WWYD? Concerns

kc921

Visit site
For the past 2 weeks the horse in the field over to mine has been in his shelter "boxed" in due to having lami, now over the course of a week you'd expect improvement, however this horse hasn't been improving, yet the owners have still not called a vet out, after many people on the yard saying they should (I keep out of it as much as possible)
There other horse which is keeping the one in the shelter "company" is in the field outside and her eyes are terrible, looks like conjunctivitis and the owner says she "dealing with it herself" now this means wiping it away with baby wipes, again her eyes have been like that for about 2 weeks and she just will not get a vet out.

I have messaged the yard owner with my concerns, however he is useless and doesn't reply!! (He barely comes down to the yard) I do think he isn't responding is due to the amount of complaints he is getting regarding the new people on the yard, mess left everywhere, dogs running loose into other peoples fields, etc (I have not messaged the yard owner until yesterday about my concerns over their horses)

Everyone else on the yard expresses the same concerns, but the owners don't seem to care to seem bothered by it so there is no point in talking to them regarding it, as they just say "They will be fine"

I'm not sure what to do next or if I do anything at all?

tiahatti

Visit site
Why have they not called the vet? Have they given a reason to any of the other people who have voiced concerns?

Reactions: DD

holeymoley

Visit site
Do you know for certain it’s not seen a vet? Having just gone through severe laminitis, they can look sore for days, weeks even.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I actually sense nosey liveries.
How do you know he's not improved?! Two weeks isnt long for laminitis, chances are I'd be keeping him in.
How do you know she's not 'dealing with it'?
She's probably feeling pretty rubbish that she's got two poorly horses. I'd try and offer some help/kind words as long as she's coming twice a day and there's always food and water.

Shay

Visit site
If you are absolutely sure there has been no vet call WHW or the RSPCA. But if you are wrong and there has been a vet (and actually probably also if you are right) there is going to be an absolute witch hunt for who called.

If you absolutely genuinely believe the horses are neglected then you must do it. But be prepared to stand by your beliefs. It isn't as easy as posting on a forum!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I actually sense nosey liveries.
How do you know he's not improved?! Two weeks isnt long for laminitis, chances are I'd be keeping him in.
How do you know she's not 'dealing with it'?
She's probably feeling pretty rubbish that she's got two poorly horses. I'd try and offer some help/kind words as long as she's coming twice a day and there's always food and water.

I think that’s grossly unfair. Most of us on yards pretty much know what’s going on around us. Not due to nossiness but observation and taking an interest in the people and animals around us.

OP, if you’re genuinely concerned (and do know for a fact that neither horse is receiving adequate care), then I’d call WHW.

babymare

Visit site
I think that’s grossly unfair. Most of us on yards pretty much know what’s going on around us. Not due to nossiness but observation and taking an interest in the people and animals around us.

OP, if you’re genuinely concerned (and do know for a fact that neither horse is receiving adequate care), then I’d call WHW.

I agree Amymay that the nosey livery comment was unfair. I spent a lot of time at my yard and became very concerned of a pony left in for long long periods without anyone attending and left with no hay or water and reported to YO who did act but I did get threatened with a pitch fork after it lol

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Not everyone with horses look after them properly and I think you can generally get an idea who these people are, I would ask outright if the horse has seen a vet chances are it hasn't if she has another one with grungy eyes and she's treating with baby wipes, this owner doesn't exactly sound like a good one does she!

Beausmate

Visit site
I'd call WHW. Someone reported me to them a couple of years ago and I had a nice chat on the phone with the chap who had visited (he'd had a look while I wasn't there and left a note on the gate) who said that they always follow up a call. He asked a few questions about what was going on and why, was perfectly happy with the explanation and went away satisfied there wasn't actually any problem and it was just someone overreacting.

They are experienced and tactful people and would hopefully get to the bottom of the situation without causing too much trouble. I wonder if the owner of the horses has money problems that are putting them off calling a vet out and will probably be very defensive.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I wonder whether it would help if maybe a couple of you from your yard just went and had a chat with the owner(s) of these horses; keep it friendly and chatty, and ask is there anything you can do to help.

That would be a starting point; IF at that point the owner(s) say they haven't had the vet in for either the laminitic or the eye problem, then you could at that point voice your concerns and say that actually a few from the yard ARE a bit concerned, etc etc., and then you can say words to the effect of look if you DON'T do something (presuming they haven't had the vet) then sorry but you're gonna find yourself reported to one of the welfare societies.

Wondering if a softly-softly approach in the first instance, backed up by an offer to help; THEN if the situation is indeed as bad as you and your yard chums consider it to be, you are laying it on the line that you WILL report as a welfare situation.

Just a suggestion anyway, FWIW.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I wonder whether it would help if maybe a couple of you from your yard just went and had a chat with the owner(s) of these horses; keep it friendly and chatty, and ask is there anything you can do to help.

That would be a starting point; IF at that point the owner(s) say they haven't had the vet in for either the laminitic or the eye problem, then you could at that point voice your concerns and say that actually a few from the yard ARE a bit concerned, etc etc., and then you can say words to the effect of look if you DON'T do something (presuming they haven't had the vet) then sorry but you're gonna find yourself reported to one of the welfare societies.

Wondering if a softly-softly approach in the first instance, backed up by an offer to help; THEN if the situation is indeed as bad as you and your yard chums consider it to be, you are laying it on the line that you WILL report as a welfare situation.

Just a suggestion anyway, FWIW.
This is what I'd do. Sorry if I was originally harsh BUT without you talking to the owner I worry how much you can base your next action on fact.
I just find it strange how you know a horse in a different field to yours and on box rest isn't improving at all.

stormox

Visit site
I think its awful that people are so keen to post on forums behind the owners back, or even think about phoning WHW without even speaking to the owner!
Surely this should be the first thing to do. How do you know the owner isnt acting under vets instructions? There isnt a lot can be done for laminitis except keeping in, thick bedding (and maybe prascend if vet prescribes it).
So you think the other pony has conjunctivitis? Again, speak to owner!!
Theres something badly wrong in a world where no one speaks to each other!

pippixox

Visit site
its very tricky, as there are many factors with laminitis. you don't know that they haven't sought advise. my vets would probably say to box rest and soak hay, not x-ray straight away. although they would probably want to come out to prescribe Bute (although they may already have some and be using it). I do tend to get the vet if in doubt, but my friend had a pony with reaccurant laminitis (cushings relatated) and she didn't always get a vet out when she knew what she was dealing with. it would sometimes take more than a week after a flare up.

I don't blame you for wondering what it going on. I have been next to other owners who have ignored some serious issues with their horses, and it has been horrible. but I have only done as much as I can, letting them know there is a problem and trying to give friendly advise. normally they have then acted and not been at a point where I have tried to contact welfare.

Equi

Visit site
As said, many will just say box rest and soak hay. My mare was "diagnosed" by a video i sent my vet, so she didn't see the vet for about 2 or 3 weeks and when she did he basically opened the trailer door and said yeah keep at it. Eventually got a second opinion and she didn't have laminintis at all. Ive had runny eyes and have treated them myself with teabags and never called a vet. Point being, you don't know what the owner has been doing and not telling you/how well they are taking care of it.

kc921

Visit site
I've managed to speak to the owners and I expressed my concerns to them, they have now called a vet for both the horses to be looked at, so good result at the end 😊

Just to add it wasn't liveries being nosey, it was liveries who were concerned for the welfare of these horses as the one with bad eyes was still being ridden, you could tell she was uncomfortable, she was refusing to move at all (which normally isn't the case).
Thank you for all your replies 😊