WWYD in this situation?

Starbucks

Visit site
So I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm just having some stables built at my house and we've got 3 acres of grazing. Hoping stables will be up by May but they are being pretty slow! There are horses in the field next door.

My older horse died on good Friday so I am left with one horse, a 4yo I'm just starting.

I don't know what to do about a companion. She is at a livery yard at the mo and has a tendency to get a bit silly if she pals up with someone in the field so I'm tempted to try her on her own, but would that be a bit mean to her even though she has horses in the field next door?

OR

Get a pony as a companion, I've got a baby girl (9 months) so would be cool to get one for her to sit on.. But what pony do you get for a 9 month old??

OR

My mum has an old retired horse who could come and keep her company but he can be a bit riggy so worried about the silliness and he eats and poos A LOT! But on the plus side he could come out of retirement and help me get her hacking out etc.

What do you think???

Theocat

Visit site
Can she talk to the horses over the fence? If she can, it's no different to individual turnout. I'd be wary of putting her in with just one other - pair bonds can be horrendous. I'd try and get a couple of companions, if your land can stand it.

I'm sorry to hear about your old horse.

WelshD

Visit site
I'd go with option number 2 and look for a dog quiet lead rein British Riding Pony, they have less of a tendancy to run to fat like a native pony would

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'd actually try her for now on her own if she can see and talk to those next door. My reasoning would be she needs to focus on you while she's still a baby and not worry about leaving her friend (if you had one) as that's asking for bad behaviour; why give her an excuse to misbehave while she's still young? You can always get a small companion later once she's totally established and knows her manners and Baby will be that much older to enjoy a sit on too.

Starbucks

Visit site
I'd actually try her for now on her own if she can see and talk to those next door. My reasoning would be she needs to focus on you while she's still a baby and not worry about leaving her friend (if you had one) as that's asking for bad behaviour; why give her an excuse to misbehave while she's still young? You can always get a small companion later once she's totally established and knows her manners and Baby will be that much older to enjoy a sit on too.

I'm liking this. I want minimal hassle so I think this would be the most straight forward option IF she settles ok. Also my mums horse has a really nice (free) retirement home with lots of grass so I don't really want him to come and eat all mine if he doesn't have to! But we can have him on standby if she stresses out.

I think we will go with this plan. Cheers.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I'm so sorry for you - he was one of my favourite hho horses. He sounded like a proper big country horse and a proper hedge hopper. Sending you a big hug and happy hunting in the sky lovely Badger x

Starbucks

Visit site
I'm so sorry for you - he was one of my favourite hho horses. He sounded like a proper big country horse and a proper hedge hopper. Sending you a big hug and happy hunting in the sky lovely Badger x

Thank you. He was a really cracking horse. x

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Im sorry you lost the lovely Badger. But congratulations on your little girl.

Could you box your horse over while she's still on livery and turn her out, see how she reacts to being alone, and see whether seeing the other horses over the fence is enough. The only issue with that is you have no control over when they're turned in/out and when they change fields or ride out.

Personally I'd get a pair of ponies that can live out and be companions. I don't like horses alone.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I think as you only have 3 acres then I would try the youngster on his own, I don't think that land would support 2 or 3 horses easily.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about badger too, he was a lovely boy.

Congratulations on your daughter though. I can recommend WHW for 'free' ponies for little ones for the future :)

Haniki

Visit site
I'm another who remembers your lovely 'Badger'. I'm so sorry that you lost him to colic.
I lost my old horse to colic just before Christmas. This left her companion on her own, although we had a small pony in a field next to her.
However she wasn't happy and wouldn't use her field shelter as it was out of sight of the pony. Plus the poor pony's paddock got waterlogged with all the rain.
I put them in together in the end and they are both happy although I shall have to restrict their grazing once the grass gets going.
However, I am another who prefers horses to have company.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
What area are you in. I have the world's best mini Shetland kids pony looking for a top class loaner. Lead rein, ride and lead and first ridden, completely bomb proof and safe in all situations. In Scotland tho. He doesn't care if he's left alone so he wouldn't start any seperation carry on either. ;)

Anyway that's the sort of thing you want for your daughter if you are getting one, because then you will be able to ride out with her from a young age thus allowing you to have good horse time :)

Starbucks

Visit site
i tried to send you a PM FM but don't seem to be able to. Could you send me some details? Maybe I could come on a rap trip or we could get him shipped down or something. Sounds perfect! x

FfionWinnie

Visit site
i tried to send you a PM FM but don't seem to be able to. Could you send me some details? Maybe I could come on a rap trip or we could get him shipped down or something. Sounds perfect! x

He is perfect although did have sweet itch before I got him, it hasn't been an issue since we live on a windy hill where midges don't dare to fly. That's the only small thing if you lived in a midgy area. PM me on FB - Team SuperCob.

Daughter is 3 here and cantering and jumping off the lead in an open field.

5aa160d229c1454d3568625801674941_zps066c5eb9.jpg

d80aa3032cf1d6575fca1e293dfcd59b_zpsc6485524.jpg

b9bf0e65b2bfd73840709d79d7d2babe_zpsa73de450.jpg

Clipped out (good rosette winner which is important when you are 3!)

6672B435-B22B-4B0A-97CD-2FB9EDA33B47-26684-000018BCEE396A0B_zps6d6300d1.jpg

Ride and lead

ed97ad722179ef78478c1009c2037c8e_zps12333fe1.jpg

cavalo branco

Visit site
Aaaah! A seriously cute Titchy!! And jockey. Another person who is sad to hear about your lovely Badger, Starbucks. I think he had quite a following.....

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Post the video where shes shouting "faster Titchy!" I think its my favourite video of all time!

http://youtu.be/NJRn3ae320s

For anyone who missed it before, the voice over was caught by accident while my daughter videoed me jumping my own horse, she's talking to herself. 2 weeks later the phrophesy was fulfilled and she was cantering him on her own.

He has been a brilliant pony who we backed ourselves then had schooled for her to ride off the lead rein (obviously on long reins he is too small for anyone other than a child to ride).

We did have a tricky phase the first time I clipped him out as he seemed to not have noticed the previous year of being ridden on the lead rein (an inch of fluff probably dulls most things!) but he's since done a full stint teaching my daughter to do everything including mount from the ground. She is far too big now although occasionally hops on bare back.

I haven't been actively looking for a new home and certainly don't want to advertise but your post struck a cord with me so felt like I should mention him. He's too good to be standing around doing nothing and my daughter has finally accepted that we want someone else tiny to get the enjoyment she had. She's ridden him from about age 2.5- 6yrs and he has done thousands of KM in that time keeping pace and often outrunning the big horses (they both like to win races!), led my mental Welshies past terrifying killer tractors and been her best pal and totally trustworthy in all situations.

Would be rather nice if he got another HHO baby to look after ;)