Wow saddle for kissing spine horse?

kezimac

Visit site
Horse just been diagnosed with 8 impinging spinal processes - getting new saddle anyway - thinking of a wow saddle - she likes flair and wondered if the wow would suit as adjustable - what are people opinions good or bad on the wow saddle with kissing spines - think its t7-t8 then t14-whatever behind saddle (sorry literally diagnosed yestersay so still in a bit of shock) - she having it medicated then lunging to build up muscle to manage it rather than go for op immediately as facet joints also affected.

kezimac

Visit site
nov2011017.jpg

nov2011042.jpg

just a couple of photos to show what type of back she has

Leg_end

Visit site
Wows are like marmite so I would say you'd need to try one first. Saying that, I love mine and both horses I've had it on have loved it too. Current boy isn't quite what I'd call cold backed but when I first got him he would round his back when you got on however he doesn't do that at all anymore so he likes it! I love the fact it's so adjustable and they really can fit almost any horse. Do be careful about your fitter though, ESP as your mare has KS.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
I have a had a Wow pre KS op, ned had op, went to standard type saddles and I'm back to a Wow and he seems to have accepted it. Initially I think there was too much movement for him to cope with and he kindly dumped me on a number of occasions. I've had a great deal of difficulty finding a saddle he will accept, a friend had one for sale at a very reasonable price, got it fitted to him and now he's happy.
Completely agree they are indeed like Marmite, most Wow fitters will have saddles you can try etc. Good luck!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
A flexible panel saddle may be worth considering - I fit ReactorPanels but there are others. They can work reall well for kissing spines as you can set the panels exactly where (how wide) you want them, they are of course flexible, and are non weight bearing along the edges.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Your horse looks good for something that has so much KS! Well muscled back, good topline and posture.
Used a wow saddle with great success on a KS horse post op- it was the only dressage saddle I could find that he went really well in and that he liked. He didn't like jumping in it tho- preferred his saddle company saddle for jumping.

kezimac

Visit site
thanks seabiscuit! - i know she doesnt look that bad - the bottom pic was from back end of last yr but the top one was 6 weeks ago - and vet said looks like most likely long standing so more than 2 yrs. - from the outside doesnt look like KS - only reason we know is cos i was convinced just something not right as she has gone resistant to contact and hollowing. - already has regular physio so knew something more - glad i really pushed for referral or may never have known it was there.

WoW definately sounds the way to go as so adjustable - planning on having it fitted with sheepskin half pad too as usually have that under my saddle and hoping that will also help cushion back.

cptrayes

Visit site
Either spend top whack on the sheepskin pad or go for wool instead. Cheaper sheepskins are made of up to 70 pieces (I counted the ones in my Roma pad!) of sheepskin sewn together and some horses can feel the joins.

I think even my "lightweight" WOWs are heavy, compared to many saddles, but my friend's Jaguar is as bad.

Kezimac, you may need to consider the gullet width very carefully. Wide would avoid the spine, but the wider it is the less stable it will be to sideways movement.

You may also like to consider the way that a WOW saddle can be fitted with panels the same size as the seat or an inch shorter than the seat size. That may allow you to get a seat big enough for you but keep the panel well away from the further back vertebrae.

Personally, I think I'd call WOW direct with your horse's problems and see what they recommend.

Last edited:

dinks

New User
Visit site
hi sorry to hear about your horse. i currently have a reactor panel saddle for sale if your interested. wide fit 17 1/2 with short panels. This saddle is very adjustable and perfect for fitting to a horse like this. Espeially is you employed an expert.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Hi Dinks - the company I fit for has become official agents for the UK, do let me know if you'd like us to give you a valuation for sale or return, hopefully for you you'll easily be able to sell it privately :). They really are very good for many horses with these kinds of problems.