WWYD? Rehoming pair of ponies

Muddle

Visit site
Hi,

My OH's mother passed away and we have inherited her two pet ponies, both piebald traditional cob mares. 14.2hh who is smart enough to show, she was lightly backed a year ago. The other is 12.2hh and completely unbroken. OH is attached to them & very reluctant to let them go but they are only 7 years old and completely wasted. I placed an advert yesterday and have been shocked by the level of interest. I haven't bought or sold a horse since 2015 so suspect I have probably under priced them!

I am unsure of the best way & place to advertise them, OH wants them to go together and I am getting offers to take them both but these are people looking to resell after bringing them on, not sure if it is better to split them up to have a better chance of finding long term homes? Due to the size difference I don't think its unlikely they will find a long term home together. They have been together since they were 2 and it would be difficult for me to be left with one as the only other horses onsite are my two geldings, who have kept together over 10 years and one is quite possessive of the other.

Any ideas or suggestions and opinions of pricing individually vs as a pair?

Thanks in advance!

canteron

Visit site
Maybe look for a really good sales livery to sell them.

It won’t be the cheapest route but you can put lots of provisos and have an initial buffer between you and any new owner.

I am suspecting that in the long term if your OH could keep tabs on their progress it would help the inevitable grieving process and in the long term that would be more important than the financial side?

Trouper

Visit site
I wouldn't rush this - if you are able to look after them for a bit. It is not just a case of selling two ponies, it is part of the grieving process for your OH and it will be easier for everyone to move forward if you are all totally happy with the outcome of your decisions. I certainly would not sell to the first people who are wanting to come and take them immediately.

I, too, would go down the charity route if you can. It would give the ponies a period of adjustment and give you peace of mind that their future would be monitored by the charity.

stangs

Visit site
It’s a shame they’re not closer in size, or there might have been people wanting them as a driving pair.

Whatever you do, I wouldn’t sell them to someone looking to resell - I doubt they’d be there long enough to form new bonds with other horses.

Just had a look at the ad though, and the pair of them would be exactly what I was looking for if I was looking. Fingers crossed for you that you find them a good home together.

Backtoblack

Visit site
This could be the sort of case a charity would be able to take on. Google if there are any small local ones and contact them and ask for advice. If you sell them individually you are likely to be left with one on its own for a while, so not ideal.
echo this, completely agree, find a charity to take them on, they can back them and school them and fin them lovely homes.

Regandal

Visit site
Someone with children of varying ages would be the ideal buyer. Could you get them backed and schooled on a bit yourself, this would increase their chances of finding a good home?
Charities are stretched, but I suppose you could give them a sizeable donation.
Hoping you find a good solution for them.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Charities are stretched, but I suppose you could give them a sizeable donation.
Hoping you find a good solution for them.

They really arent. Lots arent even accepting people on a waiting list to rehome a pony. Older or companion types might be an issue, but nice ridden ponies wouldnt be.

JackFrost

Visit site
Do not underestimate the amount of distress it may cause to be suddenly separated. If you do not know how they will react if parted, you cannot sell with confidence that they or a potential buyer will be happy in the new home.
I would put them out on loan strictly as a pair, and ideally into a herd environment where they can start to form bonds with other horses.
I do not think it would be kind to sell separately when they have been together so long. If you are getting so much interest you can be fussy about the home they go to.
You would need to be very clear in any advertising what it is you are looking for, whether as sale or loan, and wait for the right home.

Backtoblack

Visit site
They really arent. Lots arent even accepting people on a waiting list to rehome a pony. Older or companion types might be an issue, but nice ridden ponies wouldnt be.
Agree theres a shrtage of potentially rideable ponies in the charities at the moment. one i volunteer at has people wanting riding horses but they are in very short supply.

SO1

Visit site
How desperate are you for funds from the sale. They are the sort of ponies that could be of use to RDA or a riding school which would not separate them if they had a bit of schooling. If they go to RDA OH I expect would be able to visit and it might be quite nice to donate or loan them to RDA in memory of his mum. There is one in Surrey which is looking for small and larger weight carriers.

https://www.horsequest.co.uk/3/ponies-for-sale/105/loan/227/loan-ponies

Muddle

Visit site
OH’s mother passed away a year ago, I have been looking after them since she became unwell in 2019, I find keeping 4 a struggle and can’t continue to keep them.

I would be happy to give them to the right charity, any suggestions? I am SE England but we could transport them.

Arzada

Visit site
I would remove all adverts. Then I would consider the suggestions made by other posters. Loaning may be the answer to secure their ongoing good care.

I'm not looking now but for someone like me looking for only one ridden horse about 14.2 hh and needing a companion your couple with a ready made companion would be a great find. There will be someone like me who would really value these two and would be happy to buy or loan.

I would be prepared for this to take as long as it takes to secure the home that you, your OH (and his mother) would be happy with. Wishing you good fortune in finding them the best home you can.

ozpoz

Visit site
If your other half is attached to them and is reluctant to let them go, why do you feel you must take charge and sell them? They aren’t “wasted” being horses together, they have no HOY‘s ambitions.
I would be sensitive to his feelings as a recently bereaved, and I imagine the ponies will give him some comfort.

webble

Visit site
Could your OH help or pay for some help so you aren't struggling? Is it you that's pushing to sell because of the work involved (understandable)

In the meantime speak to world horse welfare, redwing and bransby with regards to long term loan homes together. Rspca sign the ownership over after a while so might not be an option depending on what your OH wants. Good luck

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Please do contact the RDA group, if OH is happy to do so. I volunteer with a local group and we would be happy to provide the pair with homes in exchange for being able to loan 2 potentially useful ponies. In fact, we are looking for a bigger weight carrier and would love to be offered a loan, with the prices as they are currently.

SO1

Visit site
I think the RDA is your best bet if they are well handled non spooky and have nice temperaments. They are young enough for someone to invest in their training and for them to offer years of service to an RDA. With the smaller one even if you can't get a rider small enough to back if you can get to accept a saddle that would be a starting point and the RDA may accept both. The 14.2 is potentially quite valuable so RDA they may accept both in order to get the 14.2.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think the 14.2hh would be too forward going for the RDA.

The group I volunteer with has had ponies who, when they are not RDAing have been WH, SJ, hunting, hunter-trialling, showing, they adapt to their riders' requirements. Most RDA groups have their horses led. There are only a very few riders who can manage a horse/pony independently. You will only know if the ponies are suitable if you contact the group, they will be able to tell you.

Arzada

Visit site

catkin

Visit site
Don't know if this could help -

The Mare and Foal Sanctuary has launched a new scheme to help owners to privately rehome ponies into suitable homes. There is a piece about it in their latest newsletter.

Website link is

www.mareandfoal.org/help-to-home

They are a good charity, we have one of their ponies on loan and they are very helpful.