial what we all would do or not do if the horse belongs to someone else who wont take the vets advice. Personally though, i wouldn't put any of mine through that if i didn't think it was the right thing for them. Let the poor animal go in peace, he sounds like he's had enough!

Annagain

Visit site
No - a friend put her total gentleman of a 23 year old retired horse through 6 months of box rest and 6 months of turnout on his own in a small paddock for a tendon injury. He coped mentally as he was such a lovely horse but the box rest made his arthritis (the reason for his retirement) worse and the small paddock was over the winter so he got mud fever. She spent hours every day nursing him, she was so dedicated. He eventually made it back into the field with his buddies and he did have a lovely two months but she then lost him to colic. All that isolation (other than my horse, his best bud, visiting for a groom over the door for 10 minutes each day) aggravating other problems and hard work and heartache for effectively an extra two months.

Mine is 23 and I've already decided he won't do box rest for more than 2 weeks.

AandK

Visit site
Nope, especially one with arthritis. My 22yo put a nice hole in his sesamoidian ligament in March, he is an angel on boxrest but I would not put him through any long period in at his age. He was just about sound enough for me and vet to be happy to retire him to the field. He had a few blips in the first couple of months, but a few days of bute sorted them and it now seems to have settled and he is sound when trotting in the field.