WOW Saddles for Natives?

wildandwoolly

Visit site
Experiences please? I'm thinking about a Wow saddle for my wide (not ridiculously), croup high pony who is slowly deflating! I've had problems with saddles slipping to the right and this could be me or him or both! He saw the physio yesterday who found slight tightness left side of saddle area (caused by saddle slipping right) and slight difference in amount of oscillation of right hip (not coming up as much as left in trot) which improved after massage. Physio thinks he's holding himself rather than lame but I'll know more after he's ridden tomorrow. If it is purely saddle related he should be better, ie saddle doesn't slip. If he is much worse then he'll need a lameness workup. The reason I'm considering a Wow saddle is that they are so adjustable and maybe this could work for our combined wonkiness? Comfort for him and stability of saddle are what I'm trying to achieve. I don't know much about Wow saddles except they are eye-wateringly expensive new but you can buy the various elements secondhand if you know exactly what you're after and that you must have a good Wow fitter to fit and set up. Any advice/comments gratefully received. Thank you :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
They are a marmite saddle but i like marmite ;)

as you've said, i wouldn't be committing too much until you know what is going on physically with your pony. but assuming there is not a problem that needs veterinary attention, i really like Wows and with a horse that is changing shape they can be quite cost effective.
When you're starting out, you're right that a good fitter is key. if budget is a consideration, ask them upfront if they will fit second hand and maybe even help you source the parts you would need (some of them can be funny about it).

then get someone out to set you up and check that both you and pony like it. not everyone does.

i've sold most of my Wow parts recently and i think that there can be some proper bargains to be had, i needed mine gone out of the house quickly and let them go pretty cheap. depends what you need though.

Durhamchance

Visit site
My loan pony is in a wow, and its brilliantly adjustable. Our fitter comes out every few months and adjusts it as required. I find it very comfortable and secure. We are looking to get another soon for our short backed barrel of a cob.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
WOW saddles as previously said are Marmite. I loved the idea of it, my horse liked it but I only managed to put up with mine for 6 months then sold it on as I always felt perched on it. The friend who bought it from me lasted 6 weeks and got sick of going out the side door with it. The girl who bought it from her loved it.

daydreamer

Visit site
I had a fitting for a Wow saddle yesterday. I've never ridden in one before. It was for my youngster so can't really compare how he went in it to other saddles. He is very wide and flat backed so I thought I would struggle with most saddles (and the saddler said I was probably right about this). We tried 3 different seat styles, I didn't like the deep seat but did like the continental seat. I couldn't really articulate why in either case. The fitter was great and gave me a shopping list for if I wanted to buy the parts 2nd hand and said she would any links etc that I sent her to make sure I bought the right thing. I've ordered a brand new one as I am impatient and searching has suggested that his set up is pretty rare so there may not be all the parts available easily second hand (I asked the saddler about this and she said she only fits that seat and tree to about 5% of her clients).

milliepops

Visit site
just as an aside, i think a Wow fitting is really interesting from a rider's POV because when they are adjusting the flair you can be sat in the saddle and feel the massive difference that a tiny adjustment can make. i am not sure you can get that same appreciation if having to get off to swap saddles like in a normal saddle fitting. goes without saying that all saddles should be in balance but actually being able to feel the balancing happening underneath you in a dynamic way is fascinating i think!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Would you consider trying a good treeless saddle before splashing the cash? They are not for everyone, again Marmite! But you would see/feel the free shoulder movement and feel the back muscles start to work. It may just help you to work towards a solution.
I tried my cob in a Barefoot years ago when trying to alter his short choppy stride, and never went back to a traditional saddle. The lengthening stride surprised me, and he stopped hollowing his back. He is now 27 and still has a good topline.

SEL

Visit site
And there are really good native specific regular-treed saddles out there too, just sayin' ;):cool:.
Sorry to hijack but is there anyone from AH doing the south east (M40 j6-8 type area)

OP I had my wow on trial for my tank of a mare and if your fitter is ok with that then it's worth it. Also make sure the fitter has a good reputation and is ok with regular visits to adjust.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Sorry to hijack but is there anyone from AH doing the south east (M40 j6-8 type area)

OP I had my wow on trial for my tank of a mare and if your fitter is ok with that then it's worth it. Also make sure the fitter has a good reputation and is ok with regular visits to adjust.

I technically cover to the east of the M40 (plus Warwickshire), and Sam Wiltshire covers to the west, and much of the south east generally.

saalsk

Visit site
I love mine, and have used it on all my horses. However, I would really advocate trying one first, even if only on the mechanical horse - they are indeed very marmite. Having a good fitter, as with all saddles, is so important, as well as listening to the horse, and how you yourself feel in the saddle. I rode my 16.2HH TB washing line narrow chap in it, and he loved it. My next one, 15.2HH arab, unbelievably wide, huge shoulders, also fine. Next was another arab 16HH, not as wide, big withers, loved it. Currently on a 14HH Welsh who is young and keeps changing shape. I intermittently use a treeless, as I ride/lead, and can just change between the 2, and although they are very different to ride in, the horses go well in either, although I prefer the WOW as it is less work on my ankles. That could easily be my riding though, not the saddle. For the price of a WOW, it is worth going out of your way to try them first - having said that, my treeless was brought for about £75 online, as I simply wanted something to put on/off a new youngster, that if he trashed it/rolled in it/chewed at it etc, wouldn't give the bank manager palpitations !

