Wwyd advice on euthanasia

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
Hi,
I’m looking for some advice on what people think is best to do with my pony.
I’ve had him 5 years and he has been my best friend however around 6 months ago he broke his splint bone and needed an operation to fix it. Our insurance didn’t cover us for as much as we thought so we spent every last penny we had on his op however he is now lame and they are saying the only way to fix this is to have another op which we were not informed about at the start. We are now almost completely out of money so we cannot afford the operation and he has a large character and gets difficult to manage on box rest.
My two options are to put him out in a field with my other pony who is also lame at the moment but should recover soon, or have him pts.
If I was to put him in a field there is a chance that he will get upset as he doesn’t really enjoy being out 24/7 however we cannot afford to keep him stabled. He is only 10 and it is a heartbreaking decision but I need to know what would be best.
Also he cannot be sold on or put on full Loan as he can be a handful and I believe with a different owner he would become worse. Me and my pony have a very strong bond and I would hate to put him through stress x

bonny

Visit site
I would turn him out if that’s an option, does your vet think he will come right in time ?

be positive

Visit site
I have had 2 break splint bones and both made a full recovery after being operated on so am surprised yours has not been fixed with his, is there another problem that was missed initially that is now preventing it healing?

As he is still young I would probably turn him away, if he is sound enough to be comfortable, most settle turned out 24/7 if they are in a suitable field with company, I would then look into the cost of the op, do a bit of research to see if it can be done for less if you go to a different vets, mine had standing surgery on his which was less expensive than a GA, then I would start saving, having him out and unshod should help get you started if the target is not too high.

You obviously cannot sell or loan a lame pony regardless of his temperament it is not fair to pass him on so if no other options are possible then pts is the kindest thing, unfortunately when we take on owning horses we have to be prepared to make decisions that are in their best interests and sometimes financial pressure does have to be considered.

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
I would turn him out if that’s an option, does your vet think he will come right in time ?
The vet doesn’t know what will happen to him. She said that there is a small chance he will. Also I said in the first statement he isn’t that happy in a field. He box walks and gets quite worked up so I’m not sure if this is a good option for him

bonny

Visit site
It’s not clear what you are asking then, you can’t afford the vets fees and don’t want to turn him out or stable him ? In that case you have only one option ......

be positive

Visit site
The vet doesn’t know what will happen to him. She said that there is a small chance he will. Also I said in the first statement he isn’t that happy in a field. He box walks and gets quite worked up so I’m not sure if this is a good option for him

What is the diagnosis?

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
I have had 2 break splint bones and both made a full recovery after being operated on so am surprised yours has not been fixed with his, is there another problem that was missed initially that is now preventing it healing?

As he is still young I would probably turn him away, if he is sound enough to be comfortable, most settle turned out 24/7 if they are in a suitable field with company, I would then look into the cost of the op, do a bit of research to see if it can be done for less if you go to a different vets, mine had standing surgery on his which was less expensive than a GA, then I would start saving, having him out and unshod should help get you started if the target is not too high.

You obviously cannot sell or loan a lame pony regardless of his temperament it is not fair to pass him on so if no other options are possible then pts is the kindest thing, unfortunately when we take on owning horses we have to be prepared to make decisions that are in their best interests and sometimes financial pressure does have to be considered.
He broke his splint bone so high up that it interfered with his knee joint. They had to pin it to his cannon bone which I think may be causing the problem. It wasn’t a normal break and vets have said it was a pretty bad injury. He is very uncomfortable in Trot but I’m unsure if this is too bad for him to be turned out.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
He may settle in time in a field - if he doesn't then the decision becomes a little clearer as that option will be ruled out. Mine is turned away at the moment. He is the kind of pony who needs a lot of work to stay sane so I did worry about him but he settled after a few days and is now appearing to love his life of leisure.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It really does need to be your decision I think. But you are not obliged to bankrupt yourself trying to fix a horse that may not be fixable. As hard as it is, affordability of treatment does factor in PTS decisions.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It seems like you have decided. You say you cannot afford further treatment or the cost of stabling and do not want to try turning him out 24/7. There is nothing else.

be positive

Visit site
He broke his splint bone so high up that it interfered with his knee joint. They had to pin it to his cannon bone which I think may be causing the problem. It wasn’t a normal break and vets have said it was a pretty bad injury. He is very uncomfortable in Trot but I’m unsure if this is too bad for him to be turned out.

