WWYD?? Re. best stable / shelter setup for 1 or 2 horses

viceversa

Visit site
Following on from my post regarding renting my own land, I really can’t decide what setup will be best in terms of stable / field shelter.
Horse currently has to come in at night year round however I’m hoping to allow free access to a shelter / field when possible, rather than shutting him in, unless ground / weather really bad.
I currently only have the one horse but there is the possibility I may be getting another – current horse just coming back to work after injury so will depend how that goes.
I will also need a lockable storage area, whether this is part of the stable block or even a garden shed or container.
Part of me thinks just get a cheap shelter for now and see how I get on, part of me thinks no point in spending twice, may as well have a block of 2 stables and small store room and have lots of storage for now and potential to stable another horse in future.
WWYD?
Also any ideas how you’ve set up shelters (it will be on the earth on skids) – do I need bedding? Rubber matting? Etc …..
So many decisions!!! I’m used to being on livery with strict rules on turnout so never had to think about any of this.

Antw23uk

Visit site
We moved into a property about 8 months ago and it came with stables and land. The stable block is three stables and a tack/ feed room with some hard standing at the front. I put post and rail round the hardstanding to enclose the yard. It has a gate to the left of the pic below and two sets of slip rails at the front which has been invaluable this winter sharing the mud between the three entrances onto the yard. The yard is open, two of the stables are open and I use the third stable for hay and shavings ... oh and rugs, and the tack room for all my junk and tack.

My horses are out 24/7 with access to the yard and stables should they want it. I have only fed hay on the yard this winter which has worked very well and on three occasions I've locked them on the yard because of the weather and they've just stood either on yard or in a stable eating hay. Both horses get on well so they are fine together but I could potentially divide the yard with slip rails to give them a yard and stable each. It works really well :)

The%20Gambles_zpstfce4w9h.jpg

And a more recent one with the new mare.

15384377_10153870142251261_4993160846138148920_o_zps1mx4bjif.jpg

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmm I'm going through this same dilemma too!

Have looked at various ad's on-line and on FB.

There are a lot of firms that offer a delivery and erection service complete. A builder friend says to watch out for the "hidden extras" - such as odds-and-sods (labelled as "sundries"), whether "extras" such as doors and windows etc are included in the price or whether they are extra, also to check whether the roofing has guttering or whether this counts as an "extra"; also to check out whether they will lay a good foundation down or whether they just come and put the building up. Also check whether it will be secured and fastened down properly not just plonked on top of whatever foundation is there - we are in the SW of England in a wind-spot, and certainly wouldn't want the stable flying off in the frequent winter gales we get here!

Ohhh....... just re-read original post - if OP is renting rather than owning the land in question all the above is irrelevant unless the landowner has given their permission! If renting, then you need to (obviously) have something you can take down with you when you vacate the yard, but you will still need the landowner's permission to have it in place if it is something like a field shelter and any necessary permissions will need to be sought.

You need to talk to the landowner OP........... you never know, they may put something up for you!!!

Last edited:

crabbymare

Visit site
not seen your previous thread but if you are going to be renting you will need to see whats allowed by the owner of the land first. you may find that a mobile shelter will be the most you can realistically put there without getting planning permission or having the risk of a council that needs to see the building moved regularly (how do you intend to move it if that happens?) so probably best to plan for a shelter and some sort of small storage container or shed until you find out exactly where you will be and what you can do as you may even find somewhere that already has a building that you could use :).

meleeka

Visit site
I have a similar set up to the one above. Mine have free access to the stables but they are 'proper' stables should the need arise to have them in. I feed hay in the yarded area which is laid with paving slabs upside down so rough and not slippery. This means that whatever the fields are like I can always keep this area clean and tidy. They use the stables all year round so it's important to have more than one gateway to them.

I have just got a new barn opposite the stables. It was intended for a hay store one end and a tack room the other bit has a split door so I can use one end as a stable if need be. I didn't have a partition as I thought I could add it later if needs be when I decide what's best.

viceversa

Visit site
not seen your previous thread but if you are going to be renting you will need to see whats allowed by the owner of the land first. you may find that a mobile shelter will be the most you can realistically put there without getting planning permission or having the risk of a council that needs to see the building moved regularly (how do you intend to move it if that happens?) so probably best to plan for a shelter and some sort of small storage container or shed until you find out exactly where you will be and what you can do as you may even find somewhere that already has a building that you could use :).

