WWYD Electric fence

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I moved to a new yard in December and up until now everything has been fine.

I currently have my ponies on a track system which has been up all summer. It is set as I have always done it and its the same as others on the yard who also have a track system.

On Saturday I had a very strongly worded text from yo basically saying she didn't like it, my horses were in danger and I needed to correct it immediately as she would show me how to put up an electric fence. Nobody else at the yard has to change theirs and it's exactly the same. The tape it checked and tightened daily and there us no loose bits for them to catch themselves on.

I wasn't very happy with the way I was spoken to and we sat down and had a chat but yo wouldn't budge so she want to redo the fencing which we are doing Wednesday. She said fencing as it is can remain until then ( obviously not that dangerous).

My concern is the way she wants it done, and in part the fact no one else has to do it. At the corners so wants to put an additional post about a foot away and put it like a tent peg with baling twine tied to the top of post with the fencing on a the bottom of the other creating a line on the ground.

To me this doesn't feel very safe. I see people trip over tent lines all the time when distracted and worried the ponies might catch themselves. Am I being a bit sensitive because I'm the only one being made to do this and this a good way or is the yo being unreasonable?

Since moving I've heard lots of bad things about the yard and no local will go there and yo has a reputation for being unreasonable which up to now I didn't find.

JillA

Visit site
If you aren't already, could you not compromise by putting two posts together? That makes it very stable as they brace each other, without the trip hazard.
But really, trust your ponies to be aware - I have an extension on my centre fence forming the track, to connect to the lead out cable and none of the horses have tripped on that.
Of course, if you think it isn't about the fence at all, you need to do some digging and questioning to find out why she has singled you out.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
Thanks. I will suggest it as an alternative but speaking with one of the other girls it's pretty much her way or the highway.

Apparently yo is notorious for outbursts and when in a bad mood will pick on silly things at random people.

The yard is lovely with great hacking and facilities and ponies happy so hoping this will blow over. Other liveries just said they keep their head down and just appease the yo

mytwofriends

Visit site
Do you/your horse like the yard otherwise? Is this something you do (albeit reluctantly) then move on?

If the YO is that volatile/unreasonable with other things too, and has begun to pick on just you in general, then I'm not sure I could deal with that. I'd start thinking about alternatives.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I would wonder why she had picked on your fence, if it is no different to any other fence on the yard.
Makes me think she wants to upset you so you will leave .