I would have expected them to remove it rather than pin as it serves no real purpose, it may still be interfering with the knee or the ligaments surrounding it which may settle in time as the bone fuses further, is he still on box rest/ restricted turnout? if so I would chuck him out for a few months and reassess, once he knows he is not coming in every day he should accept it but it may be that your yard is not really suitable, many places aren't, for them to be able to settle because there is too much going on, I am lucky that I have a field that is well beyond the yard and the horses cannot really see the comings and goings so settle really quickly, not everyone is able to do this.

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
It seems like you have decided. You say you cannot afford further treatment or the cost of stabling and do not want to try turning him out 24/7. There is nothing else.
I just wondered what other people’s opinions were and whether they felt it would be a good decision for him. This is a very difficult time so I’d appreciate if you could be a bit more sensitive and not talk to me like that

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
I would have expected them to remove it rather than pin as it serves no real purpose, it may still be interfering with the knee or the ligaments surrounding it which may settle in time as the bone fuses further, is he still on box rest/ restricted turnout? if so I would chuck him out for a few months and reassess, once he knows he is not coming in every day he should accept it but it may be that your yard is not really suitable, many places aren't, for them to be able to settle because there is too much going on, I am lucky that I have a field that is well beyond the yard and the horses cannot really see the comings and goings so settle really quickly, not everyone is able to do this.
My yard doesn’t offer all year turnout so I would have to move him to another yard which could be traumatic for him. I only want the best x

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Personally I’d try him in the field. If he doesn’t settle after a week I would probably PTS as he is young and being lame for the next 10-20 years is not a life.

bonny

Visit site
I just wondered what other people’s opinions were and whether they felt it would be a good decision for him. This is a very difficult time so I’d appreciate if you could be a bit more sensitive and not talk to me like that
It’s not really a good decision for him, if you want to end his life to avoid paying any more money then fair enough but don’t make out it’s for him if you aren’t prepared to try any other options

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It is very tough. I did have to move mine away to turn him away 24/7. Luckily I found somewhere that worked well for me but if you can't do that then it's harder as they settle easier out 24/7 than coming in and out. At least mine did.
it may be worth asking around though.

HashRouge

Visit site
It’s not really a good decision for him, if you want to end his life to avoid paying any more money then fair enough but don’t make out it’s for him if you aren’t prepared to try any other options
That's a bit uncalled for! From what the OP said, they don't have the money for another operation (which is understandable if an expensive surgery has already been carried out and the insurance is used up) and he does not settle in the field. I can understand about being extremely anxious about turning this horse out, as it sounds like he could do himself more damage!

bonny

Visit site
That's a bit uncalled for! From what the OP said, they don't have the money for another operation (which is understandable if an expensive surgery has already been carried out and the insurance is used up) and he does not settle in the field. I can understand about being extremely anxious about turning this horse out, as it sounds like he could do himself more damage!
Then what are we being asked for ?

be positive

Visit site
My yard doesn’t offer all year turnout so I would have to move him to another yard which could be traumatic for him. I only want the best x

I think that 6 months to recover from a serious injury is probably not long enough, mine took longer than that with the damaged splint bone removed, I also think a yard move is not traumatic if the move is to somewhere suitable for the right reasons, as a YO I try and accommodate special requirements and turning out a horse in recovery would be expected at some point so it would have been planned for either by me as YO or by the horse owner.

You don't need to justify having him pts but as you came on here to ask for opinions or options you do need to accept there are some if you are prepared to look.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

What we would do. No need to be deliberately nasty. The OP probably feels guilty that she has no money left to fix a young horse! I felt bad as my older horse was running through my savings and I just couldn’t keep up the constant meds and feeds and special needs. It’s a hard decision.

bonny

Visit site
What we would do. No need to be deliberately nasty. The OP probably feels guilty that she has no money left to fix a young horse! I felt bad as my older horse was running through my savings and I just couldn’t keep up the constant meds and feeds and special needs. It’s a hard decision.
I said I would turn the pony out but that isn’t an option .....nothing is apart from pts which is fair enough, she is the owner not us

Ambers Echo

Visit site

I think OP is facing a horrible dilemma and can't see a way through it but wants to know if there are other options she has not thought of? Or reassurance that it is a reasonable option given the overall circumstances and the context.

