WWYD-Breeding

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
We have a beautiful natured and very intelligent Springer bitch. She has no papers. A couple of years ago at a game fair in warks we were approached by a chap who asked if she was papered, a worker, ever been bred from-the usual questions who then asked if we would consider letting him put his very well bred working dog to her and have pick of the litter. We were very flattered but declined.
Since then he has approached us several more times to see if we would reconsider and a week ago my mum was walking her when another chap stopped her and asked if he could 'use' her for pick of the litter and he could 100% guarantee that all the pups would be found suitable homes. He has even offered to pay half the vets bills.

Now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and she is a stunner. She also has a one track mind-she is very ball orientated. (ex police friend said she would make a super sniffer as she is so easily pleased)

What would you do? We are very, very flattered but would you? She is in perfect health and the perfect age. She would have excellent care.....but she is our baby!

SusieT

Visit site
are you willing to risk losing her? As it is a risk. Would you want to take back a two year old dog in th e future if something went wrong with its new home?

s4sugar

Visit site
So he wants a puppy - how does he know your bitch is not a sister to his dog? Have you had her hips & eyes tested?
Surely you must realise that anyone doing proper research into getting a pup wouldn't touch one from a bitch of unknown breeding so who would be wanting these?

If his dog was that good he would not be chasing to use him on an unknown.

Just don't.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't do it. She has no health tests? Springers are hugely popular, I'd be worried about the breeding coefficient. It is hard for a dog owner to have his stud used as there are fab examples out there, show and field trial proven.

As already mentioned, would you take back one, two, maybe more puppies or spend months looking for the right owner? No-one can guarantee homes unless you are an established 'name' with people prepared to wait for years for one of your pups.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I wont be breeding from my health DNA tested KC registered show winning bitch who is a rare vunerable breed. We couldnt bare the possibility of losing her and there are way too many lovely dogs being pts because there is not enough homes for them.

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
All tests would have been carried out prior to mating.
Yes I would have had pups back.
I would have spent forever finding the right homes. (he guaranteed to have them all reserved)
No I'm not prepared to lose her, she may not be papered or in an experts eyes the perfect example of a springer but to us she is priceless.
Thanks Folks, just wanted to hear other peoples idea's as its very easy to be swayed when someone is being so flattering of your 'baby'.

SusieT

Visit site
absoloutely. never mind losing her, she could need a section, and have dead pups which is a lot of money. And he wants to use his dog so that he can advertise him better that's why he's so flattering I'm afraid. He probably would have had them all in working homes which aren't always ideal. I don't think you should have to wait years for a pup, that's years wasted but yes, she is probably a lovely dog etc. I would in fact have her spayed asap to reduce the chance of infections.