"Wrong" to stop competing, so can do other horsey things??

SPARK

photobucket.com
I have a lovely 19 year old mare who I have had for 15 years. We have done lots of different stuff over the years but dressage has been our main thing for the past 5 ish years and we compete BD. Last month we did our first affiliated medium and got a 5th place with 62.22%
smile.gif
VERY pleased with that! I now feel I have achieved what I wanted to with Sophie and I have no urge what-so -ever to compete her any more.
confused.gif
I don't think she will go much futher (due to her age, not lack of talent!) and I feel I want to do some other stuff as I used to spend every moment training for the dressage! I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to compete her (yard owner is doing a medium on her this month) but I really do not have any interest in doing it myself anymore! We have started having a jumping lesson every other week and it is great fun. We are also hacking out more and going on sponsored rides etc. I also really want to show her in veteran classes and do the qualifiers for Olympia, as i reckon she would do well. (I can't do that and dressage due to lack of time and money!) Perhaps I have got a bit stale with the dressage?? I used to go in the school 5-6 days per week and have lessons every Saturday and more often if I had a week off work! Even though I still have the occasional lesson and enjoy schooling. I feel like I am cheating Sophie by not competing her anymore as she still has plenty left in her and feel like I am kind of wasting her, if you know what I mean?! I have a WB foal who I hope will be my next dressage star and I feel like I need a break doing other horsey stuff before I start with him as I hope he will take me a long way. I also have a NF filly foal that I would like to breed from eventually and try some WHP on!! I fully intend to continue riding Sophie and train for the dressage, but just don't want to compete any more. I just feel I am letting her down by not competing.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I just feel I am letting her down by not competing.

[/ QUOTE ]
She won't care one bit. As long as she is having fun and enjoying life she won't mind what she's doing.

Just enjoy doing whatever you want together.

riotgirl

Visit site
Not wrong at all! The worst thing to do would be carry on out of some sense of duty and then end up resenting it. Have some fun with your girl - I bet she'll feel the benefit as well.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
If she's good with her dressage, why not join the Veteran horse society and do a bit of showing with her?

You probably wouldn't need to work so hard cos of her talent, just enough to stop her getting stiff, she's still going to parties, and you can spend more time with the baby!

Then you can do both - chill out with the dressage till baby is old enough, but keep sophie going out to shows.

Of course, I doubt Sophie will mind either way, but if you think she'd prefer a bit of showing??

Tempi

Visit site
hi hun
smile.gif

i totally know where you are coming from, i feel the same with Bloss. as you know shes not going any further either to be honest - i know she would try her hardest for me but i think it would really break her due to her bad hocks. Sophie is such a star and shes done so well she will no doubt enjoy the time doing different things. ive started showjumping bloss abit and shes going to lessons with a young girl on my yard who im hoping will share her.

give youself and sophie a nice break before you get into breaking your gorgeous youngster in. If you ever want to come have a ride on Bloss for a change of secenary you are more than welcome
smile.gif
i take it you wont be doing medstead on 21st then?

Petrie

Visit site
It's not just about them, it's about you too, and if you feel like you need a break to chill out and get your enhtusiasm back, then why not?!

She'll be fine just hacking to keep her ticking over. She might enjoy the break as much as you do!

jinglejoys

Visit site
As one who hates competing I cqan't see the problem
grin.gif
I have fun doing other things.
Why don't you try Le Trec or Western for a change-just enjoy your horse and let her relax and enjoy you.
smile.gif

SPARK

photobucket.com
I have been thinking about that! I really fancy doing the VHS qualifiers for Olympia. I have been told that she could do well as she moves well and looks good for an older lady!

Pasha

Visit site
Don't feel guilty - having a horse is meant to be fun and enjoyable so do whatever you want to - there is more to life than dressage!

Saying that I do compete in dressage on my 19yr old Arab show horse as I find it is good preparation for the show ring... I am also going to do the VHS qualifiers on my boy and aim to get to Olympia next year - may see you there!

SPARK

photobucket.com
Hi P_G
smile.gif

I was thinking of maybe getting a sharer for Sophie, I have tried in the past but had no takers!!!
I think Sophie deserves a bit of a rest and I have felt pressured in the past to ride every day and train, train, train! I think she will also enjoy doing different stuff. The jumping is great and I feel I am getting my confidence back with it.
I am not going to do Medstead, but the YO is doing Sparsholt on the 25th. I was looking at doing Quob on the 1st Nov but I really don't want to!!! (so I won't!!!)
It would be good to come and have a ride on Bloss! and don't forget you are also welcome to come and have a ride on Sophie and come and see my huge orange foal!!!