OP, I think turning away is an option you could try. He may not settle or he he may find it traumatic. But then again he may not. At this point you have nothing to lose really by giving it a go assuming you can find a suitable place to go or can persuade your YO to make arrangements for him. My YO is brilliant with 'special needs'. Have you asked her what you can do?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
OP I really feel for you and hope you can come to terms with whatever you decide is best long term both for your pony and yourself. I like your honesty and that you haven't wrapped your dilemma up in obscure poor me I cant possibly do anymore type thread..

You have stated the facts clearly and honestly and in this instance I think nobody could blame you for making the PTS decision. However if I was faced with that decision and the background you describe I would probably try for one last attempt with field rest if you can sort something doable that fits in with your ponys needs. If you can't then I hope you can find it in yourself to do the right thing as this is far, far better option than trying to sell or loan on,which you have rightly said you would not do.

scats

Visit site
OP- really sorry that you are in this situation. Horses are heart breakers aren’t they?
I think that you basically have two options- try the field rest and if it doesn’t work out, then PTS, or PTS now.
Due to the horses age and the fact there is a chance he will come sound, if he were mine I would be tempted to give the field rest a go. If that doesn’t work, then you know in your heart of hearts you couldn’t have done anymore for him in your current situation.

But I would fully understand if you chose to PTS sooner.

Best wishes.

Auslander

Visit site
If you're prepared to try turning him away, it would actually be better to move him - to somewhere that is set up for retired/resting horses, without much going on. He'll probably settle better than you think he will if everything changes for him in one fell swoop - and he's in an environment where coming in just doesn't happen. Trying to turn him away in his current home (if it was an option) would probably be more stressful for him, as he's used to a certain routine.
It's certainly worth trying a few months in the field, to see if he starts improving. If not, there are worse things than euthanasia.
Personally - I'd support either option. Don't feel that you've failed him if you decide to put him to sleep

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
I think OP is facing a horrible dilemma and can't see a way through it but wants to know if there are other options she has not thought of? Or reassurance that it is a reasonable option given the overall circumstances and the context.

OP, I think turning away is an option you could try. He may not settle or he he may find it traumatic. But then again he may not. At this point you have nothing to lose really by giving it a go assuming you can find a suitable place to go or can persuade your YO to make arrangements for him. My YO is brilliant with 'special needs'. Have you asked her what you can do?
She has a large number of youngsters and stallions so at the moment she has no space for him to go In a field. I am at the moment looking around to see if there is anywhere suitable and if I find somewhere I will definitely consider doing that first. My only worry with that is he is very calm at the yard he is at at the moment and I think it would be nicer for him to end his life in a safe and happy environment than if I move he gets stressed and has a bad few weeks of life. I know there is a chance that he will settle but it’s just a big risk.
Also thank you for being so understanding x

Kb_eventing_

New User
Visit site
OP- really sorry that you are in this situation. Horses are heart breakers aren’t they?
I think that you basically have two options- try the field rest and if it doesn’t work out, then PTS, or PTS now.
Due to the horses age and the fact there is a chance he will come sound, if he were mine I would be tempted to give the field rest a go. If that doesn’t work, then you know in your heart of hearts you couldn’t have done anymore for him in your current situation.

But I would fully understand if you chose to PTS sooner.

Best wishes.
Thank you. This is exactly how I’m feeling at the moment it’s just difficult to find somewhere to suit what I need. I’m not sure if I can let him go yet without trying absolutely everything I can physically do but he’s such a stress head I just don’t want him getting too worked up x

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
only just read this thread, i feel for you but make sure that if you do find somewhere that he can be out 24/7, try not to make too much of a fuss yourself as he may be picking up on your worries. i know it is difficult with a stressy horse but the calmer you are the better he will adjust. hope you find somewhere suitable , if you say which area you are in someone on here may know of somewhere nice....