Wow saddle panels

irishdraft

Visit site
Can anyone tell me the difference between DXWG & DDXWG and DDWG & DWG panels . I am looking for various parts to make up a saddle but do not know much about the variations . The panels I need both prefixed with double D seem hard to find . I do have a fitter but keep finding more questions.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the old Wow website explains the difference between D and DD, that's about the gusset

http://firstthought.co.uk/wow/wowpaneltypes.htm

the WG and XWG relate to the width of the gullet, i.e. the channel between the panels that is either wide WG or extra wide XWG

so you're looking for a double deep gusset and then either wide or XW gullet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
DD very rarely come up for sale. They tend to be for clearance for horses with prominent withers/backbones I had a set once and they were snapped up very fast.

irishdraft

Visit site
Thanks for your answers that would make sense my horse does need a wide gullet and has a prominent wither .

Wheels

Visit site
The DD panels are really for horses that have pockets behind the shoulders/ pronounced shoulders rather than prominent withers per se. You can have a large prominent wither but with well muscled thoracic trapezius in which case a DWG is fine. Those pockets should not generally really be there, they should be filled with muscle and you should not be able to see the outline of the back of the shoulder. This is often caused by a saddle that is too tight but can also be caused by an injury that results in a lack of topline generally

In hand work to strengthen that area without a rider might be more beneficial and / or a saddle that is fitted slightly wider with shims at the front to allow more muscle to grow.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rules and it might be conformational, in which case you might have to bite the bullet and order some new DD panels.

Has your fitter got some for you to try? If not then wow might send her a set for you to test ride. They are pretty big and deep so don't sit right on a lot of horses

irishdraft

Visit site
Yes the fitter put a saddle together for me to try, I'm assuming they were the DD panels, I will check with her, I'm getting myself tied in knots with it , I don't have any experience of wow saddles. The horse does have muscle wastage behind the shoulder , also a huge shoulder and not much topline . He's quite a difficult fit for various reasons ,the fitter is a remedial fitter , the idea is to go wide to try to build up muscle etc . I was already going with this idea with my current saddle but have come to the conclusion it's tight on the shoulder. I think he has probably been fitted too tight his whole ridden life but now at 14 he's feeling the effects so anyway trying to get it sorted now .

Wheels

Visit site
Glad to hear you are on the right track. Definitely ask the fitter if it was DD and may also be able to go DWG and a shim numnah as an alternative.

ycbm

Visit site
I think I'd go the Wheels shim route if I were you, it's astonishing how quickly shoulder hollows can fill in once you put a horse in a WOW, and DWG are so much easier to source and you could end up needing to swap to them anyway (plus I don't like riding on too much air, it can feel quite unstable).

Last edited:

irishdraft

Visit site
Yes that sounds like a good idea, shimming the DWG . I have been scouring all selling sources but not seen a single DD panel for sale . It's apparently £1200 for new panels & a 3 month wait so not keen on going that route if I can avoid .

ycbm

Visit site
I've only ever seen one pair on ebay and I put them there!

Andrew657

Visit site
Have you seen Zoe Ward's advert (4/6) on Facebook Group - WOW Saddles & Parts For Sale, Wanted or Exchange UK; doesn't specify full details of panels. I don't know her - but sounds like they might be worth an enquiry