WWYD - Beginner rider

Equi

Visit site
My little cousin (9yo) has showed interest in going to a riding lesson. Shes completely animal obsessed and for many years has been called "my" child cause were so alike. Her mum has asked if i mind sorting that out for her and of course i don't, but im trying to decide the best course of action.

1) local riding school. Non bhs, very basic, trainers basically learned there and teach as they were taught. NOT very good...but will teach the basic balance and is cheap and close. Only has a small arena and no clubs etc. Only runs on saturdays.
2) further school, bhs, well known and will teach properly but is a fair bit more expensive but have indoor/outdoor/xc on site. Have lessons all week.

So do i sort a few 1) lessons so see how she does or go to 2) because if she DOES like it she will want to stay in her "group" she likes?

Id love to just let her come ride my horse, but im not sure a 17hh hunter who is a bit up his own arse at the moment would be the best 9yo beginner ride lol

bonny

Visit site
I think I would take her a few times to the local school and if she enjoys it she will have learnt the basics and then go to number 2 to develop further, she will soon make friends if she goes regularly anyway.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would take her to the first one as long as you can be there to make sure it is safe, at least for the first few times.

She will either love it or not, if she does I would offer the better school. If she is serious, she will think that is a great idea. As a new rider, I would have gone anywhere for better horses/instruction. Whereas, some riders would prefer to go walk round with their mates.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Years ago I took my daughter to a number 1 type. I wasn’t very comfortable with it all really. I didn’t meet the instructor, as far as I could see there were about 30 ponies and children in the lesson and bearing in mind my daughter was in her first lesson and they didn’t know I was horsey they chucked her up on bit of s sorry looking pony tied up and left her while they sorted the others out. It was me that sorted her stirrups and tightened her girth!! (No one else even checked)
Parents were not allowed to watch and she said she spent most of the time stood in a corner watching the better kids.
We didn’t go back, I drove further afield and she had some lovely lessons at a far better quality but still fun and friendly school so I’d go for number 2
Hope she enjoys it x

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Depends which of our local "proper" riding schools Number 2 is. I've ridden at a few of them over the years, and some are better than others. I'd want to go and have a good look round both set ups before deciding.

3OldPonies

Visit site
How about taking her with you for a look at both and see where she feels most comfortable to have a first lesson? Yard 2 sounds fantastic for someone seriously into riding, but I think could possibly be a bit overwhelming.

Shay

Visit site
If those are your only options - number 2. But is there a Pony Club linked Center in reach? If she does like it there is nothing like the group camaraderie of pony club - or the unmounted activities as well!

Re-reading your origional... I'd also worry slightly about insurance and licensing at Number 1.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I would go straight to number two. If you used number 1 as a starter she might fall in love with her pony and be reluctant to move on to number 2 when the time came.

DressageCob

Visit site
I'd be concerned about the insurance and licensing of number 1. Although obviously the hope would be that nothing bad ever happens, but if it did there is unlikely to be the funds to pay for a proper claim if there is no insurance. It's not worth the risk. Plus if it's not good, I don't think it's worth going at all.

Dubsie

Visit site
You seem doubtful of the quality of teaching at 1. As she is already 9, and capable I'd assume of following instructions well (as opposed to aged 4 or 5 when instructions can quickly get forgotten), I'd go for No 2, and get her position correct and following good quality instruction, in that it is easier to start with good basics than try and correct bad habits later on.
My daughter had a similar issue, started at a low key fun school (although the teaching basic it was pretty good) but they simply didn't push her on, she had weekly or fortnightly individual lesson or ride out, and was happily trotting off the lead rein doing fun things like games and trotting poles and deemed 'nearly ready to canter' for a full year, but they didn't have a place in a group lesson for her, so after that we moved her to a No 2 style school and she was cantering in her first lesson there, and quickly progressed up the levels.

Nari

Visit site
If those are the only options then I'd go for number 2.

Is there anyone on your yard with something safe that would maybe let her have a few pony rides first, just so she gets a feel & to see if she likes it?