Wwyd re stable or living out

Dufus

Visit site
I posted a few days ago as I have a horse with an injury who i was all set to turn away however I'm having terrible cold feet and in the mean time another option has come up of a stable elsewhere so option 1 is:-
Grass livery only , 4.1 miles from home , only £100 pcm with hay, arena on site.

Or option 2:-
Stable and grazing with arena in the pipeline , 8.6 miles from home £150pcm all in for diy and turnout etc on top.

At the moment she is lame but it making big improvements every day and barely looks lame now.

At first I was dead set to turn away and give her 6 months to make a full recovery however she is currently stabled in a yard with clay soil and the fields are really bad and they all get mud fever , I'm worried if I turn her away and she gets mud fever badly but then she may not as totally different soil and no mud at all at the moment, however when she does have it she has weeks and weeks of antibiotics and box rest as it's so bad so I'm really conflicted over what to do.

Any advice would be really appreciated especially managing mud fever in a grass kept horse

be positive

Visit site
I would still turn away, it is less risky from the point of view of the injury if they are settled and not rushing off every morning when turned out, it has been a very dry winter so unless something changes dramatically the field should remain mud free, in my experience when they live out and are not going through muddy gateways twice a day, or hanging about waiting to come in, they are far less likely to get mud fever or any other ailment.
So far this winter I have not seen any of mine with mud above their coronets and their legs have been totally dry, never known a winter like it so take advantage let her go out and be a scruff for a few months.

Just to add my yard is on heavy clay and while one or two may get a touch of mud fever it is not a given that they get it, most never do and they rarely require any veterinary treatment, so I would take it that something is wrong in the yard, management or something in the soil, rather than it being unavoidable even on deep muddy clay, although as I have already said we have no mud this winter which is making life so much easier in many ways.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why not go for your original plan and turn her completely away for 6 months, you may find she doesnt get mud fever at the new place and if she does you need to catch it straight away and treat. i assume it will be you checking her daily so you should be able to keep on top of it....if you think she is very likely to get it why not put something on her legs as a barrier...i think others on here have used some sort of barrier cream or oil to coat their legs before they go out. sorry cant remember what they have used as i havent had this problem even though my horses have always been on clay soil...

Dufus

Visit site
why not go for your original plan and turn her completely away for 6 months, you may find she doesnt get mud fever at the new place and if she does you need to catch it straight away and treat. i assume it will be you checking her daily so you should be able to keep on top of it....if you think she is very likely to get it why not put something on her legs as a barrier...i think others on here have used some sort of barrier cream or oil to coat their legs before they go out. sorry cant remember what they have used as i havent had this problem even though my horses have always been on clay soil...
Yes I'll be feeding her and checking her everyday I've just never had a field kept horse so flapping now and her mud fever has led to cellulitis for the last 4 years at current yard so now panicking incase this happens whilst turned away.

I really like the yard with the stable as it's much more for me that living out but probably because she's never lived out before but further away and more than field livery but will still save on my current costs of around £330 assisted DIY .

I am the worst decision maker and just want to do what is right for my horse and feel like I don't know what that is anymore at the moment

Dufus

Visit site
I would still turn away, it is less risky from the point of view of the injury if they are settled and not rushing off every morning when turned out, it has been a very dry winter so unless something changes dramatically the field should remain mud free, in my experience when they live out and are not going through muddy gateways twice a day, or hanging about waiting to come in, they are far less likely to get mud fever or any other ailment.
So far this winter I have not seen any of mine with mud above their coronets and their legs have been totally dry, never known a winter like it so take advantage let her go out and be a scruff for a few months.

Just to add my yard is on heavy clay and while one or two may get a touch of mud fever it is not a given that they get it, most never do and they rarely require any veterinary treatment, so I would take it that something is wrong in the yard, management or something in the soil, rather than it being unavoidable even on deep muddy clay, although as I have already said we have no mud this winter which is making life so much easier in many ways.

Yes it definitely in the land they all have issues at the yard in one way or another so staying there is not an option.

The facilities at either of my options are neither here nor there at the moment either until she (hopefully) comes back into work so I suppose it boils down to stable or no stable and how her skin will cope , I'm just really worried about turning her away and then she doesn't cope and I've passed up a stable at a really lovely yard

be positive

Visit site
Yes I'll be feeding her and checking her everyday I've just never had a field kept horse so flapping now and her mud fever has led to cellulitis for the last 4 years at current yard so now panicking incase this happens whilst turned away.

I really like the yard with the stable as it's much more for me that living out but probably because she's never lived out before but further away and more than field livery but will still save on my current costs of around £330 assisted DIY .