Thanks for your reply, I've now sorted the paddock where I'm moving to and spoke to the land owner as to what's allowed. I can have either a shelter or stable, as long as it is on skids and not dug into the ground. I am permitted to anchor it down as long as the anchor points are on the outside and not the inside of the structure.
I've spoken to people on the adjoining paddocks rented off the same farm and there is a big mixture from small shelters to blocks of 3 stables and store room.

meleeka

Visit site
Weirdly out council allow anything on skids but won't allow a typical garden shed because it's not on skids!

If you are investing in a shelter or similar it's probably just as cheap to have a storeroom incorporated in that than to buy a separate shed and put skids on it.

viceversa

Visit site
If I were starting from scratch I would have one of those little blocks you see on ebay that are on skids with two stables facing inwards to a shelter area then I would put a gate across the shelter, I'd use one stable for storage leaving me one shelter and one stable

Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-36-H...562517?hash=item43f48b0d95:g:JBwAAOSw4GVYNNsb

I think the set up on this site, 4th and 5th in the top row, looks like a really good idea, two stables and a covered area which you can use as a shelter or store, not sure they can do that on skids but they seem to have a lot of options that would give you more ideas if you go on the facebook page.

http://www.fromestablesandshelters.epageuk.com/photo_gallery

I agree they both look really good! I saw the one on eBay on hunter stables Facebook page. May have to bite the bullet and make the budget stretch that far!

viceversa

Visit site
Mmmm I'm going through this same dilemma too!

Have looked at various ad's on-line and on FB.

There are a lot of firms that offer a delivery and erection service complete. A builder friend says to watch out for the "hidden extras" - such as odds-and-sods (labelled as "sundries"), whether "extras" such as doors and windows etc are included in the price or whether they are extra, also to check whether the roofing has guttering or whether this counts as an "extra"; also to check out whether they will lay a good foundation down or whether they just come and put the building up. Also check whether it will be secured and fastened down properly not just plonked on top of whatever foundation is there - we are in the SW of England in a wind-spot, and certainly wouldn't want the stable flying off in the frequent winter gales we get here!

Ohhh....... just re-read original post - if OP is renting rather than owning the land in question all the above is irrelevant unless the landowner has given their permission! If renting, then you need to (obviously) have something you can take down with you when you vacate the yard, but you will still need the landowner's permission to have it in place if it is something like a field shelter and any necessary permissions will need to be sought.

You need to talk to the landowner OP........... you never know, they may put something up for you!!!

Thanks, see my post below - I have checked with landowner exactly what is permitted :)
Would definitely need to fasten it down! The people on the adjoining paddock have used these metal corkscrew type things which fasten onto the wooden skids and screw into the ground. They seem pretty good! Prior to them using these, their shelter apparently did blow over the fence!

viceversa

Visit site
We moved into a property about 8 months ago and it came with stables and land. The stable block is three stables and a tack/ feed room with some hard standing at the front. I put post and rail round the hardstanding to enclose the yard. It has a gate to the left of the pic below and two sets of slip rails at the front which has been invaluable this winter sharing the mud between the three entrances onto the yard. The yard is open, two of the stables are open and I use the third stable for hay and shavings ... oh and rugs, and the tack room for all my junk and tack.

My horses are out 24/7 with access to the yard and stables should they want it. I have only fed hay on the yard this winter which has worked very well and on three occasions I've locked them on the yard because of the weather and they've just stood either on yard or in a stable eating hay. Both horses get on well so they are fine together but I could potentially divide the yard with slip rails to give them a yard and stable each. It works really well :)

That looks a fantastic setup! I don't believe we are permitted to put down concrete or hardcore but I was thinking I may be able to lay slabs or even field mats outside of the stables and create an area like you have with fencing, to limit the damage in winter. We are allowed to divide the paddock as we wish with fencing of our choice. We're pretty lucky in that it's all sand land round here so doesn't get too muddy.

viceversa

Visit site
I have a similar set up to the one above. Mine have free access to the stables but they are 'proper' stables should the need arise to have them in. I feed hay in the yarded area which is laid with paving slabs upside down so rough and not slippery. This means that whatever the fields are like I can always keep this area clean and tidy. They use the stables all year round so it's important to have more than one gateway to them.