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I tried one on my Highland and she shortened and didnt move forward and free. I had the cash to splash on a brand new saddle for her but she preferred the second hand Jeffrey's.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I'm another voter for a treeless Drytex Barefoot, never looked back since I bought it 11 years ago, still as good as new. I tried a Wow saddle once, and it was too heavy for me to lift. All that weight even before the rider ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I tried a Wow saddle once, and it was too heavy for me to lift. All that weight even before the rider ?

They are still heavy, comparatively, but the newest version weighs several kilos less than the older ones.

sbloom

I'm another voter for a treeless Drytex Barefoot, never looked back since I bought it 11 years ago, still as good as new. I tried a Wow saddle once, and it was too heavy for me to lift. All that weight even before the rider ?

The difference between a heavy saddle and a light saddle, for the horse, is often less than our weight fluctuates even in a year. Unless you're on the heavy side for the horse, then saddle fit is WAY more important than saddle weight.

Elno

Visit site
Experiences please? I'm thinking about a Wow saddle for my wide (not ridiculously), croup high pony who is slowly deflating! I've had problems with saddles slipping to the right and this could be me or him or both! He saw the physio yesterday who found slight tightness left side of saddle area (caused by saddle slipping right) and slight difference in amount of oscillation of right hip (not coming up as much as left in trot) which improved after massage. Physio thinks he's holding himself rather than lame but I'll know more after he's ridden tomorrow. If it is purely saddle related he should be better, ie saddle doesn't slip. If he is much worse then he'll need a lameness workup. The reason I'm considering a Wow saddle is that they are so adjustable and maybe this could work for our combined wonkiness? Comfort for him and stability of saddle are what I'm trying to achieve. I don't know much about Wow saddles except they are eye-wateringly expensive new but you can buy the various elements secondhand if you know exactly what you're after and that you must have a good Wow fitter to fit and set up. Any advice/comments gratefully received. Thank you :)

A saddle that fits doesn't slip. My saddle slipped to the right on my barrel-shaped overgrown young pony with a small wither. It was infuriating until I, with the help of my saddlefitter solved the problem.

I bought an adjustable saddle because I reckoned it was a good idea because my horse is only four and just recently started under saddle so it's kind of expected of him to change shape with more work and growth. I couldn't get the saddle to fit, although the brand advertise them to fit practically anything. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely saddle! But if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit no matter which gullet or how many inserts you put in the panels (it was a Bates). Our problem was that he has a very wide, albeit small wither- he needed a saddle that was more of an upside down U rather than V, but not quite a hoop tree.

He now has another saddle I bought second hand (it was actually a really good deal, still so happy about it! ?) which fits both him and me beautifully, but unfortunately it is not as adjustable so we'll see how long until he grows out of it.

Rambling aside, my point is- don't get fooled by brands that advertise their saddles to be adjustable to everything.

Elno

Visit site
in fairness wows are a lot more adjustable than a standard changeable gullet saddle.

I must confess that I haven't come across them and they probably are. You can for instance change panels, right? I've gotten the (maybe false?) impression that people turn to WOW when nothing else fits before they go treeless? They seem to be very expensive, and surely you can find saddles- both new and used that fit your horse/pony without having to sell your kidney on the black market?

milliepops

Visit site
I must confess that I haven't come across them and they probably are. You can for instance change panels, right? I've gotten the (maybe false?) impression that people turn to WOW when nothing else fits before they go treeless? They seem to be very expensive, and surely you can find saddles- both new and used that fit your horse/pony without having to sell your kidney on the black market?
i went to Wows when i couldn't find a jumping saddle that worked for me. My horse was easy to fit but i couldn't find anything that suited me until i sat in a wow. you can change everything... flat or curvy tree, tens of headplates U and V shapes, multiple panel styles, flap styles, seat shapes, you name it. Flock, foam, flair in the panels. they aren't for everyone, but they are poles apart from the normal gullet-change types.

FWIW i have owned probably 5 or 6 over the years. i bought my first one new, way back when they were similar price as a good brand new english saddle. since then i've picked them all up for £500 or less second hand. no need to sell any kidneys if you have the time to spend sourcing the parts you want.

sbloom

A saddle that fits doesn't slip. My saddle slipped to the right on my barrel-shaped overgrown young pony with a small wither. It was infuriating until I, with the help of my saddlefitter solved the problem.

Rambling aside, my point is- don't get fooled by brands that advertise their saddles to be adjustable to everything.

First point - I used to think this, I have shifted slightly. There are SO many horses in compensatory movement patterns, not helped by their crooked riders. In the majority of cases it's better to fix horse and rider, than to find a way to wedge the saddle into place, however, it is true that some saddles stay in place because they are genuinely wedged there (narrow twists on wider horses can do this in some cases for instance), some WILL sit down around the horse better than others and may be easier to make stable on the horse.

But some types of saddles work brilliantly on horses that are moving correctly, but not on one that has compensatory patterns, ie is pretty crooked, and those saddles have other benefits eg being superbly customised to optimise rider comfort and efficiency.

There is no single answer, and I'm not for a second saying that it's acceptable for a fitter to simply throw up their hands and say "it can't be the saddle, it fits perfectly" without suggesting why it might be slipping and at least referring you for further help.

On the second point there are a few brands that market themselves as being adjustable to fit any horses which is never, ever true or possible. There are always horses they won't fit. And a standard plastic treed changeable headplate saddles isn't anywhere near as adjustable as the aforementioned type - tree shape and panel shape mean that arch width at the front is about 1/9 part of the fit.

Back to your main programming :cool:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

They aren't any more expensive that any other high-mid-range saddle. Plenty of saddles cost £3k new these days. Second hand is a lot cheaper. I have some old but sound SDWG panels for sale for £100 and an almost brand new deep seat for £450. I sold the flaps for £150.