wow or sue carson

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
im now thinking after riding in a wow twice and still trying it out to look into the sue carson saddles as well someone has said they are very good. The wow is nice, moves a bit on him but then the demo one has the wrong girth straps for my boy. any comments gratefully received, i think the sue carson saddles are very expensive for what they are,

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I too thought the Sue carson saddles were expensive until I saw the difference in our horse wearing one.
That soft flair air system is second to none (we had flair before in a bates and loathed it) and the fitting that goes into a SC saddle is incredible.
My husband sat in CCJ's and liked hers so much he bought one for himself off ebay, they can be adjusted to fit any horse (big adjustment would be a different tree for a couple of hundred pounds if a second hand one), minor adjustment is £50 including the proper fitting.
I don't know a thing about wow saddles, but I do know Monty is a different horse in his saddle, and although I wouldn't pay the new price for one, if you hunt around you can get a very good one for between £575 (ebay) and £1200.
There is one on ebay at the moment which has been on three times I think, she may just accept an offer.
Go and ride your horse in one to see what they are like, you will be converted I bet!

Rizz1a

Visit site
Sue Carson every time. The fitting is fantastic. Ride your horse in a normal saddle, then a sue carson once it's been fitted and you won't belive the change

steffielu

Visit site
does the sue carson saddle have Flair air flocking? if so how can they be better/different from a wow?
confused.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I didn't say different to a Wow, but to the Bates we had. The flair system in the Bates was always pretty hard, the Sue Carson method is soft so very comfortable for the horse.
The saddle CCJ uses is a single flap and so very close contact with the horse, this too helps rider and horse.
I would say to anyone try one, it may not be for you, but we were genuinely surprised at how much the horse liked the feel of it, you couldn't tell him it was a different saddle, he just relaxed and worked 50% better..

ann-jen

Visit site
I think Bates saddles use a Cair system which is very different to Flair. Cair saddles have one airbag in each side that cannot be adjusted. Flair saddles have two bags in each side which can be adjusted to suit the horse and so are much more flexible in terms of fit and comfort for the horse. I have a WOW saddle (with Flair in the panel) and would never go back to a conventionally flocked saddle again. However I've not heard good reports about Cair and assume that if pressure is applied to one area of a single airbag, air will move to areas of least resistance and so I assume there is actually going to be less air/padding under the rider himself and surely this is the opposite to what you would want. I think it would also explain why the panel felt hard on your Bates saddle.
Getting back to the original question though- I love my WOW saddle and would highly recommend them. Like someone else mentioned - try both and see which is best for you and your horse. I found an amazing difference for my horse with the WOW.

SillyMare

Visit site
Sue Carson saddles are wonderful!!

WOW must be something of an acquired taste - I didn't like them at all (very odd to ride in) but I know some people swear by them.