Wow saddles

Tallante

Visit site
I love my WOW dressage saddle and so does my mare. As per MagicMelon I also have had a foregirth fitted. Every other saddle I tried, even if it fitted her back slipped forward onto her shoulder and made her grumpy and sore. I also like the choice of stirrup bars.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
another Wow lover here-my old lusitano loved it as well. Just hoping the new one does :D Fitting to the rider is important with any saddle, the last loan horse I had had a saddle that crippled me- saddle was made by one of our well known and highly regarded saddlers, didnt make it a bad saddle..

Kallibear

Visit site
Hehehe well how do I put this politely, I found them rather... err.... bulky around the lady regions...

However the 4 I ride in all clients horses and none have been fitted to me personally which may not be helping. Each to their own as they say, I'm sure there are some people out there who would hate my saddles, it really is personal preference.

As another poster said, you either love them or hate them. Or get sliced in half by them :p

It does depend greatly on the seat you choose and the balance for the rider.

A previous horse that I rode had two WOW' over time. First one was my saddle, fitted for me (and my other horse, before being adjusted to horse in question). I LOVED it yet friend who's horse it was found it 'ok to uncomfortable'.

I then sold my WOW so she bought her own, fitted to her, with different seat and balance. I HATED it. Most uncomfortable saddle I'd ever sat it. She loved it!

Anyways, for the OP's question about slipping: never had an issue but the horses it was used on were more withery types who never had saddle slipping issues anyways.

seejay

Visit site
Tbh many dressage saddle give as good shoulder freedom as a wow .
Many many dressage saddle can be put onto the flair system if the horse likes it .
I use flailed dressage saddles on my horses before I buy them a proper saddle of their own .

No other saddle has the swing of the front arch from side to side allowed by the carbon fibre joint in the twist of a wow. They are unique.

Goldenstar

Visit site
No other saddle has the swing of the front arch from side to side allowed by the carbon fibre joint in the twist of a wow. They are unique.

They may have a unique contruction but it's going way to far to say they are the only saddles that allow shoulder freedom you only have to look at awesome trots on the top Grand Prix horses to see shoulder freedom without wow saddles .

galaxy

Visit site
I have been borrowing my friends WOW dressage for the the last month and the difference in her is really noticeable! Not only has she put on muscle behind the shoulder, her canter transitions which have always been her weak point have resolved overnight.... She suddenly has a medium trot... we struggled before and she is generally a lot more uphill and up through her shoulders and neck.

I have had several different saddles on her and none have had this effect before. They all technically "fitted"

I am now trying to find one to buy... Size 1 with giant knee blocks and only a few years old so they have the new tree just don't seem to be sold by people!!

MissJessica

Visit site
Thank you guys, I think the process is to have the saddler out, who is Lorna Triggs in my area and thoroughly try before I buy....I have absolutely loved your comments and been laughing out loud as the giant tampon remark and thank you for pointing out that isn't what Francis Whittington won riding on!!! Lol xxx

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
A well fitted saddle should give the horse shoulder freedom, even a forward cut saddle, the cut of the saddle is much more about what the rider wants to do and how they ride. The tree points should be back from the shoulder so not interfering with it at all, the differences between the fit of a dressage saddle on the shoudler, and a jump saddle, are MUCH smaller than the differences in a saddle that stays back and one that really does not and any other aspect of a correct fit. Ie look for a correct fit rather than worrying too much about the cut of the saddle, most of the larger ponies and horses I fit have big shoulders and the cut of the saddles isn't a factor in fitting 95% of them.

I feel that for some horses, especially wide flat ones where there can be a lot of movement coming through the back, that stability is all, and that some more modern developements in saddles where there is more movement inside the saddle don't assist stability. Overall of course you have to go for what works for your particular horse and rider combo.