WWYD if you were me? Sorry long!

marioforever

Visit site
I have a 15.1 lightweight coloured mare who is 7. She is quite well schooled and does a really nice dressage test and is a very honest jumper. Will hack, although I havent done much as where she is kept it is very busy roads only. Problem is I am nearly 60 and this mare needs to go out and do more shows, hacking, clinics etc to further her education and I dont have the time or inclination to do this. She has some thoroughbred in her, so I would like to keep her brain active and she loves going out. She is good in all ways, but not being very worldly, does get a bit excited when out. I cant get a sharer as I keep her on DIY at a friends house, and my friend is naturally not keen on strangers going in there. As I see it, I have two choices. I can sell her or loan her. I would happily permanently loan to the right home, as feel I am coming to the end of my riding days, and at least if I did that, then I would be able to keep an eye on her or LWVTB. Or should I just sell her. The right home is important either way.
Thanks for reading.

paddi22

Visit site
she sounds like a lovely type. I'd sell her. There seems to be a stigma in selling horses sometime on the site, but a young horse like that will get snapped up for a good home. I bought a lovely horse recently and I know the owner struggled whether to sell him or not, and I'm so glad she did. If I was in your position I'd sell to the right buyer, and maybe suggest they let me know if they are selling.

p87

Visit site
I'd probably move to a different yard where I could get a sharer if I'm honest. It would mean the horse is still mine, I oversee all decisions regarding the horse, and as and when I feel up for it I can still enjoy riding. Sharer could perhaps do a bit of showing/schooling with her and I could potter around on hacks. That's what I'd do :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I would move her to a yard with good hacking for me and get a sharer who was keen to compete. That would offer the best of everything - you can have the pleasure of hacking and keep your interest in riding without the pressure of feeling the need to do more. You can be the proud owner when your horse competes. That would be my solution, but then I intend to ride until I can't anymore.

Zero00000

Visit site
Why sell her if you can also enjoy her but want her to do more? Bet you will miss her if she goes

Find a sharer and move her to a more suitable yard.

marioforever

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. Moving isnt an option as where I live there are very few DIY yards and both she and I are very happy at my friends. Obviously she would move if I full loan. I enjoy the schooling most but horse needs to hack and compete more. Really dont want to sell unless I loaned her to someone first as just want whats best for her. Think I will put adverts out for loan and she if anyone would like her.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Why don't you advertise her for sale? You don't have to sell her unless the perfect person for her comes along.

I understand that you want to keep an eye on her but if you put her out on loan, sooner or later you're probably going to have to take her back, so if you decide to loan you'll need to have a plan B in place for when/if that happens..

Regandal

Visit site
Have you discussed it with your friend who owns the yard? She may be more amenable to a sharer if she knows the person herself. Good luck whatever you decide. PS - any pics?

marioforever

Visit site
Thank you Buddy'sMum. I do realise that she may come back, and if she did, then I would probably turn her out on grass livery somewhere and keep her as a pet. Only problem is, if she is returned at this time of year, and fully clipped and in work, it would be too much of a shock to the system! Selling is probably best but I sold a very dear horse to a friend of mine, and due to her negligence, the horse had an accident and had to be put to sleep. Has made me regret selling him and I feel so guilty, because if I had kept him he would still be around. Decisions are never easy but for the horses sake I must make a decision lol

alainax

Visit site
Does she need to compete? :) unless you specifically want her too have that under her belt for selling in the future. I find it funny sometimes when people say that the horse needs to be out doing x y z hence for sale, as really, most might prefer just pottering around the field or some enjoyable schooling.

But anyway, that's not the point, you mentioned that you are coming to the end of your riding days, so its a loan or sell option. In which case try a Loan with view to buy :) It's a great position to be in as you are in no rush to sell, so can wait as long as you please to find the correct home.

marioforever

Visit site
Yes.she is lovely and so much fun for the right person. So if someone suitable comes along then they will get a
free horse and all her wardrobe. Wish I was younger and as brave as I was once, and then I could do some sj and xc along with the dressage (which is about all I am capable or confident doing now!) . Thank you for the replies. Look out for advert after Xmas please in HQ and if you know anyone for her please show them the ad.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Oddly, this was my problem, My Boy was needing things to do, and I just could not get him to a good home, I kept him for ages, and though it was not an ideal ending, and things were not as planned, I still think that selling him was the right thing.
I had a series of ponies and horses on loan, and owned, and I have had various unexpected health issues, but I do miss not having one to mess about with. If I had the facilities, and the cash, I would get a New Forest, ready to back in the spring, something a child could take on once it had been broken.
MrsD [I'm 67, but I'm not dead!]

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Seriously, you could let me look at her - will be looking for a loan horse or possible purchase (but was not going to start till the early spring!)
Long story, but ended up with no horse earlier this year, kind friend has loaned me one of hers currently, till easter :)

Whatever you do, hope it all goes well :)

marioforever

Visit site
Hi The Fuzzy Furry. I am also Sarf in the UK! Not in any hurry to get rid of her as can still manage to get on (Just!) and only because I have taught her to stand while I faff on a high mounting block so may be able to sort something out in the New Year as willing to keep til Easter if right person/home.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hi The Fuzzy Furry. I am also Sarf in the UK! Not in any hurry to get rid of her as can still manage to get on (Just!) and only because I have taught her to stand while I faff on a high mounting block so may be able to sort something out in the New Year as willing to keep til Easter if right person/home.

Ha! :biggrin3: FLF has had to learn to stand whilst mother gets on - and off - and also to be v good whilst mother stops to chat, leaves her on the box, takes her out & about - and be (very) nice to the mini.
Sent you a PM :)

Tiffany

Visit site
I'd probably move to a different yard where I could get a sharer if I'm honest. It would mean the horse is still mine, I oversee all decisions regarding the horse, and as and when I feel up for it I can still enjoy riding. Sharer could perhaps do a bit of showing/schooling with her and I could potter around on hacks. That's what I'd do :)

^^^ this^^^