Wound breaking down!?!

lensmith7

Visit site
Agggrhhh! What next?

Went up to do Josie this morning, took off her stable bandage and some of her operation scar has broken down
crazy.gif

The top of it is lovel, neat and just a tiny tiny scar. The bottom is coming away, and now looks like a hole!

I called the vet, who gave me anti b's and said he'll see me thurs for her first scan anyway.

Is this common to happen after surgery? Is there anything I can do to help it heal better/quicker?

Thankies x

_jetset_

Visit site
You could try some Manuka honey on it... someone I know did this when their PSD scar started to break down like yours.

It could be that she is having a reaction to the internal stitches (the cause of the above horse's they thought...) but he was absolutely fine long term. It just took longer to get him completely right.

Are you still walking her out? I can't remember whether they were told to go back on complete box rest or not until it started to heal better.

lensmith7

Visit site
yes we're still walking. He told me to walk til thurs when he'll reasses again.

i'll try both the suggestions. thanks

BeckyD

Visit site
Ronnie's PSD wounds have totally broken down - the right one particularly so. The left is doing ok and might survive relatively intact. I don't know why it's happened but can post some pics tonight hopefully. The staples have been pushed out so it's just going to heal from the inside out. He hasn't started walking yet though - staples were due to come out end of this week but no such luck now. he's still in full bandages, being changed daily by the vet (hopefully now every 2 days). it's discharging a large amount of gunk, but has been swabbed and doesn't have anything nasty like MRSA, just the usual bacterial environment contaminants that seem to crreep down the bandage - god knows how he gets shavings down there.

Sorry to hear you're going through the same
frown.gif
Gutted huh? I am.

lensmith7

Visit site
Oh bugger! ((((((Hugs for you))))))

Josie seems slightly better today, but it's sore and swollen. Bloomin horses! the top of her wound looks amazing, I just dont undersatnd
frown.gif

Hope your boy heals soon x

Peacelily

Visit site
second the Manuka Honey - its what all the research bods are raving about for clearing up wounds.

Sounds like the bottom just doesn't want to heal up at the moment as it might have got a bit of dirt underneath it or still a tiny bit of infection, I've seen wounds like this which just slough off and the best thing thats been done has been to take off all of the flesh/skin thats coming off and that doens't look like it's taken, thoroughly clean it up and let it start healing again. Don't be too worried horses are pretty resilient to these things - i've seen horses recover completely with no scars when their scapula has been visible (and the mare was in foal!).

walkings good as it gets the blood flowing and encourages the healing process, ideally it isnt' on a joint? as walking disrupts the surface every day if over the front of the knee or
somewhere similar.

oo whats the gel stuff that comes in a mushroom shape? can't remember (someone remind me!) but thats excellent for wounds, especially if you're bandaging over it

hope the vet says positive things!!

Tnavas

Visit site
Slather it with Active Manuka Honey - the injury below to a friends horse was the result of crashing with a gate post - it went form the first pic via being stitched and the stitches breaking down to the second picture in about 5 weeks
Tracheostomy_003web.jpg
100_0431web.jpg