Wound in nose -

EmbarrassingEllie

Visit site
My horse has a wound in her nose which on occassions has bled, she was referred to the vet school as my vet didn't like the fact that it wasn't healing and also that it may be a tumor. They did a biopsy and were erring on the side of it being a tumour as it would be rare for it to be a trauma wound and it didn't appear to be funghal. The results came back inconclusive as though the cells were slightly inflamed they werent enough to be pre cancerous I was to keep an eye on her as they now thought that it could possibly be a trauma wound and it would heal by itself. In four weeks she hasn't had a nose bleed and when I have checked the wound it did seem to be healing, I had started to feed her hay from the floor as at the time of the bleeds it had mainly happened in the stable, once when out when the flies were bad and never when being ridden (and she was in hard work at the time) but of course today her nose has started bleeding again and the previous 2 nights I had put her hay in the haynet. Has anyone ever come across this before!!!!!????? I spoke to my vet who said that they would refer her again.

Thanks for reading and sorry its so long.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
A horses natural feeding position is on the ground, it gives all the crap/dust a chance to drain out (normal day to day stuff). Thats one of the reason why hay nets are a dangerous, time consuming, waste of money.
I dont quite understand where the wound is? Can you explain it a bit more? Can you actually see it from the outside?
With starting to bleed again when you started on haynets, I would expect the bleed to be more dust/breathing/sinus related. Have the vets scoped to check for these?

EmbarrassingEllie

Visit site
Hiya, its just inside the nasal cavity you can see it quite easily by enlarging her nostril and its about the size of a 10p. She was fully scoped at the vet school and there was no other issues, they didn't suggest that it could be a management issue at all. I agree with you about haynets and have learned my lesson!