I have just got a new barn opposite the stables. It was intended for a hay store one end and a tack room the other bit has a split door so I can use one end as a stable if need be. I didn't have a partition as I thought I could add it later if needs be when I decide what's best.

Good idea re. the slabs. I'm going to check whether this is permitted or I may use field mats outside the stables.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
I'm about to put in for planning permission. Moved in October and currently very muddy around field shelter. I've also had a letter from council to say I must apply or move the shelter every 3 months. As I need an area of hardstanding I'm going to decide what to do permanently and get planning (previous planning has been accepted but is out of date and both fields next to me have schools and stables)
I'll look at these links as well as I like the idea :)

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site

Are your water troughs automatic from your IBC tanks? If so how did you do this? I just have a tap off mine

LD&S

Visit site

Looks really good

lucky7

Visit site
If I were starting from scratch I would have one of those little blocks you see on ebay that are on skids with two stables facing inwards to a shelter area then I would put a gate across the shelter, I'd use one stable for storage leaving me one shelter and one stable

Like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-36-H...562517?hash=item43f48b0d95:g:JBwAAOSw4GVYNNsb

I have this exact set up. Stable at either end and an open shelter in the middle. One stable used as storage for hay and feed the other as a stable middle as an open shelter for my 2 horses so they can go in and out as they please. It's all set up on skids in hardcore and an outer hardcore area. The stable block/shelter I have soft rubber gym type matting down which was cheap off eBay. It's really soft and has lasted with shod horses. They use the shelter alot and I just pit a few slices of straw down and muck it our daily and hand 2 Haynets in there. It's worked really well and this is its first winter ☺

viceversa

Visit site
I have this exact set up. Stable at either end and an open shelter in the middle. One stable used as storage for hay and feed the other as a stable middle as an open shelter for my 2 horses so they can go in and out as they please. It's all set up on skids in hardcore and an outer hardcore area. The stable block/shelter I have soft rubber gym type matting down which was cheap off eBay. It's really soft and has lasted with shod horses. They use the shelter alot and I just pit a few slices of straw down and muck it our daily and hand 2 Haynets in there. It's worked really well and this is its first winter ☺

I think it's definitely my favourite set up I've seen so far, it's just whether I can justify / afford the price compared to a bog standard stable / shelter! Good to hear they go in it, knowing my luck id spend all that money and he would be petrified of it lol!

meesha

Visit site
Cheapest option is 24x12 field shelter with 2 x 6ft openings which you can put couple 6ft gates on (I would use metal strong mesh to cover gate to stop horse putting foot through gate) if need to shut them in, if you want to have 2 stables then use 12ft gate in centre which can be removed. Not sure where you are but basic bu ilding 24x12 foot with 2 openings £800 from chap in Frome, you will need to add guttering/gates at own expense not sure if you could build it on skids.... Mine is built into sleepers.

Just seen other link is to Frome supplier!! Pleased with mine from him...

Last edited:

viceversa

Visit site
Cheapest option is 24x12 field shelter with 2 x 6ft openings which you can put couple 6ft gates on (I would use metal strong mesh to cover gate to stop horse putting foot through gate) if need to shut them in, if you want to have 2 stables then use 12ft gate in centre which can be removed. Not sure where you are but basic bu ilding 24x12 foot with 2 openings £800 from chap in Frome, you will need to add guttering/gates at own expense not sure if you could build it on skids.... Mine is built into sleepers.

Just seen other link is to Frome supplier!! Pleased with mine from him...

I agree that would be the cheapest however I do feel quite tempted by the snazzy designs mentioned above! We're based in east mids. They seem to be able to build pretty much anything on skids lol! ... some of the structures don't exactly look temporary ...

What does everyone do with regards to bedding / mats in shelters and stables which are on an earth base?

TheMule

Visit site
I have a large double shelter with 2 entrances for the horses and a garden shed for all their stuff- works really well. Mine is on hard standing and fenced into a large pen with post and rail with 2 possible exits into 2 seperate paddocks so it can be used in different ways