WWYD - magensium levels?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've realised, via an unplanned experiment, that my mare is quite sensitive to mineral levels on a day to day basis. She didn't get her dose of minerals for about a week and she was awful to ride - ridiculously spooky and inattentive. Now back on her normal level and she is much better but still more reactive than I'd like. My instructor recommended phytolean (thank you to the HHOer who pointed me in right direction for spelling!) and I've looked at it but it seems to be mainly for horses with metabolic syndrome issues. I'm wondering if it's worth trying just upping the Mg levels before I try the more expensive supplement. Currently she gets Progressive Earth Pro-Mineral which gives around 9g of Mg per day. NRC say 7.5g is correct but I've also read about people routinely supplementing more, up to 25g/day.
Interested in views!

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I seem to have to keep mine on 2 scoops per day of Vetrocalm as every time I try and reduce it we get some silly behaviour. He took off with me out hacking today and yesterday had a big spook at nothing- not like him of recent so perhaps I need to keep him on what's essentially a double dose year round?

Maisie53

Visit site
I seem to have to keep mine on 2 scoops per day of Vetrocalm as every time I try and reduce it we get some silly behaviour. He took off with me out hacking today and yesterday had a big spook at nothing- not like him of recent so perhaps I need to keep him on what's essentially a double dose year round?
Just looked at vetrocalm. It looks shockingly expensive size for magnesium salt and mint might be worth buying ingredients separately.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I already balance minerals using a forage analysis and the NRC recommendations. I suspect this horse needs more Mg though, hence the question - my instructor has recommended a specific supplement but I'm wondering about just adding some extra Mg in the first instance. It's just for one horse, the other two are fine on the current recipe.

GinaGeo

Visit site
My understanding is that if they have too much Magnesium they will get a bit loose, so you can feed it to that point and then reduce.

Mine are on Pro Hoof and are getting an additional 10ml of Mag Ox a day. One didn’t tolerate that quantity when he wasn’t on good grass. But does now ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would just try magnesium oxide I have only had one who was became calmer we gave him 35g a day through summer less in winter .
He was 16.1 Clydesdale cross so quite a big horse .

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Vetrocalm contains magnesium chelate which is better absorbed than magnesium oxide. I understand the oxide is cheaper as it isn't that well absorbed?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I have mag ox from forage plus - if I forget to add it to the Appy's feed her crest comes up quickly.
How much do you feed? One of my others is looking a bit cresty, maybe he needs some extra too. I'll probably get from Progressive Earth, I get their Pro-mineral and have always been happy with it.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've bought it from forage plus and from ebay. I think if you buy it in a different form a d have to feed a slightly bigger amount you would still save alot of money.
Thanks I'll have a look. My boy seems to be sensitive to changes in the magnesium level so as much as i want to save money I'm a bit nervous of changing it....but definitely will look into it. Thanks.