I am the worst decision maker and just want to do what is right for my horse and feel like I don't know what that is anymore at the moment

I would say the issue is the current yard, no horse should get serious mud fever 4 years in a row, a change may be just what she needs to get her immune system in better shape, she is not you and doesn't need to go into a nice bed every night, save the money, have some free time and enjoy the freedom which she is sure to.

paddi22

Visit site
Turn her away definitely. I had a disaster of a sensitive tb and he coped perfectly in very rough grazing. When they have enough space the ground doesn't get as churned up, and they aren't stuck around gateways. If it doesn't work then you have the option to look for a yard, but give it a go. i genuinely thought my lad wouldn't survive, but he was so happy and coped perfectly in all weather, never got any mud fever

Dufus

Visit site
I would say the issue is the current yard, no horse should get serious mud fever 4 years in a row, a change may be just what she needs to get her immune system in better shape, she is not you and doesn't need to go into a nice bed every night, save the money, have some free time and enjoy the freedom which she is sure to.

Yes your right I'm definitely putting human emotions on her and we do have a new house to renovate so the freeing up of some time would definitely be a benefit. I agree with you on the boosting of her immune system as it's definitely none existent, the mud fever has been so bad that she has had to have strong antibiotics every time and I certainly don't want that to happen again.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if she has got mud fever for the last 4 years while having a stable, its not been working well , so make the change to completely out and see how she gets on. you may be pleasantly surprised...and its going to be no worse than where she is now...

Dufus

Visit site
I suppose I probably see turning away as a short term option and if she comes sound then I'd probably want to move her to the yard further from home with a stable as I see that as the long term place I would like to be but I suppose if she doesn't come sound enough to be ridden then she might as well stay turned away I just wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to move to a nice yard that I think is more suitable than current yard where she would still be stabled over night in winter and out on better land

Shooting Star

Visit site
Brave pants on (for you!) and turn out 😀

When she comes good you’ll have time to look for somewhere with more facilities whilst you’re building her up again and riding on grass as opposed to a soft arena surface will be much better for one with old ligament injuries too if there is somewhere to ride at the grass livery.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I rough my horses off every winter and they come back in, in spring feeling great, looking great and practically trying to put their own bridles on they are so keen to work! I say stick with original plan and turn away. Do it :)

Dufus

Visit site
I rough my horses off every winter and they come back in, in spring feeling great, looking great and practically trying to put their own bridles on they are so keen to work! I say stick with original plan and turn away. Do it :)
I've just seen that were expecting another "beast from the east" with temperatures feeling like minus 17, how do you cope with extreme weather like that? I hope it's doesn't come right when my poor horse is about to be turned away , that would be a shock to the system for her

be positive

Visit site
I've just seen that were expecting another "beast from the east" with temperatures feeling like minus 17, how do you cope with extreme weather like that? I hope it's doesn't come right when my poor horse is about to be turned away , that would be a shock to the system for her

They cope perfectly well if given enough hay to eat and have access to water, far better than in constant rain, mine will stay out, even the clipped ones but I will increase their hay so they can eat more to keep warm and the ones that are not yet rugged probably will be, the ones living out were far better off last winter than the ones in at night that were stuck in because the yard was too dangerous to walk them over for a couple of days.

paddi22

Visit site
Yeah once you stick forage in, have good rugs and their water doesn't freeze up, it's actually very little hassle for you or them. Mine pottered happily around 3ft of snow last year. They didn't lose weight or find it hard at all.

pippixox

Visit site
they quickly remember how to just be a horse when turned out full time, and it is better for them when you have the opportunity, regardless of injury or not. you could still keep them out and work them at the grazing livery, plus save a lot of money!
as it is winter now, Im sure you can see how well or not the field is holding up?

I have an ex-racer, who was mostly stabled for the first 8 years of life, but he took to living out, a few years later after a yard move, within 2 weeks, with just a few weeks of adjustment as he was not used to sleeping in the field!

when it gets really cold they stay warmer out moving, just put a warm rug on.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We're on heavy clay soil and it burns their legs like dry concrete does. My horses only became susceptible to mud fever after moving to an area with clay. If the grass livery has good soil and isn't a bog, I'd go with that option.

Dufus

Visit site
The grass livery has no mud at the moment so holding up well, i'm just doubting my decision incase i'm making it becuase grass livery is nearer or cheaper than stable option and i really like the stable option so if that was in the location of the grass livery option then maybe i would have gone there, i don't know! i just want to do what is right for the horse and i just don't know what that is and spoke to vet who wasn't much use and she said take her to the "safer "option , like what does that even mean! other than the vet doesn't want her ot have turnout in a large field or with a lot of horses so i suppose from that aspect then grass livery is the "safer" option as only 2 horses and quite a small field compared to the stable option but i asked the vet would she rather my horse was in overnioght and still resting the leg with daily turnout or out everyday keeping it moving she just didn't answer ( or maybe couldn't i'm not sure) so feel even more unsettled and unsure of what to do however your all making me feel a lot better about turning away with your responses

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
the problem with stabling overnight to rest the injury is that they can sometimes have a hooley when you turn them out and that will be worse for the injury.... staying turned out with a couple of quiet horses sounds like a good option ...she should stay settled and therefore the injury will have a chance to heal....

