WWYD?... Schooling home or away?

CBFan

Visit site
As some of you know, I am out of action for 6 weeks due to a broken foot. Given the stage I am at with my youngster's schooling and fitness I would really like him to continue to be worked while I am out of action.

Thankfully a friend and my instructor have agreed to work him for me 2 days a week each which will be enough to hopefully keep his fitness up and improve him at least slightly (both much more competent riders than me) and then my dad will look after the day to day care, with possibly a little help from a friend. This would cost me the least on top of my DIY Livery but also relies on a lot of favours - particularly from my dad...

Other option is to send him somewhere but I don't know of anywhere first hand to send him...

One place I have been recomended is coming in at about £1600 for just 4 weeks and is so far away that I would probably only be able to visit once or twice while he is there (I can't drive ATM). Another , that I have found through google searches is coming in at around about half that and is closer to home. The main benefit of both of these is not having to worry about people helping me out, the main downside is neither of these places knowing ME or MY Horse and the potential for getting him in particular very wrong...

So WWYD? Stay at home with people you and he knows and trusts and buy a V big box of chocs for everyone at the end of it or send him away into the unknown...? I think I've answered my own question here... lol!

Littlelegs

Visit site
If he's going well at home, just pay them. Instructor I assume you are doing anyway. Friend & dad either give cash or a good present. If friend has horses you could buy hay/feed/bedding whatever weekly instead of cash if she'd prefer. And buy dad tickets for something he enjoys. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Annette4

Visit site
Having seen what happened to a friends mare who was sent for breaking and schooling I would stick with what you're doing and as littlelegs has said...compensate dad/friend/instructor.

Wheels

Visit site
Home definitely

I would only let my youngster go away if a) it was to my trainer & b) that trainer was close enough and happy enough for me to visit at least a couple of times a week & unannounced.

CBFan

Visit site
Thanks, yes, this is what I am thinking... He's not your stereotypical 'difficult' horse by any means but he has his quirks and it would be very easy for someone to deal with him in the wrong way... then there is the issue of feeding and risk of lami etc that would just worry me if he were anywhere but home... you hear of so many horror stories too...

Even if I pay my friend, at least in kind, it works out cheaper, plus I have the peace of mind of knowing that they both know what they are doing. I am already paying for friend to have a lesson with my instructor so everyone knows what page we are starting from :) and am now thinking of getting her a good pressie (some new yard boots, clothes or something)

Will also have to think of a decent pressie for my dad.

ets, my instructor would have him but doesn't have a stable that he could get him into (stable big enough but doorway not!)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Agree with above, home certainly, could you look into freelance person to do some of the care side of things to give your dad the weekends off or something similar?

When I was pregnant I had a lovely lady come in to muck out, turn out etc. she was £8 an hour but reliable and knowledgable.