WWYD - rugging (sorry!)

Denbob

Visit site
Denzel will soon be going on holiday livery (all being well) for a month where he'll be checked by staff Monday - Friday. He'll be out 24/7 in a herd with plenty of natural shelter although on a bit of a hill. He's quite a warm horse, not a wimpy type at all (unrugged during the snow down to -5 and toasty while stabled) but has an Irish clip.

Would you send with rugs for bad weather (heavy wind and rain) but otherwise ask to leave naked? Or just leave him?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Leave him unrugged now and ask for him to be unrugged. Take a rug with you in case they want to keep it for an emergency!
this is what I would do. It's always handy to have the option just in case but if he is normally unrugged I wouldn't change things at this stage.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'd send a lightweight rug in case of severe rain and wind or illness. We have a field of hardy horses that winter out unrugged, but when we have days of unrelenting heavy rain, some of them get rugged to maintain their condition and stop them being miserable.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If you were sending to me, I'd respect your wish to leave him unrugged but ask you to bring at least 2 rugs with him.
If weather turned v cold and wet for prolonged period, he could have one on if necessary, the other would be a spare in case 1st one broke or got wrecked.

Hope he has a good holiday :)

Denbob

Visit site
That sounds fair! I'll be going up at weekends so can keep an eye on weather and drop up appropriate stuff - knowing him a spare is definitely a good idea... Thanks all!