Dufus

Visit site
the problem with stabling overnight to rest the injury is that they can sometimes have a hooley when you turn them out and that will be worse for the injury.... staying turned out with a couple of quiet horses sounds like a good option ...she should stay settled and therefore the injury will have a chance to heal....

Yeah that is true, I am on the edge of just making the leap and turning her away but the mud fever worry is still niggling away at me ☹️ she she's had it so badly each winter and has white legs with pink skin that is she now just going to have it for the rest of her life as the vet did say once they have it they tend to be prone to it and the damage to the skin has already been done

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I would definately choose the grass livery. IMO I think its better than stabling with a long term injury. I had one who seriously damaged his DDFT, vet said 6 months box rest. After a month he was bronking round the stable and was dangerous to take out in hand for his "controlled" walks, so I put him in a small paddock and he immediately settled down and came sound quicker than they expected.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
but she has had mud fever while being stabled at night so a change of management may be the best thing for her. only you can make the decision as none of us know her ...if you try turning her away and it doesnt work , is there another yard that you could go to? if so you could take the chance with confidence....good luck, its not an easy decision...

Dufus

Visit site
Personally I would definately choose the grass livery. IMO I think its better than stabling with a long term injury. I had one who seriously damaged his DDFT, vet said 6 months box rest. After a month he was bronking round the stable and was dangerous to take out in hand for his "controlled" walks, so I put him in a small paddock and he immediately settled down and came sound quicker than they expected.
Yes I feel your pain, we can't walk in hand without being out of control! That's what I hope will happen 😊

Dufus

Visit site
but she has had mud fever while being stabled at night so a change of management may be the best thing for her. only you can make the decision as none of us know her ...if you try turning her away and it doesnt work , is there another yard that you could go to? if so you could take the chance with confidence....good luck, its not an easy decision...
Yes that is true, I just worry that if she's just gonna have it all the time and she's out then I don't know what I would do, unfortunately no there's not , I would have to look around and see if any had a space to take her. It certainly isn't an easy decision at all, if only I was a millionaire and could buy my own place lol

Theocat

Visit site
If you're disciplined about using something like pig oil or Muddy Buddy it could help - although a change of ground and no mud could, hopefully, mean you're okay anyway.

The other benefit to 24/7 turnout is that it is psychologically easier to leave them enough time to heal. If they "look better" there would be more of a temptation in your usual routine to start work too early. I'd give a few months' rest even after she looks sound.

Dufus

Visit site
Well after all of the encouragement from you lovely people to turn my mare away I was all prepared for next weekend and about to order a new rug and then the vet who operated on her leg from the hospital rang so explained where we are at and that I am turning her away and he said he really wouldn't , he thinks the risk of reinjury is too high and that she should be stabled overnight and forced to rest it even though I pointed out that she would only live out with 2 horses and would be out with a lot more at the stabling option. Is he just saying that because he's a vet and being over cautious? Are they less likely to recommend turnout over stabling? I'm so confused I don't know what is right and wrong for her anymore 🙈

tankgirl1

Visit site
Well after all of the encouragement from you lovely people to turn my mare away I was all prepared for next weekend and about to order a new rug and then the vet who operated on her leg from the hospital rang so explained where we are at and that I am turning her away and he said he really wouldn't , he thinks the risk of reinjury is too high and that she should be stabled overnight and forced to rest it even though I pointed out that she would only live out with 2 horses and would be out with a lot more at the stabling option. Is he just saying that because he's a vet and being over cautious? Are they less likely to recommend turnout over stabling? I'm so confused I don't know what is right and wrong for her anymore 🙈

I have no advice really, but from reading the thread it sounds like you would feel happier with the second option with the stable.

Dufus

Visit site
I have no advice really, but from reading the thread it sounds like you would feel happier with the second option with the stable.
From a human point of view I would but I think I felt so encouraged to give living out a go I then did feel that it was right for her and to give her the best break emotionally and physically and hopefully time to heal, I decided I would deal with the mud fever if and when it comes and go from there and then the vet rang today! And now he has said that I don't know if that is the best thing for her as read so much into the advantages of living out and accepted that my horse wouldn't melt! But don't want to go against his advice and think I know better when he's a specialist at a vet hospital and I'm just an owner who doesn't know where to turn lol